Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PEMF treatment, does it work

Posted by colindo 
PEMF treatment, does it work
January 13, 2018 05:16PM
Has anyone had experience with PEMF treatment?
in particular to pinched nerve pain?
Re: PEMF treatment, does it work
February 14, 2018 06:16PM
Hi colindo, I have a PEMF machine (iMRS 2000) and I have been using it since April 2016. I use it 3 times a day for 8 minutes each time. It has helped me in the following ways:
* General health: I have more energy and have virtually no aches and pains. I use to just accept the minor pain and stiffness as part of aging and treat it with Tylenol. I do not use Rx for pain relief.
* Lower Back Pain: I had been having two epidural injections, one in L4 and one in L5 every 3 to 4 months for a couple of years for pain (severe). I no longer get injections and I no longer have lower back pain. The diagnosis for my back was degenerative disk disease.
* Neuropathy: I had neuropathy (numbness & pain) in my feet, some in my left thigh and a lot in my right thigh. I no longer suffer from neuropathy.
* Healing: Injuries seem to heal much faster and muscles seem to recover faster from injury. PEMF is often used on race horses. Also, I think some NFL players use PEMF.
* Immunology: I think my immune system is a lot heather. I have not been sick since I started using my machine. Although, I was never really prone to being sick very much.
* Stress: I feel like my stress level has been reduce. I was not really stressed out or taking meds before I got the machine, but, I still feel like I am more stress free.
* Skin: My skin looks and feels much better. Most of the aging spots have gone away or have become lighter in color.

Two of my neighbors had purchased PEMF machines and I purchased mine when I saw the results they received from their machines. Their problems were cardio vascular. One was recovering from heart attacks and the other was trying to recover from veins being relocated from his arm to his leg. The Ejection Fraction for the one who had the heart attack went up enough that it surprised his doctor. The neighbor with circulation problems had the swelling and pain which he had been fighting for a few months pretty much go away.

You may already know, but generally speaking, PEMF works on the body at the cellular level primarily increasing the oxygen in the blood and this allows the body to be better able to take care of itself as it was designed to do. PEMF per say does not fix or cure anything. If these things happen, it is the body and it systems doing their job.

BTY, I am 74 years old and my top priority is staying healthy and mobile. I work out at a gym and play golf. Hope this has been helpful.
February 14, 2018 06:35PM
Hello BeachBill - Thanks for sharing your information. Can you share ... .brand, model and source you all use?
Could you state the cost? I'd like to investigate a reliable source to recommend to a friend who has multiple pain issues from crushed vertebrae. Acupuncture helps but having equipment at home would be ideal.

Do you also have afib? Just curious as to how you located our website. Oh, sorry. I started reading this section first and just saw your Intro post on the Afibber's side. Welcome. Glad you found us.

Thanks,
Jackie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2018 06:39PM by Jackie.
February 14, 2018 09:41PM
Hi Jackie,
Price: There are 6 packages:
1. $3775 iMRS Wellfit
2. $4695 iMRS wellfit SET
3. $4565 iMRS Complete
4. $5505 iMRS complete SET
5. $5545 iMRS professional
6. $6545 iMRS professional SET

The only difference in the six packages is the software and accessories that are included. It is a little confusing because the product is developed and manufactured in Switzerland so the communication is a little rough. Most of their customers are in Europe and Asia. I have the Professional Set. After looking at the website, if you have any questions about the product or the packages, I'll be happy to help.

P.S.
Taking into account your friends condition and the desire to control pain, a TENS unit may be the best choice to try. I also have a tens unit that I have had for about 5 or 6 years. I haven't used it since I got my PEMF device but when I did use it, it worked quite well for me relieving pain caused by injury or muscle spasms. There are a lot of different brands of TENS units available and the pricing goes from around $40 to $100+. The device is small and has electrodes you connect to the body. The placement depends on the site of the pain. The device introduces very low current at a specific frequency to the body. It stops the pain by more or less scrambling the pain signal being sent to the brain and hence the brain doesn't decode the pain signal. I mention this device because it is cheap and has a pretty good track record for essentially cancelling out pain. Of course, the down side is that it does nothing to help fix the source of the pain.
Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2018 10:11PM by BeachBill.
February 15, 2018 09:10AM
Thank you, Bill...for the detailed response. I appreciate it. I'll pass it along.

