Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stent and Blood Thinners

Posted by spekkles 
Stent and Blood Thinners
July 19, 2015 04:48AM
My husband is going in for an angiogram this afternoon and if they find a blockage they will put in a stent.
He was told by his cardiologist that he would be on Plavix and Aspirin...and then go off the Plavix and only use Aspirin. My husband told him that he is allergic to Aspirin. The cardiologist replied that he would then have to be on Plavix for life. Does one have to be on blood thinners for life with a stent?
To me there is a big difference being on Aspirin for life than being on Plavix for life.
Could anyone please tell me if there are any alternatives to Plavix, seeing my husband is allergic to Aspirin.
Many thanks
Spekkles
Re: Stent and Blood Thinners
September 16, 2017 06:47AM
Dual antiplatelet therapy (DAPT), which includes both aspirin and a second blood thinner, is recommended for nearly all patients after receiving a stent. This drug regimen helps prevent clots from forming around the device and reduces risk for future heart events. But since blood thinners increase risk of bleeding, some patients stop therapy earlier than others to prevent complications. Exactly how long patients should continue dual blood thinners after stent implantation is unclear.
ref: best essay help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login