Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Eliquis causing Nausea????

Posted by smackman 
Eliquis causing Nausea????
November 24, 2016 03:59PM
I have been having issues with Nausea for approx. 6 weeks. It comes in "waves". I went to a gasterologist who put me on Prevacid 30 mg 2X a day to see if it is stomach acid issues or stomach Liner irritation which he says Prevacid would heal. He thinks it could be caused from taking a baby aspirin for so many years.
I also know that Prevacid can deplete magnesium. I have been taking Eliquis since April 2016 and go for a TEE Dec. 8 in Austin.

My Daddy also takes Eliquis and he gets Nausea.

I am grasping for straws here. Could it be the Eliquis since it is my latest Drug and also my Daddy has Nausea issues on Eliquis. It is HARD to deal with this Nausea and I hate meds like Prevacid etc.

ANY help here would be appreciated.

5 mg Valium a day as needed.
20 mg Prozac daily
15 mg Prevacid a day
60 cc shot of Testosterone Cypionate every 10 days. Testosterone is low due to schedule two narcotics.
.5 mg Arimidex 2x a week to keep Estrogen levels in check. T shots can cause rise in Estrogen.

100 mg Metoprolol ER 1x a day
25 mg HydroDiuril fluid pill 1x a day every 2 days.
Neurontin 900mg a day (for Neuropathic pain IC/CPPS)
800 mg of Magnesium daily . Different types
81 mg aspirin 1X a day. Heart Doctor order due to stent installed in Jan. 2012.
2.5 mg Eliquis 2X a day

Miralax 1x a day for constipation issues. I have tried so many different methods for Constipation since 2008. Fiber is in my diet but to much Fiber really Constipates me.

25 mg/hcr Fentanyl.patch changed every 2 days

1st ablation done Feb. 27, 2014 for Long term persistent AFIB Dr. Natale
2nd Ablation done June 16,2016 Dr. Natale LAA isolated
Re: Eliquis causing Nausea????
November 24, 2016 06:04PM
smackman,

I switched to Eliquis about a month ago after nearly two years on Xeralto and I haven't noticed nausea. I take about 900 mg/day of magnesium but nothing else on your list. I've had three ablations starting in 2012, all by Dr. Natale. Pretty much everything in the left and right atrium including the LAA has been ablated. I tire easier than I would like but no nausea. I have stress and anxiety issues and practice deep breathing, guided meditation (available free on-line) and exercise to keep it under control.
November 24, 2016 06:20PM
My nausea started the first of October. I starting in eliquis in April. I could have a ulcer or irritated stomach liner per my gasterologist I saw Friday. I had a upper GI ran and it cam back with no issues.

He thinks it could be caused from taking a daily baby aspirin for the last 4 almost 5 years. This is why he started me on Prevacid 30 mg 2X a day for 3-4 weeks to see if it clears up. I also had blood work done 2 weeks ago and all was good.

This nausea stinks and I hate meds like Prevacid,prilosec etc. They are known to deplete magnesium out of your body especially over a extended use so I will be using the Magnesium supplemements and the MagneGel faithfully.
November 25, 2016 12:51AM
I seriously doubt the Eliquis is causing your nausea after over 6 months from starting last April and starting to experience
some nausea only recently after so long in which is was fine with no symptoms. That is not the usual course for nausea caused by most medicines that have nausea as an association ... usually the nausea starts fairly early in the course of use or when ramping up dosage but tends to more or less subside some, if is going to at all, as your body adapts some too it over time.

It could be from a verity of things smackman.. I think you will find very few listings of Eliquis as associated with nausea, especially after a long period of taking it with no such nausea.

The baby aspirin is likely a much more probable culprit and do you still need to take that ... and why? Has your coronary artery stent not endothelialized yet?

In any event, hope you get past these GI symptoms soon and feel much better!

Take care
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2016 10:07PM by Shannon.
November 25, 2016 10:00AM
Hi Smackman.... This weblink to People's Pharmacy has a post from January, 2015 that discusses side effects of Eliquis and does mention nausea... so perhaps the aspirin is double-trouble for you...unfortunately.
[www.peoplespharmacy.com]

Jackie
November 25, 2016 12:20PM
Hum..... I took Eliquis for months without any nausea. From what I read, Eliquis nausea generally happens from the beginning of taking it. It was 5 months into taking Eliquis I started having Nausea so I don't know.