Jackie
February 15, 2018 02:00PM
Hi Jackie and Bill,

Thank you for your reply's.

I purchased an almag-01 it cost about $500.00 you can get it from [www.drpawluk.com]
I got it for my wife's benefit, she had terrible nerve pain down her shoulder and arm, she had it for about 4 or 5 years, taking pain meds every day, with her kidney function reducing.
I got the almag 01 on trial for 2 weeks, but after only two day, two treatments a day the pain had gone. So I purchased it, now I read that it can help Afib. See [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] and [www.drpawluk.com]

Colin
February 15, 2018 07:40PM
Bill:

Your device doesn't help your AF? I have a pacemaker I wonder if a tens unit would cause any harm to it, I am not depended on it.

Liz
February 15, 2018 09:11PM
Elizabeth
Bill:

Your device doesn't help your AF? I have a pacemaker I wonder if a tens unit would cause any harm to it, I am not depended on it.

Liz

Liz:
My device does have a protocol for AF. I have not tried it. All reports I have read indicate it takes several months (6 to 12) to achieve favorable results with most problems. I don't have a lot of patience (I am working on changing this). It is for this shortcoming that I am not attacking the AF beast with chemicals. Too much like looking for a needle in a hay stack which is time consuming. When I purchased the device it was to help me with the problems I described in the post above. The good news is that it did fix these problems for me. I started noticing positive results at the onset and the results improved over time. After about 3 or 4 months I no longer had the problems and they have not returned. At that time, AF was not a problem for me. Now I am looking forward to the device helping me with my recovery from AF surgery. The device is recognized as helping with recovery from any type of injury or surgery. In addition, it is also recognized for helping mend broken bones, especially the ones that refuse to heal (can't remember what this condition is called). All in all, there are a few hundred protocol for treatment that comes with the device. Also, there is a warning not to use the device's full body mat if you have implanted electrical devices such as pacemakers without a medical doctor's approval. It is OK to use the pad and probe as long as they are not used in the area of the implanted electrical devices or the heart. Otherwise, it is a DIY and there have been no recorded instances where the device has caused harm. The reason for this is because of the low power and frequency of the magnetic fields.

Regarding the TENS device, a small current passes between each pair of electrodes. The electrode placements recommended are specific for where the pain is located. The TENS unit should be OK if the electrodes are not placed in such a manner as to put the electrical implanted device between electrodes.

I feel the need to make it perfectly clear to all who may read my posts that I have no medically training at all. I am simply a retired engineer who is curious and likes doing things for myself and enjoys researching and solving problems. So, it is up to the reader to decide how many grains of salt my opinions are worth.

I wish you nothing but success with handling your medical problem(s) and I will be happy to help in any way that I am able.
February 16, 2018 02:21PM
Elizabeth
Bill:

Liz

Liz,
You ask a good question about the device and AF. While I waiting to pursue ablation surgery, I am going to use my machine for arrhythmia. It takes 40 minutes a day. If I see what I think are any changes (positive or negative), I will post it. Thanks for the little wake-up.
Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2018 04:45PM by BeachBill.
February 16, 2018 06:38PM
Bill - That's a great idea. I was thinking about recommending either methods for a person with diabetic neuropathy but was also concerned about the compatibility with afib so I'll be watching for your report.

If there is a negative reaction, then be very aware of that once you do have your ablation procedure.

Jackie
March 05, 2018 01:06PM
I am new here and this is my first post. I have had afib since 2007 and have an implanted Medtronic pacemaker. I am exploring pemf mats but wanted to be sure that it would not harm me or damage my pacemaker. There are two videos on youtube about pemf and afib. They both say that the older unipolar pacemakers are not compatible with a pemf machine. Any pacemaker implanted after 2000 or 2005 (depending on who you believe in these two videos) should be bipolar pacemakers and would be OK. I can stand in front of a microwave (which I do everyday) and I can go through metal detectors without a problem. I had my unit replaced about 3 years ago because the battery was close to end of life. So, I am feeling more comfortable about getting a pemf mat. It is only the mat that is compatible - not the small pad, bar or ring.

