Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Low platelets
January 29, 2018 09:52PM
Jackie:

I know from reading that you have low platelets, how low is low? I have low platelets also, my platelet count is 128, Lab values--140-400. This was taken in Aug. of last year. My reason for asking is if ones platelet count is too low than a blood thinner would be not tolerated.

Liz
Re: Low platelets
January 30, 2018 10:28AM
Liz - Yes... mine are flagged low on the lab results from Lab Corp who lists the range limits as 150 - 379.
I'm usually tested at least once a year and the results are typically around 140 and have been for years.
In 2015, one was 137 and by then, I was on Eliquis.

Note the explanation at this link... [patienteducation.osumc.edu]

According to this info, the concern becomes when platelet count is 50,000 or lower. So you and I both are
around 140,000 which is almost triple the warning risk factor number.

In all the consulting I've done with the AF, I've never had a physician express concern over my slightly low platelet count. However, I am aware that while I may bleed a little longer, but even with the Eliquis, the minor cuts I have had were easily controlled without panic or concern.

Jackie
Re: Low platelets
January 30, 2018 01:20PM
Jackie:

Thanks, when my doctor was talking to me about taking a blood thinner he mentioned I couldn't take it if I had low platelets, I said I do, he asked how low. I told him it was at the low end of the lab scale as I didn't have the number before me, so nothing more was said.

Liz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login