My Gastroenterologist thinks it could be the baby aspirin I have been taking for almost 5 years daily because I have a coronary stent. Neither my Cardiologist nor Dr. Natale has ever mentioned me coming off this daily baby aspirin.

The Gastroenterologist put me on 30MG of Prevacid 2X a day bases on what I told him and my symptoms. He feels Prevacid is the best choice to combat this. He want me to try this dosage for 3 weeks to see if it will heal the possible stomach irritation; That is what he thinks it is. I do not show any bleeding signs in my stool etc. Enough of that.......

I do not like taking any proton pump inhibitors. They are known to deplete magnesium so I am making sure I am taking good Magnesium.

Anyway, The Nausea is not 24/7 but it comes in waves. It is hard to deal with.
November 25, 2016 01:37PM
Smackman... I would be more suspicious of the aspirin... as it is well known to cause stomach problems.

I'd think it would be reasonable to just stop the aspirin and see if you get relief rather than add yet another chemical to the mix. As Shannon pointed out, surely your stent has endotheliized by now. PPIs can bring on a whole other set of problems.

Over the years, we've had many posts on the problems with PPIs and acid blockers...
check out this search link:
[www.afibbers.org]

However, on the "side effects of Eliquis" topic... I've complained from almost the onset of using Eliquis and about weird happenings that I didn't have before using it. Certainly, it's far better than warfarin for efficacy and convenience, but I am very sure it is causing me multiple related symptoms. Catch 22.

I hope you pass the TEE evaluation so you have one less drug to worry about.

Best to you,

Jackie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2016 01:42PM by Jackie.
November 25, 2016 02:48PM
It would be hard for me to just stop taking my Aspirin without my Heart Doctors saying it is okay. I understand what you are saying but I have trouble just stopping a medication like the aspirin without a Doctors approval. It scares me to play Doctor.
I do not want to be on Prevacid but this is what is recommended for 3 weeks to hopefully "heal" my issue.
I will call my Heart Doctosr Monday to see what they say.

How do you know if stent has endotheliized by now? I do not even know what that means.
Dr. Natale wanted me to stay on 325 mg of aspirin after my 1st ablation. I did for 6 months then went back to 81 mg. This was in 2014.

I do not know what to do............

I know individuals who have been on PPI's and acid blockers for years without issue and they have to have them for quality of life. One is my brother. Nothing controls his Gerd except a PPI; He has dealt with it over 20 years. No AFIB Episodes ever.
It is hard........................ I could read all this information and allow my Anxiety to blow the roof off. We are notall the same right? Hopefully, My issue will pass and I will get off this PPI.

AND I agree about the Eliquis. To many "unknowns".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2016 04:18PM by smackman.
November 25, 2016 07:02PM
Let me ask this question; How long does a person generally take a baby aspirin after a stent is placed in coronary arteries/vessels? Most Reputable Internet sites says baby aspirin indefinitely.

I would love to stop the baby aspirin TONIGHT as long as it is safe and someone please show and teach me so I will have confidence before I stop it
Thank you. It was installed Jan 11,2012

Also my stent is a Medtronic Integrity RX stent
2.75 mm x 12 mm also has CIRC written on the card
Ref INT27512UX
LOT 0005719819

There is also a hour glass on the card that has a date of June 14,2013

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2016 07:15PM by smackman.
November 26, 2016 10:00AM
smackman,

Maybe get a simple blood test (CBC plus metabolic panel) done by your primary care physician. Oral anti coagulation plus a history of gastritis is worrisome. If you had a little ulcer somewhere then the Eliquis could make that bleed. A quick check of the red blood cell count and hematocrit could be useful. I know from experience with my own esophageal ulcer a few years back that anemia manifests itself in weird ways. I used to get tired and have violent anger outbursts - all because of a little pinhole in my feeding tube! Crazy.
November 26, 2016 10:52AM
I had a blood test ran 2 weeks ago by my primary physician and everything was good. I am not pooping blood etc. I just want to know if I need to continue this baby aspirin based on the post above.

I also had a upper GI ran. I drank that nasty chalky stuff etc. All was good. This is when my GP made me a appointment with the gasterologist who put me on Prevacid 30 mg 2x a day for 3 weeks based on what I told him what was going on. If this does not work, then he will scope me but he feels it is a irritated stomach liner from taking a baby aspirin almost 5 years daily.
I do not have acid reflux; just some stomach pain at times and periodic nausea meaning it comes and goes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2016 11:07AM by smackman.
November 26, 2016 12:15PM
Smackman - I certainly understand your concern and questions... and I hope I haven't added to your frustration. My intent was for you to ask the appropriate questions of your doctors... esp. Dr. Natale now that you are going for the TEE soon. Hopefully, you'll pass and be free of Eliquis. One less drug is always great.

