Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what to do if you wake up in middle of night

Posted by alexe 
what to do if you wake up in middle of night
October 17, 2015 05:02PM
You haven't had any obvious precipitating causes.

No late large meals,alcohol, coffee,excitement,big noises,nightmares etc.You have been sensible !

what do you do ?

Read ,eat a little of something[suggestions please] etc.

Any suggestions of any kind please .

Thanks

Alex
Re: what to do if you wake up in middle of night
October 18, 2015 10:35AM
Hi Alex - It's often said that when you wake up in the middle of the night and are unable to go back to sleep, one cause can be hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. When blood glucose goes too low, the body goes into alert (adrenaline response) because it's the job of the body to protect the brain... which needs glucose to function. So.. the awakening is a stimulus to do something that adds glucose quickly.

One of my early holistic MDs also tended to become hypoglycemic during sleep and he always talked about his solution which was to keep a container of yogurt on the nightstand to eat immediately when he did wake up. The yogurt can be left unrefrigerated for a while so he felt it was a safe way to get in a fairly well-balanced food with carbs, fat, and protein. That practice enabled him to get back to sleep so that he was functional for work the next day.

The other suggestion he offered was to eat a balanced snack ..carbs, protein and fat... 2 hours before bedtime...rather than making your last intake of food around 6 or 7 in the evening. He felt that fast metabolizers ran out of blood glucose too quickly and that stimulated the awakening because of the adrenaline surge. That was the approach I used to overcome adrenal burnout and nocturnal hypoglycemic episodes which also triggered my AF events until I got the hypoglycemia under control.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login