Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Suggestions for thinning hair, weight loss and insomnia

Posted by lmann 
Suggestions for thinning hair, weight loss and insomnia
January 08, 2017 03:51PM
I would like input from you concerning help with thinning hair. Also, any tips for weight loss. Lastly I awaken after sleeping for awhile and lie awake for hours. Help much appreciated. Lynda
Sam
Re: Suggestions for thinning hair, weight loss and insomnia
January 09, 2017 07:03AM
I'm sure you're familiar with the usual tips like cut right down on sugar and get regular, sensible exercise to lose weight.

My lesser known tip, which I've recommended to relatives with success that has really surprised them, is to cut out any foods containing gluten.

I definitely don't need to lose weight myself but I recently cut out the small amount of my wife's delicious homemade organic wheat bread (the only gluten containing food in my diet) that I ate each day after I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease.

During the next month I lost 7lbs - and my thyroid function returned to normal.

Sam
January 09, 2017 03:33PM
Thank you so much, Sam. I really appreciate your tips. They are helpful for sure. Lynda
January 09, 2017 04:14PM
Sam:

There are not that many people that are Gluten intolerant. People overdo on eating pastas and breads, I do eat a small amount of whole wheat bread most days, I am not overweight, I have never been fat. I have always been active however and that is what might be wrong with a lot of people, they don't use their muscles.

Cook whole foods from scratch, don't buy food in a can or ready to eat, they usually are full of salt or sugar, sugar is the bad guy also sat. fats and trans fats.

Imann:

There are nights that I sleep well and other nights that I lay awake, when I work hard and am tried, I sleep, so I will be interested in what advice you get.

As for Thinning hair, it seems that the older we get, our hair thins. again food is the best remedy, hair, skin needs protein. We need to eat good protein everyday, vegetarians don't get good protein and a lot of people think that eating meat is not good. I don't agree, try to get beef that is grass fed, chickens, turkey and fish, beans are all good for our hair/skin.

Liz
January 09, 2017 06:23PM
Liz, thank you so much for taking the time to add your good advice. I appreciate your input. Lynda
January 09, 2017 07:13PM
I do not know if this is relevant, but from my experience, under no circumstances apply topical minoxidil. I did for male pattern baldness and AF soon was upon me.

I don't think the minoxidil was the only cause of the AF, but it was like kerosene on a spark. After 3 months of use, on every occasion 12 hours after applying it, my heart beat so violently the association was unmistakable (and I mean violent!). I regret using it every day for the last 20 years. It should be banned.
January 10, 2017 01:56PM
Hello Sam and Lynda…

Thanks Sam sharing your tips. I’m glad your thyroid function is now normal and that you have eliminated the gluten factor culprit. When you hear webinars and read the evidence presented on this topic, it’s no wonder there are so many people affected since gluten intolerance is so very common; yet, most doctors think it only applies to Celiac patients… which is yet another problem with gluten but not typically the most prevalent one.

The inflammation factor generated by gluten sensitivity or intolerance shows up in many symptoms, including weight gain. I recently shared information published by Board Certified Functional Neurologist, David Perlmutter, MD FACN… about the importance of being gluten free from a neurological standpoint with a friend’s whose husband has Parkinson’s. He read the book, followed the recommendations and lost 20 pounds in several weeks and continues to lose and feels much better. Another friend’s husband was grossly overweight and after being tested by a practitioner of Integrative Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic, he was found to be gluten intolerant as well as dairy intolerant. He began losing weight as if a faucet were turned on and he was draining out the inflammation…. Plus he continues to feel enormously better – overall.

Dr. Perlmutter talks about the two proteins from gluten that cause intolerances…ie, glutenins and gliadins and that you can be sensitive to either or also one of twelve different, smaller units that are found in gliaden. Reactions to any of these lead to inflammation. Dr. Perlmutter writes about the damaging effects of gluten on the (gut) microbiome and the cascade of events that can occur when gluten exposure starts to impact changes in the microbiome. This includes interference with nutrient breakdown and absorption and the potential to trigger ‘alarm’ in the immune system which eventually results in damage to the lining of the intestine (Leaky gut syndrome). Eventually, this leads to elevated antibodies and then the release of what he terms, “brain-assaulting inflammatory cytokine chemicals.” This is not new information and has been described in studies for decades. It’s become more in the forefront now that Dr. Perlmutter and other functional neurologists are making the gut-brain connection in many people suffering from “neurobehavioral changes.”

