Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Low platelets

Posted by Elizabeth 
Low platelets
January 29, 2018 09:52PM
Jackie:

I know from reading that you have low platelets, how low is low? I have low platelets also, my platelet count is 128, Lab values--140-400. This was taken in Aug. of last year. My reason for asking is if ones platelet count is too low than a blood thinner would be not tolerated.

Liz
Re: Low platelets
January 30, 2018 10:28AM
Liz - Yes... mine are flagged low on the lab results from Lab Corp who lists the range limits as 150 - 379.
I'm usually tested at least once a year and the results are typically around 140 and have been for years.
In 2015, one was 137 and by then, I was on Eliquis.

Note the explanation at this link... [patienteducation.osumc.edu]

According to this info, the concern becomes when platelet count is 50,000 or lower. So you and I both are
around 140,000 which is almost triple the warning risk factor number.

In all the consulting I've done with the AF, I've never had a physician express concern over my slightly low platelet count. However, I am aware that while I may bleed a little longer, but even with the Eliquis, the minor cuts I have had were easily controlled without panic or concern.

Jackie
Re: Low platelets
January 30, 2018 01:20PM
Jackie:

Thanks, when my doctor was talking to me about taking a blood thinner he mentioned I couldn't take it if I had low platelets, I said I do, he asked how low. I told him it was at the low end of the lab scale as I didn't have the number before me, so nothing more was said.

Liz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login