Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thyroid meds and blood thinners

Posted by Elizabeth 
Thyroid meds and blood thinners
December 26, 2018 09:35PM
Anybody on thyroid meds and blood thinners?

Thyroid hormones

… cholesterol lowering drugs, blood thinners such as Coumadin or heart medicine like digoxin should check with a physician or pharmacist. In theory, the herb guggul might counteract thyroid-suppressing drugs or increase the effect of thyroid hormones. Monitoring thyroid function is prudent. Licorice may alter the required dose of levothyroxine because of its impact on the thyroid gland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2018 09:44PM by Elizabeth.
Re: Thyroid meds and blood thinners
December 27, 2018 01:27PM
Liz - I deleted my response post to you because after I read your response, I realize my comments were confusing, at best. Sorry.

There was no concern about a problem between Eliquis and the Armour thyroid.

The issue was that my Primary Care and FM MD doctor didn't want to prescribe the hormone treatment after I'd had the second and third ablation... thinking the onset might have been related to thyroid stimulation. Dr. Natale said it was okay to continue taking the Armour thyroid as long as my Labs remained in the acceptable/normal range. My other doctors didn't feel comfortable with that so didn't prescribe.... but their reasons had nothing to do with the fact that I was to remain taking Eliquis... even at the half dose.

I hope that clarifies for you. Again. Sorry.

Jackie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2018 06:25PM by Jackie.
Re: Thyroid meds and blood thinners
December 27, 2018 02:58PM
Oh my gosh, what about people that don't have their thyroid or very little of it, they have to stay on their thyroid meds like me. The more you read the scary it is. My EP never ever mentioned anything about thyroid meds and taking a blood thinner, he wanted me to take a blood thinner and he knows I take thyroid meds. I don't have very much faith in the med. field.

liz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login