Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An Effective Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Posted by johnnyS 
An Effective Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
March 18, 2020 03:45AM
Some of you are worried and I thought I share something from a friend of mine who contributed to this research study and I thought some of you might want to consider it in case you get Coronavirus given the afib. All you really need is a prescription of PLAQUENIL
(hydroxychloroquine) which treats: Lupus, Malaria, and Rheumatoid arthritis.

An Effective Treatment for Coronavirus

Japanese study

French study
Re: An Effective Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
March 18, 2020 03:37PM
Johnny:

Yes, I have been reading about Chloroquine the last few days, it sounds like it works. Will a doctor give you a script for it? it is a generic drug so the big Pharma isn't talking about it. I had wondered if quine would work it has in the past against malaria and probably other diseases, but they pulled quine off the market.

Chloroquine, a widely-used anti-malarial and autoimmune disease drug, has recently been reported as a potential broad-spectrum antiviral drug.8,9 Chloroquine is known to block virus infection by increasing endosomal pH required for virus/cell fusion, as well as interfering with the glycosylation of cellular receptors of SARS-CoV.10Our time-of-addition assay demonstrated that chloroquine functioned at both entry, and at post-entry stages of the 2019-nCoV infection in Vero E6 cells (Fig. 1c, d). Besides its antiviral activity, chloroquine has an immune-modulating activity, which may synergistically enhance its antiviral effect in vivo. Chloroquine is widely distributed in the whole body, including lung, after oral administration. The EC90 value of chloroquine against the 2019-nCoV in Vero E6 cells was 6.90 μM, which can be clinically achievable as demonstrated in the plasma of rheumatoid arthritis patients who received 500 mg administration.11Chloroquine is a cheap and a safe drug that has been used for more than 70 years and, therefore, it is potentially clinically applicable against the 2019-nCoV.
March 18, 2020 04:46PM
Looks like a good bet but tough/very expensive to get hold of any (and for aquarium use rather than human use at that).

Plus UK has banned parallel export and hoarding of chloroquine from 14th March anyway.
March 18, 2020 05:34PM
I just got a word that they put PLAQUENIL on shortage list and can’t be reordered nationwide, this med has been around for 70 years so it’s safe and widely used. Luckily my pharmacy had a 90 supply and I picked it up this morning. There are also some available on the Canadian market but at a hefty price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2020 05:16AM by johnnyS.
March 20, 2020 02:21PM
I got this off Newsmax, it is a warning about Chloroquine:

:

China's recommendation to use chloroquine in treatment was quickly followed by a warning.

Two days after the treatment guideline update, health authorities in Hubei province — China's worst-hit region where the outbreak started and which accounted for majority of its over 80,000 patients — asked hospitals to closely watch for, and immediately report, any adverse side effects of chloroquine phosphate, according to a report in local media outlet The Paper.

The drug is known to have short-term side effects such as nausea, diarrhea and tinnitus while long-term use can irreversibly impair eyesight. It's forbidden for pregnant women as it can cause congenital defects in babies. China Health Commission revised the dosage in a Feb. 29 notice tightening chloroquine use. The drug cannot be given to pregnant women, those with heart disease, terminal liver and renal disease, retina and hearing loss and patients on antibiotics such as azithromycin and steroid.

It can now be given only to patients between 18 to 65 years of age for a seven-day treatment course. Patients weighing over 50 kilograms (110 pounds) can take 500mg twice a day — the usual dose — while those weighing less will be administered the drug just once a day after two days of use, according to the latest guidelines.

A woman in Wuhan proved how lethal chloroquine can be when it's taken beyond the recommended dose. On Feb. 25, Shanghai-based The Paper reported that she took 1.8 grams of the drug she ordered online after suspecting she had the coronavirus. She did not, but the drug caused her to develop malignant cardiac arrhythmic, which can cause sudden death, and she was admitted to the intensive care uni
March 20, 2020 07:46PM
Elizabeth,

I mentioned PLAQUENIL Hydroxychloroquine, a less toxic derivative of chloroquine to use if you can get your hands on it and this is what most hospitals are treating patients with. The drug has been around forever.
March 20, 2020 08:23PM
johnnyS
Elizabeth,

I mentioned PLAQUENIL Hydroxychloroquine, a less toxic derivative of chloroquine to use if you can get your hands on it and this is what most hospitals are treating patients with. The drug has been around forever.

