Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

COVID FEAR

Posted by PC, MD 
Re: COVID FEAR
June 15, 2020 10:25PM
PC, MD
But wearing when one alone in the car or while walking outside in a gentle breeze

My understanding of the data for the benefit of wearing a non-medical mask is it helps protect those around you, if you happen to be someone who is asymptomatically sick and shedding virus through droplets (if you are sick and symptomatic, you should be at home). It really doesn't do a lot to protect you. My understanding is if north of 40% of people wear masks in, especially indoor, situations where they are around others, there starts to be benefits to the group. This benefit will increase until you reach about 80% of people wearing masks.

One of the worst situations would be going to church choir practice. A confined space for a long time with quite a few people that are singing - therefore putting more droplets in the air. This could be contrasted with going to a grocery store, where you spend little time around any one person.

I've also listened to analyses suggesting there may be a material portion of the population with some kind of preexisting immunity. In my state, CO, the deaths are about 1/7th of what they were at the peak and positive PCR test results are now running at about 2%. This is happening even though the state is "opening up" quite a bit. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
June 15, 2020 11:33PM
So it seems my 1x/day supplementation of 2000 IU is pretty much the low end! I do take 400mg C and 800mg Mg bisglycinate daily, so hopefully that helps. Also K2-MK7 and B12.
June 17, 2020 10:24PM
For many years I toured the local high schools and intermediate schools spreading the gospel of a healthy lifestyle - no smoking, plenty of exercise, and good nutrition. This I did even though it threatened my livelihood as a pathologist (ha ha). I had several buckets of human hearts, lungs, brains,.. that functioned as props and really got their attention. At that time smoking was the number one cause of death, at least in the first world. It has since been displaced by obesity.
I decided to take the COVID bull by the horns graphically to underscore its insignificance and to shift your attention to health matters of greater concern.

[www.antiagemedical.com]

[mdedge-files-live.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com]

[mdedge-files-live.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com]

First of all, if you combine hypertension, a vascular disease, with cardiovascular disease, CVD becomes the top comorbidity. Actually it's probably no. 2, as the age comorbidity is not listed. Not sure where the "toxic male" comorbidity fits in, but ...
Secondly notice that the above graph does not mention the obesity comorbidity. This is probably due to the fact that obesity is closely linked to the other comorbidities. Furthermore classifying obesity (BMI > 30) as a comorbidity is politically incorrect, although perhaps not as bad as calling a person who menstruates a woman.
But plenty in the overweight category (25-30 BMI) have no other comorbidities.
[theredelephants.com]

Compare the above graph with that repeated below.
[www.grassrootshealth.net]

Obesity and Vitamin D deficiency are not only linked by ethnicity, but by the COVID. The increased skin pigmentation in blacks and Hispanics compromises production of the active form of vitamin D.
[vitamindwiki.com]
To further discourage your interest I decided to overload you with more graphs.
[paulkbuller.files.wordpress.com]

[www.prestonoralsurgery.com]

If you’re overweight, take charge.
[d.ibtimes.co.uk]

[image.slidesharecdn.com]

Don't be afraid of the COVID. Use it to incentivize yourself.
June 18, 2020 02:30AM
I inadvertently posted the racial breakdown for vitamin D for US women (no offense intended) instead of for US adults in general.

[www.grassrootshealth.net]
June 18, 2020 06:13AM
GeorgeN

I've also listened to analyses suggesting there may be a material portion of the population with some kind of preexisting immunity.

That would probably include me as I barely noticed anything with Covid 19 - just a slightly sore throat, a bit of mild conjunctivitis, slight nausea - just like I was coming down with something but in the end didn't.

As such, I'm guessing that for me an antibody test would come up showing I didn't have it as I had some kind of immunity already and/or wasn't ill enough to actually produce enough antibodies to show up on an antibody test?

PS I definitely had it - even though not tested for it at the time - as my partner (a surgeon - who caught it off her anaesthatist - an obese chap who really was very ill with it but came through OK) had it for 10 days and I lived with (and slept with) her throughout her illness so there's no way I wasn't highly exposed to what is undoubtedly a VERY contagious virus.
June 18, 2020 01:56PM
More on BAME (Black, Asian, and minority ethnic) groups, COVID & vitamin D. If you are in the BAME group, or have friends who are, please pass this on!.

One of the articles mentioned in the link:

There has been another result from the Far East, this time from Singapore. In this study patients on admission to hospital with Covid-19 were randomly allocated to standard treatment or standard treatment plus treatment with a combination of Vitamin D, Magnesium, and Vitamin B12. Those on just the standard treatment had a significant disadvantage as judged by deterioration and need for oxygen therapy.

Separately, I look at the root cause of many of the comorbidities as hyperinsulinemia. May be undiagnosed in the severe COVID cases who don't have comorbidities. DiNicolantonio and others describe Joseph Krafts work in this review article. [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
June 18, 2020 08:38PM
mwcf - gotta beware the fat anesthesiologist

Check out the section entitled Vitamin D, obesity and type II diabetes (obesity leads to Vitamin D deficiency but not the reverse).
This speaks to George's post.
[vitamindwiki.com]

Overview Obesity and Vitamin D
[vitamindwiki.com]

[www.upsbatterycenter.com]

From Mexico

[mexicobariatriccenter.com]
I would venture to say that most if not all of the 49 individuals with normal BMI had one or more of - elderly, Vit D deficiency, diabetes, hypertension

From UK

[i.dailymail.co.uk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login