Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

grains are not so bad

Posted by Elizabeth 
grains are not so bad
May 02, 2017 09:53PM
I rather agree with the following article, i was never really sold on all of this gluten free foods and that grain is so terrible:

They found those who avoided gluten typically had a lower intake of whole grains, which are known to be beneficial to cardiovascular health.

People who ate the least gluten were 15 per cent more likely to suffer from coronary heart disease than those who ate the most.

Gluten is a protein found in some grains, such as wheat, rye and barley.

But gluten-free diets have become increasingly popular among those without the disease (Celiac), with many thinking it boosts their heart health.

Now academics at Harvard Medical School, in the United States, have found no such benefit in those without the disease.

In fact, many of these “healthy” individuals actually ended up worse off because they lost the protective benefit of whole grains.

Liz

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2017 10:00PM by Elizabeth.
Re: grains are not so bad
May 08, 2017 10:00AM
Hi Elizabeth,

There are always two sides to every equation. I certainly can appreciate what the report you refer to provides. (Can't see the link though.)

But there is another side. I am gluten sensitive, but not coeliac. For the first 25 years of life nutrients in my diet were 'flushed' because I did not know. I was thin as a rake and cramping in the stomach as a teenager. (I was told it was 'stress'.) It's my belief that my health issues started with the resulting sustained depletion of nutrition. And now I'm here managing Afib by using nutrition.

There must be a sizeable number of individuals out there on a gluten free diet who may not experience what I did – 35 years of age and being pummeled daily with the beast.
Sam
May 08, 2017 11:46AM
Wheat has been a part of mankind's daily diet for millenia. However it changed dramatically in the 1960's. When I was young the plant was twice as tall as it is now. The new genetically modified version with artificial fertilizers, pesticides and overuse of the soil has much bigger changes that its height.

Dr William Davis, author of Wheat Belly says "the thing being sold to us called wheat - it ain't wheat. It's this stocky little high yield plant, a distant relative of the wheat our mothers used ... genetically and biochemically light years removed from the wheat of just 40 years ago."

The old form of wheat is still available in a number of forms. I just bought some organic Kamut for my wife who enjoys a little home baked bread. I'll take some myself at times as a treat. From what I've read most people with coeliac disease can eat this with no ill effects.

Sam
May 08, 2017 01:23PM
Hi Sam,

Interesting post, that provides avenues to explore. Might even explain why gluten free bread from the supermarket doesn't seem so great. Worth a try. Thanx!
May 08, 2017 02:31PM
I buy bread that is organically grown it is tasty and hopefully more healthful. I sometimes buy flour made from almond meal, white rice flour, hazelnut flour, coconut flour and make my own bread. The bread doesn't rise like breads made with gluten of course.

Actually most fruits and vegetables aren't like what our grandmothers ate. Corn is very different, it is now xtra sweet, corn was not as tasty as todays corn. Same with tomatoes, carrots, apples are crossed and are sweeter, larger etc. most fruit is different today. So most everything you are eating is pretty much changed, wonder what "wheat belly Davis has to say about that".

Liz
May 09, 2017 11:18AM
Organic fruit and vegetables to the rescue!

My error may have been consuming 'regular' gluten free bread while eating organic otherwise.

Everyone has something to contribute and is appreciated!

thumbs up
June 09, 2017 11:34AM
Hi Phill - An underlying issue with sensitivities to various food components, gluten being just one, is that those can cause continual systemic reactions... often very subtle, but raging behind the scenes and causing health issues that may not immediately manifest or be easily or readily identified as a culprit. One common manifestation is silent inflammation and that can occur in any part of the body.

If it's possible to find true, certified organic food, No GMO, labeled as such and grown in a country where certification actually means something and is enforced, that's one way of avoiding the pitfalls of the genetic manipulation of food or plants or seeds for one's own garden. It's certainly a challenge.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login