Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best diet 'wars'

Posted by Joe 
Joe
Best diet 'wars'
August 04, 2019 08:27PM
I'm still not clear/confused after having watched many apparently qualified experts on Keto diets, Vegetarian diets and Vegan diets.
No doubt, the Keto diet works extremely well for GeorgeN and it was partly why i watched many videos on the subject.
Being aware of confirmation bias, i also watched many from the plant based diet section e.g. this one:
[www.youtube.com]

After all the watching i still think that Edgar Casey (a US psychic who die in 1945) gave the best advise re. diet(s)of them all.

Of the modern science experts i think Peter Attia could be on the money when he says eat what you like (or something to that effect) as long as you keep your blood sugar to 85 =/-15 and a slightly positive nitrogen balance in the urine. He also does periodic fasting which means going into ketosis.

While i'm at it - i heard Dr Longo mention that time restricted eating beyond 12 to 13 hours shows an increase in the likelihood of developing gall stones. Others say that this is only because they don't ingest enough fats - go figure?
Re: Best diet 'wars'
August 05, 2019 01:57PM
Joe:

I think a lot of these diets are kooky. I follow mostly the Mediterranean diet, you can eat beans, peas, lentils, veggies, meat, fruits, nuts, olive oil, eggs, I also eat some good grain bread. Don't eat sugar and cook your own food. I don't understand this fasting thing that is supposed to be so good for you. I wonder what these people in these countries that don't have enough to eat do they think they are healthy because of not getting food to eat. Our bodies need nutrients to be able to work and survive, I think this fasting is a fad. I start getting palps if I go to long without eating, I need my food.

Liz
Joe
August 05, 2019 08:59PM
Fasting may not be for you Liz but there is a lot of science showing the benefits. Have a look what Valter Longo has to say (he is/was Italien since you mentioned the med dietsmiling smiley)
August 06, 2019 01:33PM
Fasting for as little as three days can regenerate the entire immune system, even in the elderly, scientists have found in a breakthrough described as "remarkable".

Here is a search of it. Take your pick of the sites. [duckduckgo.com]
August 07, 2019 02:22PM
Joe:

Victor Longo doesn't look very healthy---there really isn't any hard core science about fasting, there is a lot of talk but is it a fad? I don't know, I have seen over the years about going on different diets that are supposed to increase your life etc. You know, all of these gurus didn't live any longer because of their diets. We are supposed to eat more vegetables for heart health, the Paleo diet isn't that great for you. I think George N,s diet is a little strange, people might try to follow it and not do well. I read that you have to have had a good diet before going on a fast, you just can't jump into a fast. Anyway, do a lot of research before following what you read on the internet.

Liz
Joe
August 07, 2019 10:01PM
I hope i do - listen to good adviseconfused smiley Trick is, is it good for my phenotype.
Anyway, for me it's not about life span, just health span.
August 07, 2019 10:13PM
Joe:

I didn't mean you personally should do a lot of research, I meant we all need to do a lot of research. I know you are well read from what you post.

Liz
Joe
August 08, 2019 05:15AM
No worries, Liz! I welcome constructive criticism directed at me or not, part of learningthumbs up
November 28, 2019 07:49AM
Fasting is a great way to help maintain or even lose weight. The problem is what you eat following a fast, especially if its longer than 12 hours. I'm sure some folks go right back to eating regular foods which can reek havoc on your digestive system. Following a 3 day'er I ease back into eating fruits and vegetables.

Also, for me anyway, I really start to get energized by the end of the second day of a fast.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login