Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fibrinogen/Cholesterol

Posted by Richard 
Richard
Fibrinogen/Cholesterol
November 04, 2003 05:26PM
Has anyone had their fibrinogen levels checked? I had a comprehensive cardiovascular profile done through Great Smokies and the results are as follows:

Fibrinogen Ref Range 180.0-350.0mg/dl Result 364 High
hs-CRP Ref Range <=1.69mg/L Result 1.23 Normal
Homocysteine Ref Range 3.00-10.00 umol/L Result 4.58 Normal

Cholesterol Total Ref Rge <=200.0mg/dl Result 243 High
Total HDL Ref Rge >=40.0mg/dl Result 43
Total LDL Ref Rge <=130.0mg/dl Result 175 High
Triglycerides Total Ref Rge <=150.0mg/dl Result 84
Total VLDL Ref Rge <=30.0mg/dl Result 15
Non HDL (LDL+VLDL) Ref Rge <=160.0mg/dl Result 191 High
Total Chol/HDL Ratio Ref Rge <=4.8 Result 5.4 High

I'm a bit concerned of the fibrinogen levels. That can indicate endothelial damage occurring or a predicter of a heart attack.

I also have the creases on both earlobes. I think Jackie mentioned this a while back.

EARLOBE CREASES

Around 1973, the association between diagonal earlobe creases and the threat of an eventual heart attack was made. Chronic circulatory problems allow the vascular bed in the earlobe to collapse and the telltale earlobe crease to appear. More than 30 studies have been recorded in the medical literature, with the largest study, to date, involving 1,000 randomly selected patients. Diagonal earlobe creases, appearing at a 45-degree downward angle toward the shoulder, appear a better predictor of sudden death from a heart attack than age, smoking, obesity, elevated cholesterol levels, or a sedentary lifestyle.

It appears that individuals with an earlobe crease have a 55% greater risk of dying from heart disease than those without the marking, with the risk becoming even more prognostic if diagonal creases appear on both ears. The predictive value, of the diagonal earlobe crease, does not apply to Orientals, Native Americans, or children with Beckwith's syndrome, a heredity disorder associated with neonatal hypoglycemia and hyperinsulinism.

While earlobe creases do not prove heart disease, the Mayo Clinic announced that out of 121 patients, the earlobe crease plus symptoms of heart attack (i.e., chest pain) meant a heart attack about 90% of the time. Similar symptoms but without the earlobe crease terminated in a non-coronary diagnosis 90% of the time.
[www.lef.org]

Anyway, does anyone have any comments or remedies for ironing ear lobes or lowering fibrinogen?

Thank you,
Richard
Jerry
Re: Fibrinogen/Cholesterol
November 05, 2003 02:15AM
Richard:

Glad to see you're still getting after your overall health.

As for the cholesterol situation, I would recommend that you a) stay away from statin drugs, and b) consider purchasing some policosanol or gugulipid and begin a regimen that will attack the overages. You'll find a long list of references about the safety of both substances, which have been used for a long time without any side effects or liver damage--unlike statins.

As for fibrinogen, you must already know that it is a significant clotting factor, and elevated fibrinogen--especially in the presence of elevated lipids--is a strong independent risk factor for cardiac events.

There are substances that reduce fibrinogen levels, and you can find research about them on lef.org, lammd.com, and drsinatra.com, among others. I hope you're not a smoker, since that is a powerful fibrinogen elevator. You can do a lot to promote your health and protect yourself from a dangerous future event by attacking your cholesterol and fibrinogen.

Expect, however, that there will be some posters who will race to their keyboards to suggest that your Total Cholesterol is not that high. Please bear in mind, however, that it is often the ratios between lipid factors that suggest risk for someone such as yourself.

Your LDL is quite high, while your HDL (offsetting positive lipid) is quite low. You might strive to get enough exercise to increase your HDL to over 50, at a minimum, while taking one of the substances I listed above to attack your LDL. By doing that, you could well decrease your Total/HDL ratio significantly below 5, which would be a good thing.

