Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is a good alternative to Flecainide?

Posted by Windstar 
Windstar
What is a good alternative to Flecainide?
April 22, 2012 09:31PM
Flecainide is not preventing afib breakthroughs in my case, and I am having numerous side effects from it--jitteriness, tremors, headaches, neck pain, some blurriness. So my cardiologist says he could try a different medication.

What is a good alternative to Flecainide? I know none of them are free of side effects, but I'd like to hear what your experiences have been with other medications.

Thanks much.
Windstar (Nancy)
Re: What is a good alternative to Flecainide?
April 23, 2012 12:50AM
Nancy,

I've been using Rythmol. Not many here seem to be using it compared to Flec.

I haven't had any side effects from it except altered taste. This only happened while drinking water. However the short-acting version didn't seem to last the whole 12 hours. Some take it 3x day which seems to be the way to go on the short version. I would recommend Rythmol SR, and since it comes in a generic version, it won't cost a bazillion $ like it used to. I don't have the altered taste problem with it at all. It isn't a beta blocker, but has beta-blocker properties. I'm not sure what that really means, as no one has ever come up with an explanation as to the subtle difference.

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
Anonymous User
Re: What is a good alternative to Flecainide?
April 23, 2012 02:10AM
Multaq is another frequently prescribed. I tried both that and Rythmol and did not tolerate either of them. unfortunately. Apart from those three I think the only other drug in that class is amiodarone, which seems like a last resort drug to me (after reading the insert online). I do well on flecainide but use it PIP only, as I have kidney problems.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login