Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fish Oil Supplements: To Take or Not To Take?

Posted by tvanslooten 
Fish Oil Supplements: To Take or Not To Take?
November 30, 2016 09:23PM
I've been taking 3 grams of fish oil per day for several years now. I've been taking them so long that I forgot why I even started taking them. I read something a long time ago that it was good for you so I started taking it.

At any rate, I haven't kept up on the research but is it still a good idea to take these "higher" levels of fish oils every day? I thought I heard about a study that came out last year or the year before that fish oil supplements cause prostate cancer but if I recall it was proven to be a sham study.

As an an otherwise healthy afibber who hasn't had afib since his successful ablation back in March 2015, and consequently isn't on any medications, are fish oil supplements still a good thing to take every day? And is 3 grams per day too much?

That study that said fish oil supplements cause prostate cancer has me concerned so now I'm starting to question whether it's a good idea to even be taking these.

Travis
Re: Fish Oil Supplements: To Take or Not To Take?
December 02, 2016 03:58PM
Travis - Mark Hyman, MD, who is Chairman of the Institute for Functional Medicine and also is now the Medical Director for the Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine, wrote a report on this topic.

[drhyman.com]

When choosing an Omega 3, I always make sure it's free from heavy metal contamination (known to cause health issues) that may be in some brands that are less costly and also have less attention given to the sources for the fish used.... Reliable brands such as Nordic Naturals, Carlson's and the professional grade products from suppliers such as Metagenics, Designs for Health, ProThera to name a few.

Jackie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2016 11:12AM by Jackie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login