I have compared various pemf mats and the OMI pemf mat is only about $1250 online compared to several thousand dollars for Bemer and other mats. I think it's a worthwhile investment. My concern is my weight and I wonder if anyone here is overweight and has used a pemf mat without a problem. All of these mats last about 3 years so they will have to be replaced at some point.

Thank you for reading.
March 08, 2018 11:30AM
Hi Robby - I would recommend that before you buy a PEMF machine, you obtain the technical information (EMF pwr, frequency, waveform, etc) about the PEMF machine and discuss if using that PEMF machine with your pacemaker is OK with your doctor and get his approval. Regarding weight, there should be weight limits specified for a PEMF machine.

If you don't mind me asking, what benefits would you be expecting from using the PEFM machine?

Hope this is helpful...Bill
March 09, 2018 05:00PM
Thank you for your suggestion. I have researched a lot about this. I saw my cardiologist yesterday and he didn't know what a PEMF machine was. He's a very good doctor but not inclined to go outside his field. I have my annual physical coming up with my regular doctor but after having been with him many years I know he will either advise against it or refer me to my cardiologist - a never ending loop.

I saw one of your previous posts and hope to gain similar benefits. I have neuropathy, leg pains from beta blockers and diuretics (now discontinued), lower back pain from spinal stenosis and overweight, poor circulation in extremities. And other things that come and go.

I just read the abstraction of the tests done on pemf devices that concluded that bipolar devices like mine are not affected by PEMF mats - especially the low intensity ones I am considering. So, I am contemplating just giving it a try but haven't fully convinced myself yet. Thanks for your reply. Most appreciated.
March 11, 2018 04:25AM
Hi Robby,

You may like to have a chat with Dr Pawluk he is the expert with these machines and would advise you better than anyone.
sales@drpawluk.com.
March 12, 2018 04:49PM
Thanks for your suggestion. I called there but everyone was too busy to talk. So, I sent in my question and never heard back. But I did read that he has said as long as you don't put a pemf mat, bar or ring on or near your device it's okay to use. Based on that information and the two youtube videos and the abstract of the study done in europe that I located on Pubmed I ordered the OMI mat sunday. Also, the information I received from Medtronic was helpful. Should get it this week and give it a try. I'll let you know how I do with it. It's a low frequency mat like the Bemer. Bemer says it's OK to use with pacemakers and the specs on the OMI mat are very similar to Bemer.
April 04, 2018 04:36PM
Well, I have been using my PEMF mat for a few weeks now. I have monitored my heart rate when I take my blood pressure and it is in the same range as before. Just to be certain I did a remote pacemaker check into my doctors office. When I didn't hear back within a few days I called and was told that if I hadn't been called everything was OK.

I also had my annual echo heart exam and haven't had a call back from the doctor. I will be seeing him in a couple of weeks and he usually calls with results. I'm surprised that he hasn't called yet but I'm assuming everything is OK.

Other than that I have had many noticeable health improvements. More energy, less neuropathy pain and numbness, better balance (just carry a cane for insurance but don't really use it), better digestion, better sleep, better moods and generally continued improvement in many areas.

I experimented with several different settings but finally settled on 10 Hz setting for 11 minutes twice a day and then 2 Hz for 11 minutes before bedtiime for nerve regeneration and sleep problems. 10 Hz with a square wave pattern is what NASA used on the astronauts. There is also a recommended setting for arrythmia at 8 Hz but I haven't tried that yet.

Overall I feel this has been a good investment for me. I saw my Network Chiropractor today and he said my spine was relaxed enough that I could start seeing him every two weeks. I started at 3 times a week and have gotten down to once a week and will probably discontinue after my current series of prepaid visits is finished. I'm also looking into another machine that has more incremental settings and can be put under your mattress, pillow or even under the bed and used all night for improved sleep and other things. Dr. Pawluk has a video on this Earth Pulse device and said he uses it under his pillow at night.

Thanks for reading this.
April 04, 2018 05:40PM
Hi Robby, It is great that PEMF helped you so much. It did the same for me. I have been using my machine since April 2016. After reading a lot about how PEMF actually works, in a simplified way, I look at the cells as batteries and the PEMF therapy as a battery charger. When a battery has been charged, there is no advantage to continuing to charge it. I say this because should you go to using PEMF the whole night, you may not see any noticeable positive results. I have a pad and could use my machine at night while I sleep but I really don't see where there would be any advantage to using my machine that long. Typically the charge time for cells is 8 minutes and it will take the cells a few hours before they need to be charged again. Hence, 8 minutes three times a day is recommended for normal use. Also, when treating some conditions, the cells involved may have a resonance frequency that requires lower power and longer treatment, say 24 minutes with minimum power. I just mention this for your own edification.

