Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hydroxychloroquine

Posted by Elizabeth 
hydroxychloroquine
March 27, 2020 05:33PM
The gov. of the state that I live in has said that doctors cannot prescribe Hydroxychloroquine/zpak, if they do they will lose their license. Is that legal that a Gov. can dictate what a doctor can prescribe--that drug is legal, just hasn't been used for this virus, but it is being used by doctors in the U.S. Another progressive, they are terrible.
Re: hydroxychloroquine
March 27, 2020 10:16PM
According to this article, it appears it is because of shortages of those meds. They want to limit use for the most seriously ill (and in the case of hydroxychloroquine, for people with other illnesses like lupus, that need it).
March 28, 2020 07:19AM
Yes, and we should be very cautious when seeking this med in areas where there is a shortage. If we deplete it, the issue will become a serious shortage of hospital beds because if that person with Lupus cannot fill their script, they will most likely be taking up a bed. In my area it is plentiful and the COVID burden is very small.
March 28, 2020 03:54PM
I don't buy the theory that the drug is in short supply, they have it in New York, France and we can't have it in Michigan? Then do you job Gov. get it. This virus is a killer, Lupus isn't at least not as swiftly.

For Gov. Whitmer to deny Michigan residents access to one of the only treatments that has shown promise in helping patients with coronavirus is unfair. She’s playing with people’s lives. To treat these patients and their physicians as criminals is unconscionable.

One of her constituents, a Michigan man who became gravely ill after contracting COVID-19 and credits his life to the combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, would like a word with Gov. Whitmer. Jim Santilli shares the story of his illness and his recovery on Facebook.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2020 03:57PM by Elizabeth.
March 29, 2020 04:37PM
The Gov. of Florida was able to get Hydroxychoroquine, because he isn't just sitting on his butt. We just have a lousy gov. and Atty. General.

I see the Governor of Florida just made a large purchase of the drug from Israel to hand out to Florida Hospitals.
March 29, 2020 10:15PM
A study of 80 patients from France using this combo: link. Pretty amazing.
March 29, 2020 10:42PM
George:

If you got the virus (heaven forbid), what would you go for, the drug Hydroxychloroquine, or IVs of vit. C? Maybe both, but which first?

L
March 30, 2020 09:21AM
Elizabeth
George:

If you got the virus (heaven forbid), what would you go for, the drug Hydroxychloroquine, or IVs of vit. C? Maybe both, but which first?

L

Liz, first I think almost everyone is going to get this sooner or later. A number of people I know think they have had or are having this. They've all had relatively mild cases (none can get tested). The ones who are metabolically healthy, take D3, C, A & etc seem to have the mildest cases. I already do all this. If I got a case, I'd up my D3 (already at 10,000 iu's/day) to what Gundry prescribes for us - 3x50,000 iu's/day for three days (i.e. 150,000 iu's/day for 3 days). I'd also increase my C from my current 2-3g/day. I should note that my high D3 intake does not impact my afib, no I don't worry about that - may not be applicable to all. A friend from Aus who also follows a Gundry lifestyle experimented with higher and lower carb (he's generally ketoish) and fasting during his infection. From his n=1, adding carbs made things worse, fasting made things worse and the sweet spot was low carb/keto. Note that for afibbers who aren't keto adapted, the electrolyte shifts associated with keto adaptation could cause an episode. I've been adapted for over 10 years, so not an issue for me.

If I got worse, and if I could find someone to do Dr. Brownstein's protocol of IV C, I'd do that next.

If I could not do that or if it got worse, I'd go with PC's protocol, I have losartan on hand as well as a Z-pack. I would like to avoid the Z-Pack, if possible as it would not be good for my gut biome.

If it got more serious, I'd try the Hydroxychloroquine/Z-Pack. However, not sure if the Hydroxychloroquine would be available. I already tried to fill a script for it, unsuccessfully.

Be well,

George

{edit} I think the Hydroxychloroquine/Z-Pack is potentially a game changer for treating this illness. I would prefer Dr. B's approach be done on a large scale, but that is unlikely to happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 09:32AM by GeorgeN.
March 30, 2020 04:27PM
George:

In Florida my daughter said that they have vitamin infusion bars, you can go in and they will do an infusion of vitamin C or whatever vitamin you would want. I have never looked in my area but I am sure the availability is here as well as near you or they are done by Holistic doctors.

Thank you for your response, sounds good to me, I hope you aren't correct in your assessment that we all will get the virus.

L
March 30, 2020 05:29PM
Elizabeth
George:

In Florida my daughter said that they have vitamin infusion bars, you can go in and they will do an infusion of vitamin C or whatever vitamin you would want. I have never looked in my area but I am sure the availability is here as well as near you or they are done by Holistic doctors.

I looked and you are correct, there are bars here. However, they are covered by our "stay at home order," so not open right now. Probably have to go to a holistic doc to get it done.
March 31, 2020 07:42AM
For the sake of time and effectiveness, I would opt for the med over the vitamins. Supplements are great for building over time to assist our diet and lifestyle, but for conversion to NSR or treating a serious illness, time is of the essence for me.
April 01, 2020 10:28PM
George N's post is exactly spot on !!! and is what I was doing until I ruled D as a possible AF trigger.