Your homocysteine is quite good, which is a positive aspect of your profile. I would ask, though, whether you know your ferritin (stored iron) level. Iron is very dangerous in cardiac events, especially in men, since we don't dispose of ingested amounts and it accumulates. In strokes and heart attacks, clearing the clot away leads to reperfusion injuries that damage vital tissues such as heart and brain vessels when the free stored iron flows with the enriched blood. I would also suggest that you learn your Lp(a) level. Between the two, Lp(a) can be considered even more dangerous, if elevated. Dr. Sinatra goes into great detail about that potential killer, and Vitamin C in doses well above 1000 mg can assist in lowering elevated Lp(a). That substance, by the way, is a genetic marker, but it is a marker over which we can exert some control. If one has elevated Lp(a), it is largely because of a propensity within our genes, rather than a lifestyle issue. The good news is that we can intervene to reduce it.

Keep searching, and get those numbers down in a safe way. Don't have to take my word for the benefits and safety of policosanol or gugulipid. Search the web, and the data will be there.

All the best...Jerry
Marshal
November 05, 2003 02:24AM
I'm not sure if I subscribe to the earlobe notion. At what age do they began to appear???

blessings,
MLM
Richard
November 05, 2003 03:56AM
Thank you very much, Jerry. I have heard of gugulipids and will purchase some, along with doing further reading. I'm not a smoker, and never have been, yet my wife does, but only outside or by the fan over the stove. I would not touch statins with a 10 foot pole, either.

Some other markers on the above test that I did not list were as follows:

HDL2 (most protective) ref rge >=10.0mg/dl result 9.0 low
HDL3 (less protective) ref rge >=30.0mg/dl result 34.0

LDL Fractions
LDL ref rge <=100.0mg/dl result 152.0 High
IDL ref rge <=20.0mg/dl result 17.0
Lp(a) ref rge <=10.0mg/dl result 6.0

LDL Density Result Large, Bouyant LDL which is good.

Triglyeride-rich Fractions

VLDL 1,2 (bouyant) Ref rge <=20.0mg/dl result 7.0
VLDL 3 (dense,remnant) ref rge <=10.0mg/dl result 9.0

So it would seem that my lipoproteins are within ref range, and actually my relative risk for cardiovascular disease shows low, there is a slight elevation for fibrinogen risk. I exercise, but not very frequently. I had purchased a whole gym of used Nautilus equip. and already had a treadmill. As soon as it was put in place and I started using it, is when I was diagnosed with flutter. It has been a struggle ever since to get back into it, so I'm glad you brought it up. You gave me incentive to use it again, esp. the treadmill.

Thank you, Jerry, for your help. It's good to hear from you. I miss your postings and hope all is going well for you.

Richard
November 05, 2003 10:49AM
Richard - Congratulations that your homocysteine is so low which goes along with the low triglyceride levels. Great.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the cholesterol numbers. Much data out there in the alternative circles indicating cholesterol is not the bad guy... the other markers are much more critical.

Comparing your numbers and what my functional MD says....

The CRP should be .5 or lower - with as close to zero as possible...indicating little or no inflammation. Here is that inflammation thing coming up again - the chiecken or egg question I recently posed, did a/f cause the inflammation? or do we have a/f because of the inflammation? Just keep pushing those Omega 3's and all the other natural anti-inflammatories.

On the fibrinogen issue - From my Red Flags article -
FIBRINOGEN
Is an independent risk factor and can indicate individual increased risk for heart disease in the absence of other indicators. While necessary for clotting when injured, a higher-than-normal level creates clumping blood.

It is influenced by genetic predisposition and high levels are enhanced by smoking and estrogen compounds as in birth control pills. Studies show a correlation between high fibrinogen concentrations and coronary artery calcification and conclude these to be markers for pre-clinical atherosclerosis- with stronger trends in women participants including younger women.

Ranges
Less than 300 mg/dL is considered favorable
More than 360 mg/dl is unfavorable.

Those with a family history of heart disease or coronary atherosclerosis must have fibrinogen levels checked.

Natural blood thinners – garlic, ginger, fish oil, Vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, bromelain – See Hans Book for details.

On the earlobe issue - I've had creases for about 25 years. It has always worried me because years ago the holistic docs used that is an indicator for circulatory problems leading to heart disease. I'm still here, but that doesn't mean I'm home free. I still monitor all the markers - plus the Lp(a) Jerry mentioned.

With all the awareness you have and the good things you are doing as prevention, all you can do is continue to have your healthy lifestyle and continue to be monitored.

If my inflammation theory is on target - decreasing that to the low numbers may be the key to eliminating afib.

Keep up the good work. It's a big job. I appreciate your dedication.

Be well, Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login