Re: Recent revisions to QTdrugs.org Lists

Dear subscribers to CredibleMeds:

Like you, we at CredibleMeds are adjusting to changes in daily life required by the COVID-19 pandemic and we hope you and your loved ones are safe. Our communication at this time is only meant to keep you informed of recent changes to the QTdrugs list that might be important for your safe use of medicines, especially during these difficult times.

In such a crisis, drastic measures and innovative approaches are needed and can be justified, but one area under investigation requires a special caution. Several of the medicines now being tested for efficacy in the treatment of COVID-19 are on the list of drugs known to have a risk of Torsades de Pointes (TdP) arrhythmia. These include the antimalarials, chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine, that are being combined with azithromycin or with the antivirals, lopinavir/ritonavir. Each of these drugs alone can cause QT prolongation and chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin are on the CredibleMeds’ list of drugs known to cause TdP. Additional information on this topic is on our CredibleMeds home page.

Also, on December 26, 2019, the antipsychotic drug, chlorprothixene (Truxal®) was added to the Known Risk of Torsades de Pointes (TdP) list. The antidepressant, clomipramine (Anafranil®), was moved from the list with Possible Risk of TdP to the Conditional Risk list in the following conditions: hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, overdose and when taken with other drugs that prolong the QT interval.

Today, additional changes were made to QTdrugs. The antipsychotics, Lurasidone (Latuda®) and Lumateperone (Caplyta®) and the anticancer drug, Tazemetostat (Tazverik®) were added to the Possible Risk of TdP category. Cesium chloride, an ingredient in some "dietary supplements" was added to the Known Risk of TdP list. The following three appetite suppressants were added to the Special Risk category and the Drugs to Avoid in CLQTS category: Diethylpropion (Tenuate®), phendimetrazine (Bontril®) and benzphetamine (Didrex®).
March 20, 2020 09:32PM
"long-term use can irreversibly impair eyesight."

When I put my son on it for a completely different reason, two years ago, I researched this. The long term is doses like 500 mg/day for 4 or 5 years. My son has been on it for most of this time at 250 mg/day without issue.

The dosing for treatment of liver infection caused by protozoa:
Adults—1000 milligrams (mg) once a day, taken for 2 days. This is followed by 500 mg once a day for at least 2 to 3 weeks.

So the COVID dose is in the same ballpark. The COVID gram a day for 7 days (7g total) compares to 9 - 12.5 g total for the protozoa treatment.

Not saying you don't need to respect this med, you do. Obviously exceeding 1 g/day is not a good idea.
March 21, 2020 06:25AM
No matter what position you take on this med, it is disappearing fast in Pharmacies. Our ND doctor called several stores before finding 2 scripts for us. Very affordable at $43 for a 2 week supply. Hopefully we wont need to use it.
March 21, 2020 03:40PM
looks like we got kicked off the AF Forum again----this virus is completely different from anything i have experienced, it could affect those of us indirectly with AF. it won't last forever so what would it matter if our posts appear on the AF board or the General health board at this point.

l
April 06, 2020 07:06PM
Clinical trials are underway around the world examining their potential to treat COVID-19. However, these medicines pose well-known serious risks to patients including cardiac toxicity (potentially leading to sudden heart attacks), irreversible eye damage and severe depletion of blood sugar (potentially leading to coma).

Given the limited evidence for effect against COVID-19, as well as the risk of significant adverse effects, the TGA strongly discourages the use of hydroxychloroquine outside of its current indications at this time other than in a clinical trial setting or in a controlled environment in the treatment of severely ill patients in hospital.

Self medicating with such a dangerous drug that has shown no more effectiveness a than other drugs currently used is crazy. Just stay home and avoid contact with others ...simple.
April 06, 2020 10:05PM
Joy:

Do you take a blood thinner or an anti-arrthytmic drug, have you read about the bad things that can happen from taking these drugs? I do take a blood thinner, I don't like to but with persistent AF I have no choice. If you are dying from this virus, I think you would take the drug, there are a lot of stats out there whereby this drug, Hydroxycloroquin has saved lives. And of course as you know this drug is around 70 years old, many people have been on it and it has helped them. It isn't true what you said "(Self medicating with such a dangerous drug that has shown no more effectiveness a than other drugs currently used is crazy. Just stay home and avoid contact with others ...simple.)

I would try my Holistic docs protocol first, but I will not slam people that will take this drug, there are doctors that have given this drug for other problems for years and have said that they have had no problems. I think you do not know enough about this drug to make such statements.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login