Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First episode of afib during catheter ablation

Posted by Mary 
Mary
First episode of afib during catheter ablation
November 05, 2003 09:15AM
I recently underwent Radio Frequency Catheter Ablation for AV node reentry tachycardia and a site of origin of atrial extrasystoles and atrial tachycardia. During the ventricular pacing that they do after ablation there was a spontaneous onset of afib. Procainamide was give intravenously and the afib was terminated. To my knowledge I have never had afib. Does this episode mean that I will have more afib attacks or could this be a common occurence during ablation and mapping procedures. After my ablation I got violently ill from the Morphine I was given for severe neck pain(not related to the ablation, another problem) so was unable to talk with my ep doc after the procedure and he did not mention the afib attack at all. The only reason I found out is because a report was sent to my family doctor and I obtained a copy. Any input would be appreciated.
Mary: You didn't have an AV node ablation did you? or did they ablate the reentry pathway? You don't have a pacemaker, do you? They burst pace the ventricles to attempt to induce ventricular tachycardia, just looking for any V Tach potential. It sounds like they failed in inducing v tach, but I would think that it must have triggered the afib and may not necessarily mean that you have an afib potential. It is encouraging that your doctor seemed unconcerned about it (hopefully). I guess time will tell. Keep us posted, and good luck, Mary

Pam
I do not have a pacemaker and did not have the AV node ablated. I was ablated for an extra pathway and two other very active spots. According to EP doc "I got them all." No mention of afib. Thanks for the postive input. Yesterday I was looking for other similar posts and found one almost identical to my situation except that he went into afib twice during the ablation procedure and they had to use paddles to convert. This post was on the Cleveland Heart Center Forum and was addressed to the Cardio there. He said that it was pretty unlikely that another afib attack would occur. I feel very encouraged as I had been pretty down. I have lived with this since I was 15 and am now a grandmother. (a young one) I have had to have my gallbladder removed 2 months ago and now am looking at having cervical spine surgery, so I need more positive things happening. Oh well, don't mean to sound like I am feeling sorry for myself. I certainly know from experience over my lifetime that there are people far worse off then myself. Have you ever had an ablation? What are your experiences with heart arrythmias? I would be interested in hearing from you if you would like to do that. Thanks again for responding!
Mary: Think of your grandchildren as your positive thing. I wish I had them. I am 51 and have a 33 y/o son and a 29 y/o daughter, who are waiting for everything to be just right in their lives to have children. Ideally, that's great planning, but is there ever a time when things are just right? Oh well, perhaps one day. Things weren't "just right" for me, and I wouldn't trade my children for the world!!
On the bright side, maybe you won't be plagued with arrhythmias anymore. My story: Those of you who've heard it please escape!!
I started passing out when I was 13. I chased it around all my life, and no one would take me seriously. In 1998 I was finally diagnosed with SSS and got a pacemaker. I then was 46 years old. The doctor who put it in inadvertantly perforated my right ventricle with the ventricular electrode, causing it to capture my chest wall whenever the V lead came on. If felt horrible and I had to put up with that until finally in 2001, the pacer rep just turned off the V lead, and just paced from the atrium. I had had short burst of arrhythmias also all my life, which went undiagnosed until 1996, when I began having rapid, uncontrolled afib episodes lasting 8 to 18 hours and then began the nightmare of trying out all the antiarrhythmic drugs, none of which worked. In late 2001, I was referred for a PVA and took six months more of afib to give in. I had a PVA in March of 2002 and during the procedure the loop, mapping catheter slipped into my left ventricle and became engangled in my mitral valve root. The doctors pulled hard and the wire sliced through my mitral valve and papillary muscle, destroying the valve. I was then taken to emergency open heart surgery for a mitral valve replacement with a titaneum valve. Post op, I was taken off life support too soon and went into congestive heart failure and had to be reintubated and put back on a ventillator. My right lung collapsed and I had to have chest tubes put in. I went into a coma, which I remained in for 2 weeks. During the coma, I had no blink reflex and the nurses never taped my eyes shut and I developed exposure keratopathy (ulcerated corneas) from staring at the light in the ceiling 24/7 for 2 weeks. My right ulner nerve was damaged and remains weak and numb in the outer half of my right hand. While in the coma, I had a stroke, which affects my cognitive thinking and short term memory. Oh, did I tell you that already? Ha During my surgery, the doctors took out the pacemaker telling me that it was installed wrong. They kept telling my family they would replace it at such a time when I became more stable. They never replaced it. Now, in early October, I had another fainting spell and they tell me I need another pacemaker. I just can't do it. Now I am permenantly on SSD. I have been an RN, with 20 years working in CCUs and had two businesses at the time of my PVA. Now I am on SSD and have lost both businesses. I will never again be able to practice nursing. I cringe when people take PVA lightly. Then I have to step back and realize that I was in the vast minority. Statistically this has happened to 3 people in the world. I really believe that this has happened much more often than is reported. I, in fact know of one unreported case that happened in N Carolina. That woman is in a long term care facility and has been in a coma for 2 years.

You're right Mary, there are always worse cases, and there are worse cases than mine. So continue to be positive, and .....

Be well,

Pam
Pam...your story is something else. You must be a strong person both physically and mentally to have withstood all that you have gone through. As an RN in your lifetime I know you were one that probably made all the difference in a patients hospital experience. Bless you and I hope your children give you grandchildren to pass on your wisdom !
Pam,
Wow, what an ordeal you endured. I am so sorry I ever felt sorry for myself and so thankful that all is going well and so sorry to hear what happened to you. Bad doctors?? I sincerely all goes much, much better for you in the future. Thank you so much for posting. You have been an inspiration to me!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login