Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exatest

Posted by mwcf 
Exatest
March 23, 2013 08:01AM
Just wondering....

I had an Exatest in 2010 and wonder about having it done again to provide an obviously more up to date picture. Thing is, what I aren't so sure about is whether or not the test resuts can actually vary a lot day-to-day as it were? For all I know, I could have the test twice a week apart and get totally different results - based perhaps on what I'd eaten etc.

Has anyone here had the test several times and, if so, were the results fairly consistent over time? I seem to recall that PC had the test several times and his IC Mg was always low despite his best endeavours to supplement orally.

At the end of the day I suppose I'm looking for some assurances that the test achieves consistent results and doesn't vary too much based on short term factors such as daily/weekly differences in diet etc. For all I know taking a MgCl bath the night before the test could greatly skew the result, as could eating a packet of tums throughout the week before the test.

Any input from those who've had, or no someone who's had multiple Exatests would be really interesitng and helpful in assisting me making my mind up whether or not to spend another few hundred quid having the test done again! I suppose if money were no object I'd get the test done once, then have 10 weeks of IM Mg injections, and then get the test done again. Nay and all views on the efficacy/reliability of the Exatest would be most appreciated: I do sometimes wonder just how reliable/accurate (theoretically reliably repeatable) the one Exatest I had really was..... was my IC Ca really that high? Was my IC Mg really that low?! Would I achieve a similar reslt today?? Only one way to find out really....

Thanks,

Mike
Re: Exatest
March 24, 2013 11:47AM
Mike - check back into some of Shannon's posts on this topic. He's used Exatest extensively and has talked personally with Exatest's owner/founder Burton Silver, when Shannon was doing the heroics to try to maintain his IC magnesium prior to his recent ablation. The reliability of the Exatest is supported by the fact that it is used for the astronauts in space travel and I'd imagine no amount of money was spared in coming up with a quick,highly-reliable assessment to keep them safe and healthy. For the rest of us, though, the cost factor is definitely a significant consideration but if I had an ongoing problem, I'd be hocking something to pay for it if need be.

It's important to get into the other factor I mentioned on the nutritional influence on gene expression ( the field of Epigenetics) though, because that's the must valuable and current science out there right now that is making significant impacts on all forms of chronic illnesses... and there is suporting literature backing it up plus amazing personal testimonials from physicians using it themselves with exceptional results. This is leaving mainstream medicine in the dust... and it's a refreshing, safe change from drugs.

Jackie
March 26, 2013 12:31PM
Hi Mike,

In my experience the Exatest is the most reliable and useful measure of IC ions. SErum Potassium is a good marker for adjusting your potassium intake, as is the even more handy Cardymeter, but for Magnesium you cant beat the Exatest for more accurately reflecting your IC Mag status.

Some people have argued that it wasn't helpful for them because they had been taking oral magnesium for a while and still got a low to borderline low Exatest IC mag reading. In my experience, this precisely highlights the value of the test in that it is often very hard to raise IC Magnesium with oral Magnesium alone. Or at least it can take a long time to do so when you were fairly depleted at the outset.

Many Afibbers are, almost by definition, Magnesium wasters and any one on one or more of certain classes of prescription and even some OTC drugs definitely have suppressed magnesium and can need large doses over a long period of time to significantly raise the IC levels.

The Exatest is a great tool to guide when you may need to add IV Myers cocktails with a large dose of Mag Sulfate included as part of a periodic schedule (for me once every two to three weeks at this point) in addition to oral chelated Mag and perhaps with topical Magnesium 'oil' which I use every morning as well.

Even doing 3 grams of IV mag every week and 1.5grams of IM Mag 4 days a week, plus 750mg of Jigsaw Magnesium and Topical Mag sprays or foot soaks, it took me almost four months to get my Exatest Mag to around 36 or so which is still on the low side of average.

In any event, I've found it very useful and for Magnesium in particular, invaluable as a guideline for treatment adjustments too.

Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 05:46PM by Shannon.
March 26, 2013 01:49PM
I agree with you, Shannon, about the value of the Exatest.... and not just for magnesium. While the serum potassium and the CardyMeter K are quick evaluations for snapshots in time for serum status, that does truly not reflect what's inside the cell where it functions....and of course the other electrolytes so knowing the whole electrolyte picture is a most valuable assist. The results also provide the ratios which are the most telling. I just wish the test were more widely available and more commonly recognized as extremely useful.

Jackie
March 29, 2013 01:25PM
Just to say thanks guys and gals - much appreciated.

Think I'll organise another Exatest shortly.

Cheers,

Mike F
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login