Good luck and good health.
April 05, 2018 03:39PM
Thanks for your reply. The mat I use has recommended settings anywhere 8 to 30 minutes per session depending upon the condition being treated. The Earth Pulse is a different kind of device that you can place under your mattress or even under your bed or even on a painful area of the body directly. It can be directed in a concentrated way or splayed out in a wide pattern from under the bed. It works differently than a mat. I'm still exploring it but Dr. Pawluk uses it under his pillow all night. Glad you had such good results from your iMRS mat. I hope my results are as successful.
April 07, 2018 01:36PM
I just wanted to clarify that I am using the OMI PEMF therapy mat. The Earth Pulse is a different device that I am considering. Also, I'm reading about grounding sheets, wrist bands, etc. This is an interesting area too explore.
April 07, 2018 02:29PM
robby1939
I just wanted to clarify that I am using the OMI PEMF therapy mat. The Earth Pulse is a different device that I am considering. Also, I'm reading about grounding sheets, wrist bands, etc. This is an interesting area too explore.

Keep in mind (OMI vs Earth Pulse vs ?) that PEMF machines differ in several different ways but they all have one basic goal. Deliver the PEMF signal to your body that will obtain the best results. You may want to read PEMF The 5th Element of Health by Bryant A Meyers if you have not already done so. It explains electromagnetic force fields as they relate to the body very well. Also, Dr. Sinatra covers grounding pretty well in his book about natural ways to keep your heart healthy.
April 12, 2018 04:27PM
Thanks, Bill. I am aware of the book PEMF The 5th Element. It looks like a long read and there were a lot of negative comments about it concerning contradictions but I'm sure there's a lot of good information there too. Haven't read about the book by Dr. Sinatra. I downloaded the Kindle version of a book by Dr. Pawluk but it's very technical and you have to be really dedicated about the subject to absorb it. I'm trying a little at a time.

Two other small benefits I've noticed since starting PEMF therapy is the almost complete elimination of a large cyst on the back of my neck and the cessation of a nerve twitching near my right eye. My balance has improved to the point that I don't need my cane anymore but I take it with me when I go out and just carry it for insurance. My echo and EKG came back normal and my pulse rate is unchanged since beginning the therapy. Numbness and walking pain persists but is slowly improving. It's been about a month since I started this.
April 13, 2018 02:38PM
robby1939
Thanks, Bill. I am aware of the book PEMF The 5th Element. It looks like a long read and there were a lot of negative comments about it concerning contradictions but I'm sure there's a lot of good information there too.

Robby, glad to hear about the positive results you are getting from your PEMF machine. I too have had very similar results. Also a friend of mine has seen his A1C go from 6.7 to 6.4 from using a PEMF machine. He also had surgery to remove cancer between his eye and his nose and his doctor was very surprised at how fast the surgery healed.

I didn't really see any contradictions in the PEMF The 5th Element book. Its rating on Amazon is 4 1/2 stars out of 5 with 211 reviews. Most of the negative comments are because the author is biased towards the PEMF machine he also sells. However, the information about PEMF is very informative and he did a good job of pulling it all together.

Wishing you good health.
April 17, 2018 02:20PM
BeachBill

Bill:

Liz

Liz,
You ask a good question about the device and AF. While I waiting to pursue ablation surgery, I am going to use my machine for arrhythmia. It takes 40 minutes a day. If I see what I think are any changes (positive or negative), I will post it. Thanks for the little wake-up.
Bill

Liz,
I have been neglectful. I was not able to follow a good treatment schedule with the machine. So, the question is still open but hopefully closed for me. I have decided to bite the bullet and will be going in for ablation next week. However, another test is underway for the machine. My brother severely fractured his ankle. He underwent surgery and had 5 pins and a plate inserted. He also has a machine and will provide a good test for the machine's "fracture" and "wound healing" therapy.

