Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Colonoscopy

Posted by mwcf 
Colonoscopy
June 22, 2015 05:20PM
Last couple of months my only 'symptoms' as mentioned as an aside last week to my GP here in the UK have been the odd occasional few days every couple of weeks when 1 normal BM has been followed in next hour by 1 or 2 more smaller looser BMs. No persistent C or D and no other warning flag symptoms such as blood or abdominal pain. I've had a nervous stomach linked to longstanding GAD for many many years. I also had some bad gout at Xmas and recently upped the allopurinol to 400mg/day. I also take 30mg lansaprazole that unlike omeprazole inhibits receptors not just in the stomach but also the colon leading to micro-ulcerative colitis.
Given I'm a 54-year old male he unsurprisingly wants me to get scoped and his preferred option is colonoscopy.
I've read around this a LOT this last few days and am instead leaning towards FOBTesting and/or flexi-sigmoidoscopy.
My opinion FWIW is that the drive towards colonoscopies is coming over to the UK from the U.S. where pursuit of the almighty dollar is as always leading the charge. All my research indicates that any small medium to long term statistical gain from colonoscopies is cancelled by the risks associated with the highly invasive procedure not to say the prep.
Any views guys and gals??
Thanks,
Mike F.
Re: Colonoscopy
June 22, 2015 08:52PM
Hi Mike - Good to see you posting. A couple of reminders on colon health and prevention.

Here in the US, we have a test called Hemoccult...which is a home collection kit of stool sample that is analyzed for occult blood...that isn't visible in the toilet bowl. That's typically the first step in determining if there is a concern in the colon.

Blood can come from a variety of sources, ultimately, of course can be an indication of malignancy, polyps, hemorrhoids or colitis. If blood is present, then the next step is colonoscopy. If you have that available, I'd opt for that first. It is invasive and after having a number of colonoscopies over the years because my initial scope revealed some benign polyps which were removed, I'd check out the practitioner with the most experience to avoid any potential risks. I've never found it to be a painful or nerve-wracking procedure. Still, it pays to be aware.

Typically, the warning is to watch for changes in bowel habits as an indicator of a potential problem so I think you're smart to look into your options.

If you do the colonoscopy, remember that we recommend the cleanout prep one that spares the electrolytes...it's not as convenient but it beats going into Afib because you lose electrolytes during the cleanout.

Best to you,
Jackie
July 07, 2015 04:30PM
Hi Jackie,
Thanks for the response and hope you are well.
Had the colonoscopy - no sedative and not even any gas and air....at which the staff were amazed! - and it was all fairly normal except for one 3mm polyp that was removed and that later tested as being benign. That single polyp does, however, mean a colonoscopy for me every five years from now on. The prep is way worse as a hassle than the procedure itself, but actually glad to now have the advantage of 5-yearly testing for what is the biggest cancer risk in the non-smoking population.
Kind regards,
Mike
July 08, 2015 10:45AM
Hi Mike - Well, that's why the colonoscopies are important. I had a couple polyps removed initially and never any after that but the routine followups annually for 5 years and then spaced out after that. Very important screening. A friend who is now 70 didn't go routinely and when she finally did, they found colon cancer that was removed, but the ensuing chemotherapy and such have caused her endless complications and compromised her health severely.

I agree, the clean-out procedure is the worst...and afibbers need to use the electrolyte-sparing prep to avoid going into arrhythmia.

Glad that's over and you can continue on in good health.

Best to you,
Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login