Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Propranolol/bisopropol at night to prevent nocturnal Afib?

Posted by Willie 
Propranolol/bisopropol at night to prevent nocturnal Afib?
January 27, 2017 04:31AM
I suffer from reaction to Bisoprolol...fatigue, physical depression and feel lousy. Thought of substituting half a tablet of propranolol at night instead? My Afib tends to kick in during night......and I would normally take the propranolol to kick back into NSR. Any thoughts? thank you
Re: Propranolol/bisopropol at night to prevent nocturnal Afib?
January 28, 2017 09:26AM
Willie,

Nocturnal AF may suggest a vagally-mediated form. Beta blockers can actually aggravate vagal AF (as they did in my case), because they slow the heart down (same thing the vagus nerve does). Without knowing any more details about your case, I'd suggest talking to your EP or cardio about perhaps a pill-in-pocket approach using flecainide (an anti-arrhythmic) for sporadic episodes.
January 30, 2017 06:58PM
Wolfpack, I understand there is a reason to take a beta blocker prior to using the PIP, however do you take a smaller maintenance dose without a beta blocker and does that work well for you?
January 31, 2017 11:05PM
Tom,

I take nothing now post-ablation. My experience pre-ablation, which was mercifully short, was that betas made things worse. I took only propafenone (regurlarly, not PIP). It did a "middling" job of holding NSR.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login