On top of what George wrote (what I was doing for last year almost to the letter) as well as other things, I believe the quercetin and zinc should be effective at stopping or inhibiting C19.

Great post George!

PS - everyone here knows that HCQ and quercetin are both zinc ionophores?
April 02, 2020 03:09PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib

Apparently Dr. Vladimir Zelenko does as his protocol includes zinc sulfate.

From <[www.globalresearch.ca]

My name is Dr. Zev Zelenko and I practice medicine in Monroe, NY. For the last 16 years, I have cared for approximately 75% of the adult population of Kiryas Joel, which is a very close knit community of approximately 35,000 people in which the infection spread rapidly and unchecked prior to the imposition of social distancing.

As of today my team has tested approximately 200 people from this community for Covid-19, and 65% of the results have been positive. If extrapolated to the entire community, that means more than 20,000 people are infected at the present time. Of this group, I estimate that there are 1500 patients who are in the high-risk category (i.e. >60, immunocompromised, comorbidities, etc).

Given the urgency of the situation, I developed the following treatment protocol in the pre-hospital setting and have seen only positive results:

1. Any patient with shortness of breath regardless of age is treated.

2. Any patient in the high-risk category even with just mild symptoms is treated.

3. Young, healthy and low risk patients even with symptoms are not treated (unless their circumstances change and they fall into category 1 or 2).

My out-patient treatment regimen is as follows:

1. Hydroxychloroquine 200mg twice a day for 5 days

2. Azithromycin 500mg once a day for 5 days

3. Zinc sulfate 220mg once a day for 5 days

The rationale for my treatment plan is as follows. I combined the data available from China and South Korea with the recent study published from France (sites available on request). We know that hydroxychloroquine helps Zinc enter the cell. We know that Zinc slows viral replication within the cell. Regarding the use of azithromycin, I postulate it prevents secondary bacterial infections. These three drugs are well known and usually well tolerated, hence the risk to the patient is low.

Since last Thursday, my team has treated approximately 350 patients in Kiryas Joel and another 150 patients in other areas of New York with the above regimen.

Of this group and the information provided to me by affiliated medical teams, we have had ZERO deaths, ZERO hospitalizations, and ZERO intubations. In addition, I have not heard of any negative side effects other than approximately 10% of patients with temporary nausea and diarrhea.

In sum, my urgent recommendation is to initiate treatment in the outpatient setting as soon as possible in accordance with the above. Based on my direct experience, it prevents acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), prevents the need for hospitalization and saves lives.
April 02, 2020 03:37PM
George:

Did you say that your son had been taking Hydroxychloroquine for a while? Is it possible that by taking that drug he is immune to this virus? Don't know just could be possible.

L
April 02, 2020 04:18PM
Elizabeth
Did you say that your son had been taking Hydroxychloroquine for a while? Is it possible that by taking that drug he is immune to this virus? Don't know just could be possible.

Yes, that is correct, about 20 months. Who knows if it could help. His glioblastoma cancer treatment has left his immune system compromised, so I certainly don't want to test the theory. I've not seen him in two weeks as I don't want to be a potential virus vector to him.

Interestingly, he's not had many viral illnesses since being on the chloroquine, given how low his white blood cell count is.
April 03, 2020 12:08PM
FYI

Mar 26, 2020
Mayo Clinic Provides Guidance on the Risk of QTc Prolongation From Off-Label COVID-19 Treatments

[ntk-institute.org]
April 03, 2020 02:30PM
Jackie:

As you probably know this drug has been around for many years, a lot of these patients that have gotten the virus and given this drug have gotten better. Georges son has been on this drug for almost 2 years, I don't really like drugs but sometimes they are necessary, either taking this drug or dying. You can find all kinds of bad reports on blood thinners, yet we take them, sometimes there isn't much choice.

L
April 03, 2020 09:45PM
Apparently, you can use your single lead Kardia to see QTc.

This shows you what you are looking for.

This shows it on the Kardia/AliveCor.

From Jackie's link, "Using an algorithm developed by Dr. Ackerman and colleagues, the potential risk of drug-induced arrhythmias can be rated and used to modify treatment accordingly. For example, patients with a baseline QTc value ≥500 milliseconds and those that experience an acute QTc reaction with a QTc ≥60 milliseconds from baseline after starting treatment with ≥1QTc-prolonging drugs are at greatest risk for drug-induced arrhythmias. Simple QTc countermeasures can be implemented for patients with a cautionary “red ligh”“ QTc status if the decision is made to proceed with the intended COVID-19 therapies."

The French Paper has a check of the ECG as part of the chloroquine/azithromycin protocol.
April 06, 2020 09:41PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
I believe the quercetin and zinc should be effective at stopping or inhibiting C19.

This LA doc says he's having good success with chloroquine, prescribed with Zn Link
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login