Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Learning curve - closure of LAA.

Posted by Chuck Connors 
Learning curve - closure of LAA.
October 28, 2016 08:15PM
It appears that I may be going down the path of having a procedure to close the LAA in the next 12 to 18 months and in the meantime will be learning as much as possible. It's my understanding that there are new developments as well as technological advances coming out in this area over next 12 months. Can someone point me in the direction of where I may be able to find information on these new developments? Thank you.
Re: Learning curve - closure of LAA.
October 31, 2016 05:26PM
I would also like to know about this procedure which I have heard thru the "grape vine" Medicare will not approve. Looking forward to info. being posted and what Dr. Natale feels about this.
November 04, 2016 09:56PM
When I spoke to DR. Natale around the first of the year, he said he wanted me to wait for the new watchman device. It appears the new Watchman device has some problems.

Also his nurse said that insurance was not approving the procedure for people like me who can take anticoagulants.

My LAA measured slow on the TEE test. Im 52, afib free for over 2 years. Only medication I take is Eliquis.
Looks like at least for now, most of us on anticoagulants because of a slow LAA are stuck with the pills.
November 05, 2016 12:49PM
Hi Chuck - you are wise to become conversant with the various options for LAA occlusion or closure. Shannon is the expert in this area having had a leak from the Lariat ligation and then going for the Amplatzer cardiac plug. If you use the search feature here for the the words Lariat and Amplatzer, I believe he posted details.

While I haven't tried to find studies or comments by EPs stating the historical results of those methods as well as the Watchman device indicate... such as after 5 years in place, no complications.... my paranoia on having anything implanted in my body stems from what happens, long term, such as 10 or 20 years later. Obviously, that's not available. I also worry about bio-compatibility with materials used in implantable devices and the risk of reactions or hypersensitivities.... as as found in hip replacement materials... although certainly there is more material exposure in hip than heart. I'd want to know the material used in any device... again - my paranoia.

I believe I recall that Shannon said the Amplatzer plug becomes engulfed with tissue so it's embedded permanently which was more reassuring to me regarding the risk of potential migration that has been my concern.

I'm not sure about details on whether insurance or Medicare would cover any of these as I am not actively pursuing the potential but if for some reason I become intolerant to the anticoagulants and if it could be done safely at my age, I'd consider it eventually. Here's a link published by Blue Cross that describes the various options for occluding the LAA... there are probably others as well. [www.bcidaho.com]

I'm sure there are many cardiology reports that go into more detail with current findings.

Looking forward to your posts on what you learn.

Best to you,
Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login