Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Supplements for insulin resistance

Posted by wolfpack 
Supplements for insulin resistance
December 09, 2017 06:12PM
Well here we are at the start of another winter season and I’m looking to somehow avoid the 10-20lb weight gain that’s destined to happen as physical activity is reduced by temperatures and daylight hours.

Assuming (and it’s a guess) that insulin resistance has some role to play in all of this, what supplements are both effective and safe to experiment with? What should be looked out for or avoided? I ask this here because the internet is a VERY dangerous thing when one searches for weight loss or metabolism ideas. Snake oil and it’s salesman are everywhere. Sifting out the truth is difficult to say the least.
Re: Supplements for insulin resistance
December 10, 2017 10:52AM
Wolfpak - Consider the Ketogenic eating plan for preventing (and reversing) insulin resistance. It's very effective and long-term, a healthy eating plan for life. Since the focus today is eating 'fat for fuel,' the typical results, if you are committed to following the plan, will manage insulin resistance and the trend toward becoming diabetic.

You're never hungry so you don't tend to snack or load up on carbs that sabotage the glucose handling mechanism.
I don't follow it to Ketosis as GeorgeN does, but find it's relatively easy since it reduces the temptation for starchy carbs. I use quite a bit of organic, expeller-pressed extra-virgin coconut oil which provides satiety and eliminates cravings.

For insulin resistance, my FM MD recommends Berberine. The one I use is by Designs for Health and includes Alpha Lipoic Acid as well. 400 mg berberine/100 mg ALA. I also use a multi-vitamin designed specifically for managing glucose and insulin... called Metabolic Synergy, also by DFH. I can send you product data sheets on both so if you are interested in seeing the technical data behind these two products, send me a PM.

The courses I've audited on this topic say that eliminating starchy carbs is the key to avoiding or reversing insulin resistance and also diabetes. You eat limited protein and the focus is on healthy fat sources. It's called "Keto" now but about 20 years ago, a similar concept was brought forth by Ron Rosedale, MD, who successfully reversed insulin resistance and diabetes in patients with his "Rosedale Diet" ... (book by that name). He managed with healthy fat and also focused on leptin resistance - the hormone produced in fat cells. His book lists all the tests one should have to determine areas that need special emphasis to regain and maintain health.

Jackie
Joe
December 10, 2017 04:58PM
Some time ago i asked a 'holistic' doctor about adopting a keto diet. She didn't seem to keen but said if i do go on it i must make sure i drink a lot of water in order to keep kidneys safe.
Isn't it a high protein diet that potentially harms kidneys - or is it both?
December 11, 2017 01:20PM
Joe - in the Afib side of the forum, check GeorgeN's comments about Ketogenic eating. You do have to be tested and naturally be sure that you have healthy kidney function... just as is recommended when using supplements such as magnesium and potassium. That said, Ketogenic eating basically is a high fat (healthy fat), very low carb - adequate protein eating plan that makes your body burn fat for fuel and significantly lowers insulin production.

The internet is loaded with info and as a start, following George's links are undoubtedly more reliable than many internet reports.

Jackie
Joe
December 11, 2017 02:55PM
thanks, Jackie!
I think she was implying that a high fat diet puts additional stress on the kidneys?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2017 04:46PM by Joe.
Joe
December 31, 2017 10:17PM
One other thing worth doing is getting base/starting values of blood factors before changing to any diet.
Even with a ketogenic diet of one has got liver enzyme that are sub efficient converting fat to ketone bodies the diet would do more harm than good.
January 01, 2018 09:50AM
Yes, Joe - definitely. Functional testing is a requisite.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login