Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Paleopathology and the Origins of the Low-carb Diet

Posted by Todd 
Paleopathology and the Origins of the Low-carb Diet
June 23, 2020 07:54PM
We are not breatharians. We are not fruitarians. We are not vegans. We are not vegetarians. We are not lacto-ovo vegetarian. We arent carnivores. We are super carnivores.
Early into the video he talks about smaller stomach equals bigger brain, thanks to being meat eaters.
[www.youtube.com]
Re: Paleopathology and the Origins of the Low-carb Diet
June 24, 2020 02:32PM
Kind of runs contra to everything in the mainstream medical world and media. And surely it is dependant to at least some degree on blood group? Meat suiting O types much better than others??
Joe
June 24, 2020 09:08PM
Hmmm, listened to that talk. Don't know what to think, too much conflicting info from all sides.
My take is, eat to keep your blood sugar from spiking and as close to 82 as practical (Dr Bernstein) as long as inflammation markers are kept very low, no calcification of arteries, very good assimilation and elimination (microbiom) then we can expect minimal health problems????
Anything i missed????
Carnivore or vegan/vegetarian might both be good depending on genetics? but what might be most important how the food source is grown???
This is the mechanistic part of health - what about the psychological/spiritual ????winking smiley
June 26, 2020 04:14PM
Joe
eat to keep your blood sugar from spiking and as close to 82 as practical
What does 82 mean?
Joe
June 26, 2020 09:09PM
Sorry, my fault. mg/dl blood glucose. I thing Dr Bernstein says that 83, my mistake again.
June 27, 2020 03:52AM
Thanks, that's quite low.
This from mayo clinic

A blood sugar level less than 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L) is normal. A reading of more than 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) after two hours indicates diabetes. A reading between 140 and 199 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L and 11.0 mmol/L) indicates prediabetes.Aug 8, 2018
June 27, 2020 11:56AM
Joe is right. Keep that fasting BG around 85 and watch out for spikes above 130. Healthy low carb eating will keep you under 110 even right after meals.

I know for a fact (backed by research) that my heart issues have the predominate root cause high intake of sugar, fructose, refined carbs, omega 6 oils and hyperglycemic and hyperinsulinemic spikes.

Changing my diet to paleo/sapien has changed a 50% annual CAC progression rate to ~ an 18% annual regression rate.

It's possible that in 7-8 years I can unwind most of the damage I caused.
Joe
June 27, 2020 07:58PM
colindo
Thanks, that's quite low.
This from mayo clinic

A blood sugar level less than 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L) is normal. A reading of more than 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) after two hours indicates diabetes. A reading between 140 and 199 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L and 11.0 mmol/L) indicates prediabetes.Aug 8, 2018

86 yo Dr Bernstein MD, a type one diabetic since age 11, still practicing strongly disagrees with Mayo, and explains why, in many of his monthly ca. 1 hour talks.
June 27, 2020 09:23PM
Joe
86 yo Dr Bernstein MD, a type one diabetic since age 11, still practicing strongly disagrees with Mayo, and explains why, in many of his monthly ca. 1 hour talks.

I'm a fan of Dr. Bernstein. As a non-diabetic who bought my first glucometer in 2006, just to understand what my blood sugar was doing (had an A1C of 5.2% then), I thought looking at glucose from a diabetic's eyes would be a good thing to help me understand. Bernstein's and his work were part of what I studied. He tells the story of how he came up with 83 mg/dL as a good number. The meter manufacturers would hire young healthy people to come around and meet with docs about the meters. As Bernstein already sampled his own glucose many times a day, as a T1, he would ask the sales reps to sample their own glucose. Invariably it was 83. So Bernstein figured that was a good number.

One of my friends, a LADA T1.5 (late adult onset) traveled to see him and spent a day or so there. Said he is extremely brilliant and also very dogmatic.
June 28, 2020 02:47PM
I would say that 83 mg/dL is a VERY good number but not what is normal today.
I was looking at a forum where by people would compare daily their fasting blood sugar levels and they were about 100 to 120.
Very few were below 100.
Joe
June 28, 2020 10:24PM
colindo, this is disturbing. It might be normal by the definition when the majority has the same problem?
July 06, 2020 08:10AM
My last one was 93 - I'll take that thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login