Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

EKGs and key indicators for deficiency of minerals

Posted by J. Pisano 
J. Pisano
EKGs and key indicators for deficiency of minerals
November 03, 2003 09:30AM
Hello all,
Sorry for the short hiatus, I have been researching quite a bit of materials and would like to post some of my findings.

I have been able to read ekgs for some time now, but just recently have come across some lesser known findings of interpretations regarding mineral deficiency and excess that show up in the cardiogram.

Hypomagnesemia will manifest itself in the ekg. As magnesium levels drob below 1.5mEq/L the ecg will show a slightly widened QRS complex and aprolonged QT interval, sometimes this will show a ST-Segment depression. Cells will become more excitable and ectopy will likely be present.

Hypermagnesemia will manifest itself as a widened QRS complex and a TALL T Wave.

Hyperkalemia (potassium) will manifest itself at 5.5 mEq/L and will show tall, tented Taves and at worse levels will start to show sine waves. Soon the P wave will disapper with severe hyperkalemia.

Hypokalemia (serum levels below 3.5 mEq/L) will show a "U" wave just after the T Wave. Ectopic implusies will develop.

Hypercalcemia, ECG tests may reveal a shortened QT interval and shortened ST segment.

Hypocalcemia will manifest itself as a lengthened QT interval and prolonged ST segment.

I have just acquired my last ECG's from the doctor and am in the process of re-examining them.

FYI.

Joe
Re: EKGs and key indicators for deficiency of minerals
November 03, 2003 11:51AM
This is excellent information.... did your doctor tell you this or did you find it elsewhere.

I'd be very impressed with a physician who could look at an EKG and tell the patient they were magnesium deficient...or whatever mineral was abnormal.

That's a tremendous step in the right direction...but I've never been told that and now I'm really curious as to your answer.

Good reporting. Thanks.

Jackie
J. Pisano
November 03, 2003 01:35PM
Jackie,
Interesting enough all RNs and MDs are supposed to get this training in their classes on Fluids and Electrolytes.....Somehow they just don't seem to cover this in the classes.

I am a researcher by profession (albeit technology and music) and tired of the standard AMA rhetoric. I have been reading various manuals and college textbooks on this subject. This is most clearly layed out in the book published by SPRINGHOUSE, Fluids and Electrolytes. ISBS 1-58255-136-7. and falls in the nursing category.

I am not completely disillusioned by the medical profession, just disapointed in with their dependance and directives being led by the pharmacutical companies. I certainly don't doubt their intentions and some of the wonderful steps they have made in many areas.

I also have had extensive training in EKG interpretation, (Never covered this though) in my EMT classes and discussions with Paramedics and PHRNs, which I have access to because of my involvement with a regional EMS company.

I could only wish that all patients would take an interest in their health as much as the many friends I have found on this board have. Perhaps then, the medical profession would stop this cookie cutter approach to medicine.

Joe
It's tough to interpret EKG's as the same characturistic can arise from different conditions. If not well trained, many mistakes can arise. (
"Don't attempt this at home" :>) ) Having said that, there are many sites on the Web that attempt to teach.

Example of a simple one that is in line with the present discussion:

" Hypokalemia causes low voltage T waves and prominent U waves. ...
[www.meddean.luc.edu];

I've asked about my prominent T waves but they are deamed "meaningless" without other EKG markers or other data to suggest any abnormality. And these "smart" new 12 lead machines that print out a diagnosis, misinterpret a lot, especially when in AFib.

Anton
November 04, 2003 12:50AM
Joe - thanks for the information. Certainly, your background and expertise places you in a great position to evaluate this.

Nutrition and like areas regarding electrolyte balance is probably covered in those 2-week classes in med school- It's my observation of MD's that unless they make a concerted effort to do outside resourcing regarding the nutritional needs of the body, they remain deficient in knowledge.
Probably the most considered electrolyte is potassium, they all seem to understand a K deficiency.

My own functional medicine MD, initially began her career studying to be a nutritionist. It was so sub-standard in what she expected and required insofar as indepth knowledge, she applied for medical school and graduated. After a few years in practice where she says she was very good at dispensing drugs for every symptom and then more drugs for the symptoms caused by the first drug....she broke away from mainstream medicine and has been swimming against the current ever sense.

Physicians receive much of their continuing education from drug companies, so naturally, they will push drugs...what else do they know. Getting to the eitology of the condition rarely comes into play. Time and money are the parameters guiding diagnostics.

I agree that the health-intelligence on this BB is far beyond what the average patient knows. My issue is that most people don't really care to know or want to take responsibility for their health. They just continue to abuse their body and expect that a pill (drug) will fix it. There are no quick fixes to good health - or afib for that matter.

I also feel that if the medical community would actually take an interest in finding the source of afib, we would all be able to get rid of it, and without drugs. However, since people aren't dropping over dead in droves, it has a low priority, especially since most likely the "cure" would be correcting nutritional imbalances.... no big bucks in that.

Joe, thanks for you input. Your contributions are sound and valuable and are important to this BB. I always look forward to reading what you have to say.

It would be interesting if each of us, when we've had an EKG, to ask to have the waves explained in relationship to electrolyte levels. We'd probably all get a comment like - that isn't revelant here.

Be well, Jackie
Peggy Merrill
November 04, 2003 05:41AM
Looks to me as though the only medical people who are interested in finding a real cure for afib are those who themselves suffer from afib. It is our good luck that a fair number of these worthies are gathered here. Braincramp on, people!
Peggy
Just wondering -- would the deficiencies showing up in EKGs be serum deficiencies only? If so, then the absence of a sign of mineral deficiency on an EKG will not rule out a deficiency in intracellular levels of minerals.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login