Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Betapace

Posted by Fred 
Fred
Betapace
November 02, 2003 11:33PM
I called Michelle in Dr. Natale's office and gave her my background. When I gave her my hx. ("lone A-Fib since Ju 2003 with no other health problems) and my med list she explained that I wouln't qualify as a ablation candidate until I had tried the anti-arrythm. medicines. Recommended was Betapace. Can someone give me their experience with this med? She said it would stop my A-fib for about 1-2 years and then there would be a refracturing (I understood her to mean that the Betapace will eventually become uneffective). I wonder if this method of qualifying is insurance protocol? Try everything and then we'll pay for ablation?
Re: Betapace
November 03, 2003 12:23AM
Fred - I was prescribed Betapace with my first nasty afib event that was so severe I went to the ER. I was on it for two years. It did not control my arrhythmia very well. Even with it, I had one or two events/month which escalated until I changed to a different cardiologist who placed me on Toprol only..which didn't work any better than the Betapace.

I am not totally sure, but I think the Clinic (at least) wants the patient to try drugs for a while and if they either don't work, or are totally unacceptable to the patient because of side effects...such as fatigue... then I believe the patient can opt for an ablation. As least that's the way it worked for my neighbor who was only on drugs for about a year and she hated them...went for the ablation. My CCF cardiologist always told me that if and when I either became drug intolerant or just wanted off the drugs, I could schedule an ablation...so that would lead me to believe it is not clinic policy...but I'm not absolutely positive.

It very well could be insurance protocol. Certainly sounds more cost effective, but you could check it out by calling your insurance carrier.

Sorry - this isn't much help, but it is my experience. Jackie
will
November 04, 2003 11:02AM
I've used the generic, sotalol, for about 26 months with no AF episodes. I have MVP w/regurgitation and mild atrial enlargement. Hiked and climbed in the desert for several weeks this fall. May have mild drug side-effects, but nothing severe.

-will
Kathy
November 06, 2003 12:06PM
Fred,

I just met with Michelle and Dr. Natale yesterday at the Cleveland Clinic. The recommendation of drug therapy does depend on age range. I had a pv ablation in August (not at CCF). Since the ablation, I've been dealing with other arrythmias including flutter, PACs, and sinus tachycardia. My EP has recommended either a multi year drug therapy plan or another ablation. I went to Cleveland Clinic for a 2nd opinion and after meeting with them, will have further treatment there. Though drug therapy can be very helpful, both Michelle and Dr. Natale told me that for people who have no heart disease and are in my age range (I'm 46), we tend not to tolerate drugs well (beta blockers are too fatiguing) and meds are not helpful long term because their effectiveness diminishes over time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login