Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

pulmonary stenosis

Posted by njb 
njb
pulmonary stenosis
November 04, 2003 02:47PM
What are the symptoms of pulmonary stenosis? I had an ablation over 3 months ago and am concerned about getting it.

thank-you,

njb
jerry
Re: pulmonary stenosis
November 04, 2003 05:44PM
Pulmonary stenosis from ablations generally only cause symptoms if the stenosis (narrowing of the vein) is more than 80% and also depending on which ( and how many)of the pulmonary vein(s) the stenosis is in-Stenosis less than 80% will not cause symptoms in most cases-Symptoms would be shortness of breath (especially on exertion) and lack of stamina-The TEE test is the most reliable test done that can determine the amount of the stenosis but it involves putting a tube down your throat-jerry
Allie
November 05, 2003 01:21AM
they do an ultra-fast Cat Scan at the CC to determine if any stenosis is present. Try not to worry, you've already opened the barn door! Pray and have faith that you made the right choice and everything will be fine.
November 05, 2003 01:38AM
Dr. Natale told me that many people with stenosis are not aware of it at all. He said some people with as much as 75% stenosis function very well.

He said it would be shortness of breath.....ie, lack of blood getting to the lungs in the volume needed for the gas exchange...especially with exertion.

The CCF checks stenosis by a spiral CAT scan.

I would think that if you are functioning well after 3 months, it is a very good sign and stenosis is not a factor.

Think positive thoughts. Be well. Jackie
Lisa
November 05, 2003 08:11AM
I had my PVI last April. It has been great to be off all medication. I had mine at University of Alabama Birmingham Hospital. They don't ask you to have the scan 3 months later unless you are having problems. They told me that a chronic cough is often an indicator. I walk every day - 2 miles but find I can hardly climb one flight of stairs without feeling light headed. Lately I give out of breath easily and my chest feels like a burning sort of sensation in the lungs like I've been running. This is peak allergy season for me (Alabama's golden rods) so I don't know if that's what is affecting my breathing. I hate to go back because I have been totally medication free since August. First time in 20 years or more I haven't been on some type of medication. After my ablation, all follow up has been done with my regular EP rather than Dr. Kay who actually performed the PVI. Dr. Kay is great! He has had very few cases of Stenosis. Do you think I'm jumping ahead or should I ask my EP for the spiral scan?

Lisa
Kerry
November 05, 2003 08:12AM
How did you wind up getting an ablation without knowing the anwers
to these questions before you had it done?

Didn't your doctor advise you of the risks?????

If not, let everyone on this board know his name so they avoid him.
That doesn't mean he didn't do a great job and it sounds like you are fine
as I believe stenosis would show up symptomatically after three months,
but he / she should have informed you of the small but not insignificant risk of stenosis.
Kerry
November 05, 2003 08:12AM
How did you wind up getting an ablation without knowing the anwers
to these questions before you had it done?

Didn't your doctor advise you of the risks?????

If not, let everyone on this board know his name so they avoid him.
That doesn't mean he didn't do a great job and it sounds like you are fine
as I believe stenosis would show up symptomatically after three months,
but he / she should have informed you of the small but not insignificant risk of stenosis.
Jim W.
November 05, 2003 10:19AM
Hi Lisa,

If your allergies have not acted this way in the past, I would go for the scan.
Lisa
November 06, 2003 08:10AM
Thanks Jim. She would be happy to do the scan and at least I would know for sure. My resting heart rate is looming between 90 and 112 or so anyway so I know I need to contact her. Think I'll do it before I have to pay new deductibles. ha.

Lisa
njb
November 06, 2003 11:06AM
Everyone - thanks for your input. njb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login