Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PVI in Marin

Posted by Fred 
Fred
PVI in Marin
November 05, 2003 05:22AM
I have watched this site over the last few months and have gained a lot of information from many of you who have chosen to try PVI ablations. For that, I want to thank everyone who has added to my knowledge. I don't usually do more than watch a site, but since I have gained much from reading the postings on this site, I feel like I should try to contribute something that might be helpful to others.

I have had LAF (always self- terminating within 2 -12 hours, but really awful during the episodes) for several years and developed flutters and related problems that resulted in 3 right atrial ablations in 12 months. Still, the LAF persisted and was becoming more frequent, I concluded in July, based upon discussions with my EP, plus this site, another site, and much independent research, that for me a PVI ablation was a better choice than continuing to try medications, all of which had failed. The Pappone study, even with its flaws, was, for me, very sobering. I also concluded that the best choice among the U.S. doctors for the procedure would be Dr. Natale. Fortunately, it is a 45 minute drive from my home to Marin General Hospital, where he practices 2-4 days per month (It appears he was there at least 4 days in October). I met Dr. Natale and his long time assistant, Salwah Beheiry, in July. They were very friendly, and spent as much time as I needed to get comfortable with the procedure--about an hour and fifteen minutes (thanks to this site and my research, I pretty much knew what I wanted to ask).

They told me that my procedure would be set up for December, which seemed a long way off. In August, however, I was told that I had been scheduled for November 13 or 14, and sure enough I am scheduled to be the first patient on November 14. Time has flown.

I have not seen much reported on this site about Marin General, but so far my interactions have all been good. I have been working with the EP Lab nurse, Jan, as we have struggled to figure out how much coumadin I need to get to INR 2.0-3.0 (It looks like 15-16 mg per day! Apparently, there are unpredictable genetic issues involved in achieving the right balance). At all times, she has been patient, helpful and reassuring--really, a very warm person whom I look forward to meeting in person. She told me that she will be my "bar tender," serving up the "cocktails" as needed. Tomorrow, I go for a CT scan of my heart, which I have been told will not only measure my pulmonary veins but also help Dr. Natale to locate the veins during the procedure.

My regular EP is going to try to attend the procedure so that he can share his knowledge of my prior ablations with Dr. Natale, be there to support me and learn from it. He went to Stanford with me for a flutter ablation when he thought they could help me. My EP is a first class guy all the way, who knows what he can do well and when to call in assistance. Most important, he really cares about his patients.

When the PVI procedure is over and I am back on my feet, I will try to give some details as to how things went. Since I have had 3 ablations before, I am not particularly apprehensive about this one, but I was apprehesive the first time because I did not know what to expect. I am aware of several people who will be having ablations there in the next few months, and perhaps my contribution will help them.

Thank you, Hans, for allowing me to post this message.
Newman
Re: PVI in Marin
November 05, 2003 12:36PM
Fred,

I wish you the best of luck, and I look forward to your report.

Newman
JRBabb
November 05, 2003 01:27PM
Keep us posted on your progress, always a joy to finally hear of success.

jrbabb
Pam
November 05, 2003 11:30PM
Good luck Fred. My thoughts and prayers go with you. I'm more than impressed with your EP; whish I could find one like that. I didn't think they existed.

Be well, Fred,
Pam
November 06, 2003 09:32AM
Fred - thanks for sharing your history and new plans. Dr. Natale is warming up for you with my PVI on November 12. I'll try not to wear him out smiling smiley

Please let us know when you are back to your normal routine how everything went....

Blessings to you. Jackie
Fred
November 06, 2003 09:45AM
Good luck to you, too, Jackie. I hope yours is quick and easy.

Fred
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login