Endothelialized ... the bare metal stent is eventually covered over by natural (endothelial) tissue which is the inner-most lining of blood vessels.

My questions and concern would be: If Eliquis adequately prevents adverse clotting in the LAA, then why is additional aspirin needed? ...especially after so long since the stent has been placed. Explain fully and also please address the risk factors well known with long term use of aspirin...even at the lower doses and ask what's currently known about long term use combining Eliquis and aspirin. Since Eliquis is relatively new... probably not a lot of reports on long-term safety... yet.

On the topic of stomach issues... gastritis or whatever label given.... it's important to understand the basics of stomach acid production. All too often, PPIs and H2 blockers are prescribed because of GERD and similar symptoms, but the reality of it is there is not too much production of stomach acid, but not enough. That means food isn't broken down properly in the stomach and then just lies there and putrifies in the stomach....can't move on easily or well and various gastric complications (bloating, pain, nausea, GERD) occur as a result. Again, the fundamental basics of digestion aren't assessed.

Inadequate, natural stomach acid production, can come from various deficiencies in vitamins such as B12 (methylcobalamin) and zinc which are required in order to produce adequate natural stomach acid. That's just one step in the digestive process.

There are previously posted reports on this topic... here are the links.... (and many posts in the forum on these topics)

No More Heartburn [www.afibbers.org]

Digestive Wellness – What You Need to Know [www.afibbers.org]

The Gut Connection to Afib – A Review of Digestion, GERD, Food Sensitivities, and Gut/Adrenal issues.. many Influences for AF
[www.afibbers.org]

Long ago, I had some digestive issues that were the result of low B12, zinc and other nutrients determined by testing.
I first started my own research by learning about Alkalinity and pH... which you probably know because I'm always mentioning the importance of maintaining an alkaline pH and the Alkalinity report at this link and the segment about
The Importance of Stomach Acid... Alkalinity, Healing, pH and Voltage - The Inside Story
[www.afibbers.net]

More from the Townsend Letter:

Refined carbohydrates and soda pop may cause GERD by inducing insulin resistance, which delays gastric emptying. The extreme example is gastroparesis, which may prevent the stomach from emptying for up to 8 to 10 hours. A full stomach is much more likely to reflux its partially digested contents into the lower esophagus. This gastric fullness mechanism applies to eating within 3 hours of bedtime as well. During sleep, gravity does not support the acid esophageal clearance and salivary secretion is decreased, leading to less lower esophageal neutralization of gastric acid. In addition, there are fewer esophageal contractions. A left lateral sleep position is more protective than sleeping on the right side (Dantas 2002).

February 2011

Proton Pump Inhibitors – A Risky Experiment?
by Steven Sandberg-Lewis, ND, DHANP
Professor, Naturopathic Medicine, National College of Natural Medicine
[www.townsendletter.com]

I'll stop there. Please let us know what you learn because this topic is important for all afibbers present and former.

Best to you,
Jackie
November 27, 2016 08:28PM
Jackie,

Do you have a recommendation on a Zinc supplement (with male gender in mind)? Much appreciated!
November 27, 2016 10:36PM
Smackman,

You should NOT stop taking any blood thinner without approval from your prescribing physician. And certainly not from anything you hear here. We are sharing good choices to for you to work out with your doctor.

Aspirin is used for its platelet aggregation which can happen when metallic element are within the venous or arterial blood flow. But once endothelialized there should not be any more risk of excess platelet aggregation.

Eliquis and other NOACs work on a very different blood thinning principle.

Shannon
November 28, 2016 12:07PM
Called my local Cardiologist who installed stent in Jan 2012. He does not want me to stop taking the aspirin. I talked to his nurse and they gave the reason Shannon stated above about aspirin and some other information as to why it is recommended to stay on a baby aspirin after a stent installation.
May 16, 2018 04:51AM
I would love to buy walking shoes from orthofeet, but without trying them on, it's not worth trying. I love my slippers, this is my second pair. I have heel spurs and pain, also trouble with arches, it's hard to find shoes that fix all that. But orthofeet orthotic shoes, especially Vionic, do the trick. I will buy again. Picking my items was very easy/accessible. I liked the rollover scan to get close up of my merchandise. I found sizes to be true and very comfortable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login