Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Should I have the Flu Vaccine this Year?

Posted by stranger 
Should I have the Flu Vaccine this Year?
August 23, 2020 07:07AM
I had never had the flu but accepted the vaccine twice when i reached 60. I stopped having it when I was 62 and haven't had it - or the flu - in the 12 years since,

My Dad only had the vaccine once and that was the only year he ever had the flu!

My Mother never had the flu or the vaccine throughout her 94 years.

The reason I thought I'd ask members for their thoughts is that there is going be a lot more pressure to accept this year.

Sam
Re: Should I have the Flu Vaccine this Year?
August 29, 2020 03:49PM
Hi Sam,

Sorry I didn’t read your post until I had submitted mine. I should have included it under yours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2020 03:51PM by PC, MD.
August 31, 2020 06:33AM
No problem; just keeps the great posts coming!

Sam
September 15, 2020 06:22AM
I cant seem to find the link, but I have heard that the flu shot for seniors, 65 +, is virtually a wash, 50/50. I stand to be corrected, but one clue is now the "bundling" of 2-4 strains called the "Senior shot". Ill pass and take my chances with supplementing and good living.
September 18, 2020 09:17AM
Looks like pretty good odds for the high does for us over 65 y/o:

"How effective is the flu vaccine in the elderly?
In numerous studies since 2010, flu vaccines have helped protect adults 65 years of age and older against influenza A(H1N1) viruses and both lineages of influenza B viruses. Specifically, flu vaccines have reduced the risk of medically attended illness caused by H1N1 or B by more than 60% on average among people age65 and older (1). Flu vaccines also have reduced the risk of flu hospitalization among adults age 65 and older by 54% against A(H1N1) viruses and by 31% against influenza B viruses on average (2).

However, protection against influenza A(H3N2) flu viruses has been less consistent. On average, flu vaccines have reduced the risk of doctor visits with A(H3N2) flu by 24% and reduced the risk of hospitalization with A(H3N2) flu by 33% in adults age 65 and older (1,2). During seasons when the H3N2 vaccine component has been like (well-matched to) the flu viruses circulating in the community, the benefit from flu vaccination has been higher. During these seasons, flu vaccine reduced the risk of hospitalizations with A(H3N2) flu by 43% on average (2). But when the vaccine component was less similar to viruses in the community, the protection has dropped to 14% (2)."

The complete article from the CDC: [www.cdc.gov]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login