Cont. Re: Symptons and episodes

Posted by Fran 
Fran
Cont. Re: Symptons and episodes
October 04, 2003 11:44PM
"Author: kestra (---.nwaft.com)
Date: 10-04-03 21:07

Fran,
Is there a list of foods with free glutamate in them? Is all free glutamate MSG or vice versa? I've been to the "nomsg" website and printed out the list there of commercial canned and packaged foods, which I never eat anymore. What about other foods? What is the source of free glutamate in cheese? Lactose? Casein?

Richard, I eat salads and tons of vegetables all the time. What I don't eat is grains, and I'm getting constipated a lot. I was putting some raw rolled oats on my fruit/coconut milk in the morning, and that helped regularize me but that's when my stool starting turning yellow and I think I react to something in the oats, maybe the gluten. I need some kind of fiber that I won't react to? Has anyone had success with psillium husk?

I'm also wondering if anyone has tried parasite cleanses, a la Hulda Clark. Even conventional doctors know that bacteria from gum disease can go into the heart and cause problems. It's why they want you to take antibiotics before they do a peridontal cleaning that might cause a lot of bleeding. I had this problem for years and wouldn't doubt if there were parasites in my heart even still."

Kestra

Most foods contain glutamate. Milk is a particulary high source of it. But in fresh raw milk it is bound - eg the glutamate has not been freed from its enzyme chain. To free the glutamate high heat (UHT treatment, fermentation - eg making cheese, hydrolisis etc) will break down the enzymes and free the monosodium glutamate or single salt glutamate molecule. The longer the cheese is matured the more free glutamate will be available.

Lactose is the milk sugar and is a different problem to casein which is a protein. I am also casein intolerant. I am not sure if there is a connection between casein and free glutamate - but they are both proteins. Either way I avoid it for both these reasons.

OTher ways of inadvertantly making MSG or free glutamate is from long time stewing, casseroling and making soups. I have never been able to reintroduce home made soup, no matter how careful I have been in the making. It comes down to the hydrolosis caused by the water. I can however, have the odd stew, curry or casserole, so long as I use tender cuts of meat, add NO WATER, cook on low heat and get all the moisture from my veggies and fat for no more than about half an hour to 40 minutes. Tomatoes and mushrooms are a high free glutamate food so these are a no no in long cooking processes. I quite often add them in the last five - ten minutes of cooking for extra flavour, but not so the tomato disintegrates. You will not get the very rich flavour associated with stews and casseroles this way, so you have to add your own - eg garlic, chilli, spices, green herbs, mustard etc. But the rich flavours are what have been caused by glutamate breakdown. This is how I avoid it.

Have you tried chewing flax seed (linseed in UK) for extra fibre. These should be safe if it is lectins and antinutrients in grains you are reacting too. Also add some fruit if you can tolerate, this will loosen you up a bit.

Hope that helps a bit.

Fran
William
Re: Cont. Re: Symptons and episodes
October 05, 2003 12:15AM
" What I don't eat is grains, and I'm getting constipated a lot. I was putting some raw rolled oats on my fruit/coconut milk in the morning, and that helped regularize me but that's when my stool starting turning yellow and I think I react to something in the oats, maybe the gluten. I need some kind of fiber that I won't react to?"

A Plate of Steamed Cabbage works for me.
Squeeze a quarter lemon over thin sliced cabbage, steam for 15 min.
Eat with butter and salt to taste, and more lemon juice to taste.

William
Richard
October 05, 2003 03:21AM
Kestra,

Constipation can sometimes indicate a lack of magnesium. You could also try pumpkin seeds, as every 1oz has 229mg. or you could try supplemental Mg. glycinate.

Richard
Fran
October 05, 2003 08:50AM
Casein does have free glutamate and will give a reaction. That is why I avoid sodium caseinate, calcium caseinate etc. Don't know where my brain was there but as I don't read labels anymore (don't buy packaged food) am beginning to forget.

Fran
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login