Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bad cold-recommendations for OTC drugs

Posted by pammorgan 
Bad cold-recommendations for OTC drugs
November 07, 2017 09:47AM
Dear Forum,
I am a first grade teacher and caught a bad upper respiratory bug. I don't want to take anything that might bring on afib for my runny nose, cough and congestion. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Pam
Re: Bad cold-recommendations for OTC drugs
November 07, 2017 12:50PM
Hi Pam, am moving this thread to the General Health forum as topics not related more closely to AFIB should properly be posted in that forum. I'm a including a link to this topic in the Afibbers forum for the next week since you might not have known about our posting requests for Afibbers Forum topic range vs General Health Forum topics ry to range.

Especially now, with so many new afibbers finding our forum daily, and an increasing number signing to to start new threads, all the more I need everyone's cooperation to try and review any new threads anyone wishes to start ... before posting ... in order to not inadvertently overload Afibbers forum with topics more appropriately featured in the General Health Forum ... thanks to everyone for your consideration when choosing which forum to post new threads within.

Be well,

Shannon
November 07, 2017 09:48PM
Pam:

I have taken Benadryl without any problems---but there are some cold meds that say on the package that they can be used by people that have some heart palps or heart problems so that should be better.

Liz
November 08, 2017 05:48PM
Pam - Unfortunately, I can’t offer suggestions on what OTC cold remedies might be safe/compatible with your biochemistry as it is known that some can cause heart reactions (including Afib) in some, but not others.

Although this won’t help you right now, but because your profession gives you daily exposure to a myriad of bugs, the best overall approach is to optimize your immune system function with supplements that assist with that. Basics include knowing your vitamin D levels by a test called the 25 OH D evaluation (blood test). If you are low or even low normal, it’s best to optimize that to a level that is at least 70 and many doctors recommend closer to 100. The other is a substantial daily dose of vitamin C so that you have that defense mechanism working in your system constantly.

I worked many years as a dental hygienist so was exposed to oral aerosols and many types of bugs and I had my share of colds even though I wore a mask. Several factors increased my immune function significantly. I tested very low for vitamin D.

Much after the fact and because I was doing extensive research to learn about atrial fibrillation, I found information on a new liposomal form of vitamin C that provides an equivalency that is a much higher dose than typical vitamin C and doesn’t produce the bowel tolerance issues that are typical with high dose vitamin C usually produces. The product is from LivOn Laboratories and the science of the liposomal form of delivery is explained at this weblink: [www.livonlabs.com] - info and sort video.

I also have another ‘tool’ in my prevention/remedy kit and that’s a bottle of the true colloidal silver, aka, MesoSilver that has a long, proven history of helping to prevent and reverse the onset of colds, flu etc. I order from Purest Colloids because there are a lot of imposter products out there claiming to be the “true” nanoparticle product but are not. I use small doses regularly if ever I have an inkling that something might be brewing. I bought a large quantity and it has lasted for a very long time since, but find it comforting to know it’s there if I need it.

With the optimization of Vitamins D and C, I can happily report that it has been 17 years since I had a cold and 19 years since the flu. I am out in the public daily and at the gym where the jocks don’t worry about if they spread their bugs so don’t bother to wipe down the equipment they use.

If by chance, I ever note a sore throat or hint of a runny nose, I quickly add a couple packets of Lipo C. That never fails to stop whatever might be brewing. I would never want to travel without Lipo C.

I also have another tool in my bag of tricks that I’ve used for nearly 30 years. It’s a spray made up of essential oils by Young Living called, Theives Spray. It’s potent so only spray a tiny bit when you start it.
[www.youngliving.com]

You don’t have to be a member to order as online opportunities are everywhere. I buy a 3-pack so I never run out and keep a bottle in my car and purse as well. If I am surrounded by people who are coughing, out comes the Theives. I always spray before, during and after a plane trip or similar.
PS
In case you’re curious about the story of Thieves, and the ingredient essential oils, you can read what YL says here: [www.youngliving.com]

So, sorry I can’t offer something immediate that I know for sure would be helpful to you. If the Lipo C sounds interesting, I urge you begin using a daily amount and always have extra on hand, just in case. If you order supplements from iHerb through the Forum link or otherwise, it’s listed as LypriCell - same LivOn product – probably something to do with marketing, registered names and discounts.

Here’s a list of archived posts that discuss Liposomal Vitamin C .
[www.afibbers.org]

(PS – As an afibber, if you decide to use a non-liposomal form of vitamin C, be sure that it is not calcium ascorbate, but ascorbic acid because calcium blocks magnesium which is not what afibbers need. Nor do they need too much sodium so read labels carefully.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Jackie
November 08, 2017 08:52PM
Pam,

Read and see if this is something you would like to delve deeper into and maybe give a try.

[www.healthy-holistic-living.com]

Regards,

Larry
Joe
November 09, 2017 05:33AM
Any thoughts about yeast boosting our immune system?
[nutritionfacts.org]
November 09, 2017 06:31PM
Look into Coconut Butter.
Coconut butter has many antibacterial characteristics. That lauric acid is pretty special since it has long been known to treat viral infections, such as the flu,the common cold, cold sores, genital herpes, genital warts and more. It can even help fight bronchitis, gonorrhea, yeast infections/candida, chlamydia and ringworm.
[draxe.com]
Its actually easy to make yourself. Have not made any yet myself, but will.
Lots more on the web about using and making it yourself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 10:42PM by afibbers.
November 11, 2017 11:39AM
afibbers - that's a good suggestion. I always forget coconut oil even though I use it daily just for those reasons and more. It's always working behind the scenes to help support my immune system.

Jackie
October 16, 2018 05:02AM
I use zinc based products like coldeze. I swear by it. I will have to remember the coconut oil next time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login