Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Atropine Sulphate for VMAFrs??

Posted by Mike F. V42 
Mike F. V42
Atropine Sulphate for VMAFrs??
November 02, 2003 04:04AM
Has anyone here ever heard of atropine sulphate being used as an anticholinergic agent to reduce parasympathetic dominance?? Surely lowering vagal tone would help VMAFrs.

Mike F.
Pam
Re: Atropine Sulphate for VMAFrs??
November 02, 2003 05:35AM
Mike: An interesting thought. I've never heard of it's being tried. It's used alot in emergency code situations for bradycardia, is sometimes used pre-op to dry oral secretions, and it also in some eye drops for ? amblioplia?
Pam
Carol
November 02, 2003 06:17AM
When I asked my cardiologist about drugs to lower the tone of the vagus nerve/parasympathetic nervous system, he said that it was out of the guestion , because they had very severe side effects, affecting all the body functions -digestion, breathing, etc.

I don't know where atropine sulphate fits into the scheme.

Carol
Mike F. V42
November 02, 2003 06:51AM
LOADS of info on AS can be read at:

[www.nursingexperts.com]

A brief word on the parasymathetic nervous system (PNS). The cholinergic PNS is stimulated (by the hypothalamus) by way of acetycholines, The cholinergic PNS slows HR, increases salivation, relaxes sphincters (GERD?), and stimulates urination. Antihistamines have an ANTIcholinergic effect and as such would therefore appear on-the-face-of-it to be good for VMAFrs (and conversely bad for AMAFrs). The popular GERD med cimetidine is an antihistamine and, given its anticholinergic properties, might well suit VMAFrs with GERD. Having had BAD trapped wind problems and heartburn this last few weeks, I'm accordingly gonna give cimetidine a try.

Mike F.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login