Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium

Posted by greyhound gal 
Magnesium
March 01, 2020 01:59PM
Is Doctors Best still considered a very good magnesium supplement. I am currently taking Pure Encapsulations Magnesium glycinate. I know Doctors Best is a tablet as opposed to a capsule but I wasn't sure if that made any difference. Does anyone here swear by Doctors Best and why? Thanks!
Re: Magnesium
March 02, 2020 06:47AM
I swear by Pure Glycinate for 8 years now. I dont like the added ingredients in DBs.
March 08, 2020 12:25PM
I've tried different brands for the last year. (always glycinate) I have been taking Doctor'; Best for a couple of weeks.

What's the prob with the ingredients? Thanks.

[www.amazon.com]
March 08, 2020 04:18PM
There are numerous forms of magnesium and it’s known that some people do well on one form and others, do not.
It’s been fairly well documented here over many years that you have to experiment to see what works for you. Ideally,
the specific testing for intercellular magnesium (ExaTest) helps determine if what you choose has allowed for improved intracellular levels, but it’s not a routine lab test and is fairly costly, unfortunately. So, most afibbers just start trying various forms and doses to see what they tolerate and what produces positive effects – in this case, to help reverse the AF trend.

My preference has always been the patented product by Albion... identified as Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate (TRAACS®) - but without the "Buffered" designation indicating added magnesium oxide as the buffer as it is often noted that it’s not necessary to buffer the true chelate.

[As an aside, I have a history of an unfortunate chemical exposure that makes me susceptible to chemical reactions from fillers and additives in foods and supplements…so it’s imperative that any supplement I choose is free of extra chemicals and fillers..so the examples I’ve given here are specific to my restrictions. There are many reliable brands; just that my situation led me to bottlers who focus on purity and are often somewhat more pricey.]

I prefer capsules or powder to tablets because that eliminates the need to add those extra ingredients to hold tablet together. Less is more. But even some of the powders have added magnesium oxide … maybe as filler? … so watch the labels…no sense paying for a diluted product. Some of the powders have a ‘tart’ taste and others do not. I use the powder-form from Klaire Labs which has a slightly sweet taste… and if I need capsules for traveling, I have those as well. [klaire.com]

There are other forms and brands available and I also have a supply of Magnesium Malate capsules…good for muscle relaxing;
Magnesium Malate is a highly bioavailable form of magnesium. It contains di-magnesium malate, which is magnesium bound to malic acid. Malic acid is a compound found naturally in apples and other fruits and vegetables and is included because of its role in the Krebs cycle, the energy-producing system in the body.

I also use the Magnesium Threonate form… good for brain health and adrenal function… At bedtime, I always take some magnesium threonate and some of the bisglycinate chelate… and have always found that magnesium at bedtime helps to relax and (for me) helps sleep very well. Here’s one example:
[www.amazon.com]

Because of differences in age, diet, activity and health issues along with the AF history, some magnesium forms may be more beneficial than others and experimenting with form and dosing is usually the way to find the best 'fit' for your biochemistry.

Also, I should mention that I continue to use daily the homemade version of the magnesium bicarbonate water known as WW or Waller Water and formulated as a result of Unique Water studies out of Australia which I add to my well water. I have used that for the important alkalizing effect ever since Erling Waller produced the home-made version and shared the ‘recipe’. And, because too much magnesium can cause bowel tolerance issues, my supplemental magnesium dosing takes into consideration the quantity of WW that I consume any given day. It’s easy and very inexpensive to make.
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.uniquewater.com.au]

Last, to absorb magnesium topically or transdermally, you can always soak in a warm bath with Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) and there is the topical version of magnesium chloride …one is called MagneDerm; another, Ancient Minerals…from the Zechstein sea beds that you can apply to sore muscles and it helps relax quickly. The downside is it feels sticky so you have to spend the time to apply/wait/shower, etc. Read more here about the magnesium salts from the ancient sea beds.
[www.ancient-minerals.com]

I’m just elaborating to let you know that you may want to experiment and find what works for you. The guidelines help point out the options. We are all different and most all of us have done a lot of experimenting before we settled in on our ‘go to’ protocol.

Be well,
Jackie
March 13, 2020 08:52PM
THANK YOU, Jackie. Very informative. Have printed this out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login