Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reverse Osmosis water

Posted by NickC 
Reverse Osmosis water
July 16, 2017 07:38AM
Any knowledge here on Reverse Osmosis water filters? Quite fancy the idea of buying one to save having to keep buying spring water.

I have got a good understanding of the filtering side of it, except still not established if flushing the membrane is good or bad, but the re-mineralisation component is questionable. Some claim that re-mineralisation is an unnecessary step while others suggest it is very important, as I would think it is. However most systems only pass the water over the re-mineralisation cartridge after the storage tank and between that and the output tap. I would have thought the water would pick up more minerals if it was passed over the re-min cart at the slower flow rate before the storage tank.

One other annoyance is that none of the systems seem to have pressure gauges (or pressure difference gauges) between each filter which would allow the condition of each filter to be estimated.

Anyones thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2017 07:53AM by NickC.
Re: Reverse Osmosis water
January 01, 2018 07:39PM
Nick,

I don't have any knowledge of the technology, but I've often wondered whether water purified by reverse osmosis might have the same effects on the body (leaching of minerals, etc.) that have been warned of in connection with distilled water. For example, see this note by Jackie.

If reverse osmosis water essentially has everything removed, how is it different from distilled water?

Perhaps you or one of our other forum members has looked into this?

Thanks!

--Lance
January 03, 2018 02:44PM
Lance - Also... Reverse Osmosis does not remove fluoride...so that's a big negative. This was detailed in the fluoride post based on the interview with Dr. David Kennedy and his details about the health risks of fluoridation.

Distilled water definitely has all other elements removed and it tends to be acidic if I recall correctly...so that can be a negative as well. There are a lot of opinions on what is the better form of water and certainly avoiding treated municipal water is a good practice considering that estimates are that there are at least 300 chemicals found in a typical sample of municipal tap water... depending on the location.

Mike Adams (Health Ranger) who has the Natural News website has talked about safety of various water systems and filters and such. If you have the time, you could check out his opinions. There are many arguments about filtered water, RO water, distilled water and so forth. And then there is the issue of bottled water...which has the risk of BPA plastic bottle contamination along with the environmental hazard of the disposal issue as well.

An important consideration as the body must have optimal quantities of pure drinking water to maintain health and we can benefit from the many beneficial, natural minerals it contains.... the pollution risk, though, is now a major concern, obviously.

Jackie
Joe
January 03, 2018 03:50PM
The pH of distilled water is easy to adjust with a little bi-carb
January 04, 2018 12:01PM
Thanks, Jackie. Through the Mike Adams website, I found this interesting article: 3 Common Misconceptions About Reverse Osmosis Water Filters.

The author notes that RO systems do strip out all the minerals, but that there is a "simple remedy to this problem," namely:

Most RO systems are available with an alkaline filter. This filter acts as the last stage of the process. After healthy minerals are stripped away by the reverse osmosis membrane, calcium and magnesium are then added back at the end. This replenishes the mineral levels and means your water can taste great again.

Perhaps worth looking in to?

Thanks again, as always!

--Lance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login