Bill
April 17, 2018 06:00PM
For anyone who is interested you can download Bryant Meyers book for free at www.imrs2000.com. I found this out reading his response to a negative review of his book on amazon.

When I had my pacemaker unit replaced due to the battery life coming to an end the surgeon told me that he did all kinds of ablations and he said he would not recommend one to me. I didn't pursue his statement with him. Maybe it was my age, weight or that he didn't think it would be necessary at this point in life. My cardiologist recommended a Watchman Device that blocks the left atria so clots don't form and I could get off Warfarin and just take aspirin therapy. But after doing my own research I found that some prominent cardiologist said "DON'T DO IT!" So, I told my doctor and he didn't question it.
April 17, 2018 11:00PM
What was the reason your cardiology said not to get the watchman device? I have read some good things about it, do you also read the AF board? If you do, then you know who Shannon is, he has a watchman device and is happy, he doesn't have to take these blood thinners. Dr. Natale's hospital does do the watchman device installation.

LIz
April 19, 2018 12:11PM
Sorry for the confusion. My cardiologist actually recommended the Watchman Device and also a particular doctor at the Cleveland Clinic here in south florida. However, I did the research online and saw some well known cardiologists advise not to do it. I told my doctor that I would like to see some more history on it before I proceed and he didn't disagree or try to persuade me to do it. I had been advised at one time in the past to have a type of ablation performed by TWO heart doctors - a cardiologist and an electrophysiologist. I declined at the time and later when I asked that doctor if he was still performing that procedure he said no. There had been too many adverse results. So, my feeling is to wait, watch and continue to explore. I'll look at the posting by the doctor you recommended. I was also told that I would have to take aspirin therapy which causes digestive issues for me.

I'm considering Xarelto again but I had the worst nightmare of my life when I took it the first time.
April 28, 2018 11:05AM
I saw my cardiologist again this week and asked him about results of the his patients with the Watchman implantation. He said about six patients had undergone the procedure and one had problems. This is what I had read on the internet - one in six has complications. He said he was going to a seminar given by the company that makes the device in June and would give me an update when I next see him in July.

Devices change and are improved as does the procedure so I'll see what he says. There is a period after the implant is done when you take Plavix and aspirin and then you can go off blood thinners. At least most people can. Some just continue with blood thinners. Not too encouraging. I asked again about ablation and he said I have had afib for a long time and it would most likely not be effective. He had my latest pacemaker check and said I was pacing about 100% of the time and the device seemed unaffected by my PEMF mat. He seemed to know more about it this time and said just to keep it away from my pm. Also had the results of my lates echo test which were good for the most part and nothing needed to be done.
April 28, 2018 01:02PM
Hi Robby - I have a couple questions... what was the complication of that one patient?
Also, does the post treatment have to be Plavix and Aspirin? One can't continue on half-dose Eliquis?

That would be a bummer to go through the implant and still be on those chemicals.

When you say, "had AF for a long time".... what's a long time? Over 8 - 10 years? More?

And, with a Watchman... have you read or heard about the type of material the device is made out of? Metal? Like Titanium? Any history of rejection in those sensitive to certain metals or materials?

Thanks!

Jackie
April 30, 2018 05:17PM
I didn't ask my cardiologist what the complications were. You could probably find that out through an internet search for that as well as the material the Warchman is made of.

I have had afib since 2007 when I had the pacemaker implant. I am currently pacing 100% of the time as per my last checkup. At the time no one suggested an ablation to me. Wonder why.

Regarding post implant of the Watchman my doctor said Plavix and aspirin until the heart tissue had completely grown around the implant and then no medication necessary. But I read online that some people still had to take Warfarin. So, it's an individual outcome.

I agree, going through the procedure only to find out that you still had to take warfarin or some other blood thinner would be disappointing. That's why I am waiting for more history and the information he brings back from the seminar in June.
May 02, 2018 01:00PM
I just looked up the material the Watchman Device is made of. It is a metal frame made of nitinol covered in fabric made of polyethelene terephalate.
This is typical of other implant devices.

I also looked up the complications that can arise but it's a long complicated article that deals with many types of implants. It is in the Journal of Atrial Fibrillation, I believe. When I read it more carefully I can give more information. But you can google complications of Watchman Device implants and probably find it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login