Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vitamin K1 & Eliquis

Posted by Lorraine 
Vitamin K1 & Eliquis
January 11, 2020 11:53AM
Is K1 contraindicated when on Eliquis?

I'm currently taking Doctor's Best, Natural Vitamin K2 MK-7 with MenaQ7, 45mcg capsules. But to get up to the 320mcg recommended by others on this site, I have to take 7 capsules. I haven't been able to find a brand that offers a higher dosage capsule without it also including K1.

Doctor's Best does has a 180mcg capsule but it includes D3 which I don't want as I have just recently switched to taking D3 in the form of drops for, hopefully, better absorption (I struggle to get my serum level in the optimal range despite taking 10,000IU/day for the last 2 years).
Re: Vitamin K1 & Eliquis
January 12, 2020 04:58AM
Iherb.com have "Jarrow Formulas, MK-7, Most Active Form of Vitamin K2, 180 mcg, 60 Softgels"
When they are back in stock.
January 12, 2020 10:54AM
Lorraine
Is K1 contraindicated when on Eliquis?

Lorraine, here's a quote from an earlier post by Shannon on K2 and Coumandin:

Don't worry at all about Vitamin K1 or either K2-MK7 or K2-MK4 while on Eliquis, Xeralto or the new Edoxaban just approved by the FDA as the third Factor Xa inhibitor NOAC.

You can take as much Vitamin K as you might reasonably want for better health without any problems with these NOAC drugs. These drugs are not Vitamin K antagonists.

My understanding--others can comment--is that Eliquis works on a different pathway, unrelated to vitamin K, to reduce clotting.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2020 10:58AM by ln108.
January 12, 2020 07:08PM
ln108
You can take as much Vitamin K as you might reasonably want for better health without any problems with these NOAC drugs. These drugs are not Vitamin K antagonists.

My understanding--others can comment--is that Eliquis works on a different pathway, unrelated to vitamin K, to reduce clotting.

I concur with Lance.
January 12, 2020 08:17PM
Thanks everyone. All very helpful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login