Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Afib, gout and low vitamin D

Posted by colindo 
Afib, gout and low vitamin D
December 09, 2019 03:40PM
My last afib event which was about 6 weeks ago coincided with a bout of gout, my uric acid levels were high, I was prescribed naproxen? ....Maybe I should have been given a vitamin D3 level test and given VitD supplement instead ?

Was this just a coincidence?

On doing some research I found an article from BMJ proving there is a link [ard.bmj.com]

Note the amount of VitD supplement given "The patients received oral vitamin D therapy at a dose of 50.000 IU weekly for 3 months."
Re: Afib, gout and low vitamin D
December 10, 2019 09:02AM
Colin: Do you take Allopurinol for your gout? Over the years I have taken it for over 30 years without a repeat attack; indeed I have tapered the medication down to a quarter pill daily with no side effects noticed. I also developed afib during the period the gout was under control.

My father and 2 of my 3 sons also had/have gout and one of them had afib which was recently ablated. Both sons also take Allopurinol which has stopped their gout attacks.

The Arthritis Foundation certainly believes there's a high correlation between gout and Afib: [blog.arthritis.org]

Better get your gout under control sooner rather than later.

Gordon
December 10, 2019 01:02PM
Thanks for the link Gordon, I was offered Allopurinol but as I don't get gout often I didn't accept, I thought it more to do with dehydration than anything.
On resuarching gout and Allopurinol i notice it thends to lower uric acid and rise VitD levels, and after reading Steve Carr's posts I am inclined to check my VitD and uric acid levels, take VitD supplements and see how they affect uric acid levels.

If that doesn't work there is always Allopurinol.

Colin
December 11, 2019 08:41AM
Allopurinol is one of the least toxic, well tolerated drugs around and has been on the market forever.

Keeping purines minimized in my diet has been a big help in reducing the Allopuriniol dosage.

I recently had a joint replacement on my big toe, (osteo not gouty arthritis), and the joint showed no sign of gout.

My Internist says he's seen gout with low uric acid and very high uric acid with no gout. We're all lab rat experiments of one, I guess.
January 09, 2020 01:00PM
I got the results of my VitD test a couple of weeks ago, and sure enough they were low, very low at 60 nmol/L (24 ng/ml) which equals a deficiency.
I have since been supplementing with 5000 iu a day, and now no sign of gout, or afib for that matter.
January 09, 2020 02:56PM
Here’s an article for you colindo. Check the case study near the start. Let me know what you think!

Uricacid andcalciumoxalatenephrolithiasis.

[www.kidney-international.org]

Cheers,
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2020 02:57PM by mwcf.
January 10, 2020 09:38PM
colindo
My last afib event which was about 6 weeks ago coincided with a bout of gout, my uric acid levels were high

In this podcast, nephrologist & researcher Rick Johnson MD gives, among other things a master class in uric acid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login