Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prostate Cancer Support

Posted by ggheld 
Prostate Cancer Support
August 19, 2018 08:58AM
During my prox. 15 years on this Board I've learned a great deal about my Afib, found solutions like Dr. Natale, exchanged ideas, resources and in general found Afibber's Forum to be the single best source of information, knowledge and support in successfully treating my Afib, and I'll be eternally grateful for all the information flow.

Now, at 81 y/o, after a prostate MRI I find myself diagnosed with apparently localized prostate cancer.

I'm thinking there are at least several others on this Board who are or have been in similar situations, including significant others of ladies here. I'm hoping they will share resources similar to this for prostate cancer, if such Boards even exist.

I need to learn a lot about the subject quickly and a cursory review of Internet support groups hasn't turned up anything close to what we have here.

I'm finding my Urologist runs his practice like a factory; tells me what he found, what my options are and when to come back for another test; i.e., guess I get my Medicare approved 12 minutes with him and a very nice printed report of my visit to take home but that doesn't include much time for interaction and confidence building so I obviously need to create my own database.

All inputs and suggestions appreciated.

Gordon
Re: Prostate Cancer Support
August 24, 2018 03:16PM
Hi Gordon,

Sorry to hear of you diagnoses and can only suggest you have a look at natto.
There is some information about it being able help slow down prostate cancer. But can't find it now.
It's to do with isoflavones (in particular one called genistein) and vitamin K2. Natto is very high in vitamin K2 and genistein.
Have a look at this link below.
[articles.mercola.com]

I had a psa test earlier this year and have being eating natto for the last 4 months, i go for another psa test next week, so it will be interesting to see the results.
During this time of eating natto I find among other things I am not dribbling after a pee.
I hope I have been of some help.

Colin
August 25, 2018 09:23AM
Hi Colin: Thanks for the thoughts and research, particularly adding Vitamin K2.

Do you know any good way to make natto taste good or even palatable?

Seems like adding a few drops of K2 to my daily Carlson's fish oil would be a more practical solution for me. It would be wonderful to eliminate dribbling, too.

I suppose that 15 minutes/day of sunshine with 40% of your body uncovered is not significant skin cancer risk but I can visualize my Dermatologist crossing his arms and protesting already.

Jackie has PM'd me with several good suggestions, one of the prime ones being to supplement with Astaxanthin, which I will start very soon. .[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

She also suggested serrapeptase which might have some natto like benefits: [examine.com]

Lots to think about, particularly about Mercola's discussion on the risks of having a biopsy. I had an MRI but now the Urologist says the next step is a biopsy from the 18 needle cartridge inserted into the rectum so he can determine if there's more than one grade of cancer present but of course he can only biopsy areas where he feels something might be amiss, not the whole gland.

Also interesting is that my PSA went from 6.3 to 4.7 in 3 months after stopping testosterone supplementation.

Gordon
August 25, 2018 02:49PM
Hi Gordon,

The best way I have found to eat natto is to place 40 or 50 gms (2 oz's) on a slice of buttered toast, sprinkle some cajun on top and eat with a cup of tea or coffee. You must whip the natto in a bowl with a fork about 50 times first.
I wouldn't say it was delicious but it's not as bad as some would make you believe and it has so much good stuff in it.

The genistein is in the soybean that's the part that fights the cancer. have a look at this link [undergroundhealthreporter.com]

Astaxanthin looks interesting, I've not seen that before, Jackie is a wealth of information and very helpful.

Colin
August 26, 2018 08:58AM
The last paragraph of your reference recommends taking the nattokinase supplement, which I've been doing for some years now and plan to continue.

Thanks for the link.

Gordon
October 18, 2018 03:32PM
How's things going for you Gordon,

I have come across a web site that may help you.
[healthunlocked.com]

Colin
October 20, 2018 07:39AM
Thanks for checking in and the link, Colin:

I have been following Inspire.com which has a prostate cancer bulletin board and will take a look at healthunlocked.com

Interesting couple of things from the post you referenced: Bitter Melon is a new one to me but I've been taking phytosterols for BPH for maybe 10 years, along with saw palmetto and pygeum sometimes, which I believe have been effective since I have a large prostate with few urinary problems. I'll check bitter melon out a little more.

I upgraded my treatment center to UCSF where the physicians don't make any extra money by recommending even biopsys and almost had Dr. Shinohara's recommendation to delay the biopsy my local Urologist recommended but he wanted one more urine test and that result showed probable clinically significant presence of PCa so I'm scheduled for him to do an MRI Fusion Biopsy on October 29.

UCSF is a teaching hospital and I'm assured that Dr. S. will do the biopsy himself although residents will probably be there during the procedure.

Gordon
December 28, 2018 03:35PM
The December 2018 Issue of Life Extension Magazine has a report on Dietary Approaches for the Prevention of Prostate Cancer... giving various food properties that help through specific nutrients provided....with study references.

[www.lifeextension.com]

Jackie
December 31, 2018 08:59AM
Thanks, Jackie:

Little late now for me to do a preventative diet.

I need to focus more on treatment options; including medical, diet, supplements and patience.

Gordon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login