Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LCHF --> High Cholesterol --> statins. Avoidable.

Posted by Ginny51 
LCHF --> High Cholesterol --> statins. Avoidable.
May 17, 2017 03:00PM
Check out:
Cholesterol Code. Reverse Engineering the Mystery.
[cholesterolcode.com]
See the full video at:
Dave Feldman - 'The Dynamic Influence of a High Fat Diet on Cholesterol Variability'
Low Carb Down Under
[www.youtube.com]

Caveat: If you're not familiar with Cronometer (or other similar databases, I guess) what I'll tell you now might prove confusing.
I've been logging my food on Cronometer since August 2016 and have these blood test numbers (in mg/100 ml):
Nov 8: Total Cholesterol 325 / LDL 246
Feb 2: Total C: 218 / LDL 136
Apr 5: Total C: 319 / LDL 223

I'm not doing keto, but moderate low carb (60-70 grs is my best achievement), but I'm forced to struggle against the long and prevailing prejudice against "high cholesterol". I can handle it personally but my latest cardiologist, a week ago, prescribed statins (for the LDL 223 and FBG 144 mg/100 ml as per American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association guidelines).
After carefully considering the video and other related presentations I decided to check my numbers on Cronometer which I had been working with precisely to bring my "high cholesterol" down to spare me the admonitions of both cardiologist and endocrinologist as I refuse to take statins.
Working on cholesterol averages from one blood test to the next I was led to think (before the video), that the daily and average Cholesterol figures in mg. were what counted. There was an apparent direct pattern. Eat less cholesterol, control it and the test produces the "right" results, even though dietary cholesterol is something like 20% or whatever.
From Nov 8 to Feb 2 I appeared to have done something right to bring down the Total C and LDL, from TC 325 to 218 and LDL from 246 to 136. The Cholesterol mg figures, averaged over that entire period, pointed to just controlling cholesterol intake, seemingly a direct relationship.
Sept 2 to Nov 7: Dietary Cholesterol avg: 688 mg --> TC 323 mg on blood test
Nov 7 to Feb 1: Dietary Cholesterol avg: 404 mg --> TC 218 mg
Feb 2 to April 4: Dietary Cholesterol avg: 682 mg --> 319 mg
That was before seeing the video and going back over the numbers.
What I *had* done was go low cholesterol and moderate low carb during the first half of that period before the Feb 2 blood test and then, because I was losing weight (I'm way too thin) I ditched the low cholesterol attempt and figured I'd just keep refusing the statins and fight my way through the ordeal with the cardiologist, preferring to try to stop losing weight. If I hadn't seen the video, and analysed my results seeing this new pattern, I'd have been caught up again in the "didn't do enough" quagmire.
After considering Feldman's position, another pattern comes up, not exactly "proof" in my case, but there is a pattern:
Nov 5, 6, 7 2016 – Avg Fat (for 3 days prior to blood test) 145 grs.
Blood Test Nov 8: Total Cholesterol 325 / LDL 246
Jan 30, 31, Feb 1 – Avg Fat 210 grs.
Blood Test Feb 2: Total C: 218 / LDL 136
Apr 2,3,4 Avg Fat 151 grs.
Blood Test Apr 5 Total C: 319 / LDL 223

I'm going to try to repeat the pattern (3 days of lots of fat prior to the blood test) next month.
By the way, this is the same counterintuitive pattern as for low carb and glucose, i.e. physiological insulin resistance. (mentioned by Kraft himself in his patterns of insulin activity).
Hope this is useful to someone else in this crazy world of "numbers" driving our daily anxious living.
ginny
Re: LCHF --> High Cholesterol --> statins. Avoidable.
May 24, 2017 01:12PM
Adding to the complexity of this issue, an interesting and nuanced view:

What to Do About High Cholesterol
March 19, 2017
Chris Masterjohn, PhD (Nutritional Sciences)
(e.g.: The four factors that control the LDL receptor)
[chrismasterjohnphd.com]
June 11, 2017 03:39PM
Hi Ginny,

Watch "A/Prof. Ken Sikaris - 'Cholesterol - When to Worry'" on YouTube
[youtu.be]
June 12, 2017 10:49AM
Hello Colindo,
Thank you! Did check it out. At the very least, this is all quite confusing.
That is, those of us who read up and watch material such as this video you're mentioning are not *that* confused, let's say, but most docs refuse to budge and at the very best concede, as I've found just this week from a top University cardiologist here in Argentina, that well ... he said, they are not "generals" in an Army giving us "orders". Sort of letting me know I can maybe "cheat", (if I find out how, of course), and get the "right" numbers on those damn tests so they leave us alone.
All the best,
ginny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2017 10:57AM by Ginny51.
July 26, 2017 02:45PM
Just an update:

How to lower your cholesterol
using diet to keep your doctor off your back
The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.
[proteinpower.com]

Caveat:
If you're doing LCHF and have prediabetes or diabetes, don't hesitate to go beyond the "low carb high fat crowd", and check out critical positions such as in:
Understanding Type 2 Diabetes
[understandingtype2diabetes.com]
Low carb high fat can affect thyroid, drop insulin too much and thus affect blood sugar (make it go up, in some cases), cortisol, etc.
Many in the LCHF crowd do not have diabetes and think it's far simpler than it really is.
HTH somebody out there.
ginny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login