Posted by colindo 
Eat Natto and live longer
January 30, 2020 06:15PM
This is a new study from the BMJ

[www.bmj.com]
Re: Eat Natto and live longer
January 31, 2020 05:37PM
Colin,
Very interesting study as a large population (93,000) was studied over a long period.

I found this very interesting:

“The bioactive components in fermented soy products include the fibrinolytic enzyme, nattokinase (in natto), and polyamine. The polyamine spermidine was previously found to have cardioprotective effects, with intake associated with reduced morality due to heart failure.”

This is what Wikipedia says about Spermidine:

“Spermidine synchronizes an array of biological processes (such as Ca2+, Na+, K+ -ATPase) thus maintaining membrane potential and controlling intracellular pH and volume. Spermidine regulates biological processes, such as Ca2+ influx by glutamatergic N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor (NMDA receptor), which has been associated with nitric oxide synthase (NOS) and cGMP/PKG pathway activation and a decrease of Na+,K+-ATPase activity in cerebral cortex synaptosomes. “

[en.wikipedia.org]

So Spermidine essentially does similar things to what phytoestrogens such as Genistien and Diadazem (very high in natto) but the really interesting thing is they are all involved with Autophagy (see below):

Autophagy is the natural, regulated mechanism of the cell that removes unnecessary or dysfunctional components. It allows the orderly degradation and recycling of cellular components.'

All along I have suspected PAF is a form of Cancer of the electrical system of the heart and the extra circuits in our atria that our hearts produce in latter life (and are ablated by our EP's) are a result of decreasing Autophagy as we age.

It seem's ironic that PAF and Cancer strike about the same time in middle and latter life

So by increasing the amount of Autophagy with eating natto (genistein, spermidine) we are destroying these extra atrial circuits through autophargy and consequently putting PAF into remission and protecting ourselves from Cancer at the same time?

What do you think?

Dean
January 31, 2020 09:25PM
Wheat Germ has the highest Spermidine, higher than Natto, could one substitute Wheat Germ instead of Natto? I take meds for my thyroid (I was hyper and had it nuked, years ago) I read that Soybeans should not be eaten if you have thyroid problems. I know that Natto is from Fermented soybeans and that is supposed to negate the soybeans effect on thyroids, but I want to be sure.

Liz
February 02, 2020 07:19AM
Thought-provoking as always Dean. I’m gonna try it again. Hope all good with you over in Forster fella!
February 02, 2020 12:46PM
Dean

So by increasing the amount of Autophagy with eating natto (genistein, spermidine) we are destroying these extra atrial circuits through autophargy and consequently putting PAF into remission and protecting ourselves from Cancer at the same time?

What do you think?

Dean

I hope you are right, it's a bit over my head but what I do know it is very good for our gut.
1 billion probiotics per gram. Plus all the other good stuff.
See Dr Axe link [draxe.com]
Its also been very good for my Afib reduction.
3 afib events last year, down from 2 to 3 a month.

It's not as bad to eat as some make out, almost no small but it's quite bland, so I sprinkle Cajun seasoning on the beans place on top of cooked toast and have with my morning coffee.

Colin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2020 12:48PM by colindo.
February 02, 2020 04:39PM
Mike,
Yeah, a bit of alternative thinking. Keeps the forum interestingwinking smiley

Forster area was the first to have the massive bush fires late last year. One started up in the center of town only kilometer from my house. A bit disconcerting to see the huge water bombing jets flying a couple of hundred feet over your house. Have alot of big old gum trees around me so that was a bit of worry but all ended up OK. Unlike many.

Dean
February 03, 2020 03:28PM
Yeah nothing wrong with some alternative thinking in the mix! Glad things didn’t get too hot for you recently Dean.
March 07, 2020 04:24PM
Miso is fermented soybeans also, could that be used instead of Natto?

LIz
March 08, 2020 03:07PM
Elizabeth
Miso is fermented soybeans also, could that be used instead of Natto?

LIz

I don't know but it's also very good for you, check this link [www.whfoods.com]

Colin
March 10, 2020 09:01AM
Interesting article. It takes a tablespoon of miso to make a cup of soup, which is what most Japanese drink every day. That means 600mg of salt, about a quarter of a normal daily recommended intake.

In spite of that, there's no connection with miso having an effect on the cardiovascular system.

Gordon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login