Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z-Pak for COVID-19

Posted by LSulka 
Z-Pak for COVID-19
March 23, 2020 07:32AM
Has anyone here taken Z-Pak for a bacterial infection and had arrhythmias?
I did several years ago and have heard recently that cardiac arrhythmias are possible with long term use.
I didn't take it for very long.

Since an anti-malaria drug and Z-Pak are being considered for possible use, I find myself wondering if there are
other options to the Zithromax in Z-Pak.
Re: Z-Pak for COVID-19
March 23, 2020 08:10AM
Yes, and No.
March 23, 2020 10:20AM
I've taken one without problem. A Z-Pak only lasts 5 days so long-term use isn't an issue. Do you mean you took a Z-Pak several years ago or that you experienced an arrhythmia from it? The danger is that it can prolong QT time, which could potentially lead to torsades de points, not that it causes afib or arrhythmias in general. If you don't have long QT syndrome then I wouldn't worry about it.
March 23, 2020 03:46PM
Yes, it was used for treatment for something I had several years ago. I just remember having irregular beats with it and made a note. I have in my medical records for reference, but wonder since it's short term if I could manage it with upping my beta blocker, if this was necessary.
March 23, 2020 06:45PM
Not knowing what those irregular beats were, it's hard to say. It could have been coincidence and won't happen again. I would just take the meds and see what happens. If you get those irregular beats again, you can try upping the BBs (but watch your BP).
April 13, 2020 09:37AM
Zpak and HCQ make QT prolongation much worse.

HCQ only if Covid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login