Dr. Perlmutter’s books are a wealth of information as is his website…. [www.drperlmutter.com]

And Lynda - on the thinning hair issue… one factor to consider is thyroid health. As you may recall, I used Synthroid for 10 years and developed goiteroid thyroid tissue with nodules. I changed doctors and was prescribed Armour thyroid which managed most of my hypo-thyroid symptoms and all was good… hair wise. Iodine supplementation reduced the thyroid nodules. However, when I began having the Afib breakthroughs 11 years after the first ablation, my doctor said that taking the Armour wasn’t advised for people who are over 70 and also who have AF. It’s been two years since I stopped the Armour and my current complaints are weight gain and thinning hair. I’m quite sure that if I were able to resume thyroid hormone therapy, both would resolve. It would probably take longer for the hair from what I read. I certainly am happy with a peaceful heart in continual NSR….but I’m not happy with the other complications. If I find a solution, I’ll let you know.

Jackie

Phill - that's very disturbing information. I read the potential reactions in oral minoxidil - many were heart related. Glad you have posted it for a 'head's up' alert... but very sorry you suffered so significantly. Apparently, not uncommon, unfortunately.

J
January 10, 2017 04:32PM
Jackie:

Everybody is different, that is for sure---I have been taking 125 mcg. of synthroid since my thyroid was nuked in the early 1990s, I have never had any thyroid nodules from the drug. I will say that I did take Iodoral (iodine) for a few years until I started getting hives. I was told that I could take Lugols by a lady that works for Dr. Brownstein (my doc), she said she couldn't take Iodoral but could take the lugol, so i will try taking a little. I have heard good things and bad things about Armour, for one thing it is much harder to maintain your thyroid hormone levels. Since you are off Armour do you take Iodoral as well?

Sugar, sat. fats are not good, people eat way too much white flour products, we need more fresh fruits and veggies, good quality protein, beans are also good, a few years ago eggs were supposed to be bad as were fats, now good fats and eggs are great. I really don't pay a lot of attention to some of these gurus, I remember some of the past, they didn't live any longer with their diets. If one is having certain health problems than trying some of these diets would be helpful.

Liz
January 10, 2017 06:30PM
Hi Liz - Happy New Year!

First, since you no longer have a functional thyroid, you wouldn't develop nodules. In my case, the nodules came from the ineffectiveness (for me) of the synthetic Synthroid since it is only T4 and some people can't convert T4 to T3, the active hormone. Apparently, I was one because my whole thyroid panel normalized once I switched to Armour a very long time ago after the nodules were first detected. Currently, Armour is said to have a some of formulation issues, so many naturopaths and functional doctors are now recommending Nature-Throid [www.stopthethyroidmadness.com]

Regarding iodine: Some years ago, I had the iodine loading test to determine if I was deficient. Result was that I was slightly low so I began taking an Iodine Complex – 5 mg molecular iodine, 5 mg sodium iodide and 2.5 mg potassium iodide = total 12.5 mg. I started with one every other day to be sure it didn’t bother my heart… then increased to 1 every day and did that for a while and then used lower dose ....total 6.25 mg… same elements. Then I had another ultrasound of the thyroid… probably 6 mos later and some of the nodules had shrunk and a couple actually disappeared. (The endocrinologist was amazed. I told her I’d been using Iodine supplements and she still didn’t buy it… but said.. keep up the good work.) I no longer see the endocrinologist, but she orders the annual thyroid ultrasound to monitor the nodules because they tend to turn malignant with time. That was probably 10 years ago so I'm pleased to be stable in that regard, thanks to the iodine.

You may recall, I live in NE Ohio - part of the Great Lakes Region included in "the Goiter belt" so it's not uncommon to see a lot of thyroid problems. It's just unfortunate that even now so few remain clueless about the importance of iodine as thyroid support.

My diet is mostly Paleo, healthy fats (ala Mark Hyman), limited carbs, and gluten free.

Be well,
Jackie
January 10, 2017 06:53PM
Jackie, as always I value your input. I do believe the Thyroid could be the issue. I was given 3 13 minute radium treatments for massive adenoids, unable to remove all of them with surgery, third grade. I was told my Thyroid is on the small side, possibly due to the radium. I also was told years ago, I had nodules on my Thyroid. Have not had them checked in a while. Good to hear from all and thank you for your input. Lynda
January 10, 2017 08:22PM
Jackie:

Happy New Year.
I may still have a functional thyroid, albeit small, I have taken 125 mcgs. of Synthroid for most of the years since my thyroid was nuked. I think I would probably have to take a greater amount of thyroid meds if my thyroid was completely non-functional.. Didn't know that one would not develop thyroid nodules if they did not have a functional thyroid, how about if I still have some function?

I live in Michigan, we of course are included in the goiter belt. Shock can also throw one into a thyroid storm, after the death of my son I became Hyper thyroid (graves disease), my father as well had graves disease.

Mark Hyman's diet is pretty good, I believe in food as your medicine.

Liz
January 11, 2017 09:32AM
Liz - Sorry - I thought I remembered that your thyroid was totally nuked. Glad you are doing so well with the small dose of Synthroid.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login