Posted by alexe 
Vit D level confusion
June 10, 2015 07:08PM
Gentlefolk,

Who should we believe ?

Alex

From Consumerlab.

''Arthur5764 June 10, 2015
Check with Vitamin D Council.org - optimal levels of vit d3 have been shown in multiple studies to be over 40 ng/ml. I have been prescribing 2-5k IU vitamin d3 gel caps/day for over 10 years now to 100's of patients. I have only had 1 patient have side effects (high calcium and general malaise) in all this time.

A C Sands MD

Comment on Post

ConsumerLab.com June 10, 2015

Dear Dr. Sands - Studies do not show optimal levels to be over 40 ng/mL, as you suggest. We recommend that you review the information in the section of our Vitamin D Review entitled "Deficiency vs. Insufficiency and How Much Is Too Much?" (https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews//Vitamin_D/#howmuch).

You may not see immediate adverse effects with high levels, but several studies now show higher mortality rates (i.e., more deaths) among people with levels above 40 ng/mL. The range we suggest of 25 to 35 ng/mL should provide the benefits of vitamin D without risk. We also suggest that you check the unbiased and authoritative opinion of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, which considers 20 ng/mL adequate for bone and overall health in healthy individuals
Re: Vit D level confusion
June 11, 2015 08:22AM
Alex - Consumer Labs often offers information that don't mesh with clinical experiences of those practicing functional or restorative medicine find in their patient populations that indicate successful treatment.

The 40 ng/mL figure is too low. Ideally, it will be between 50 ng/mL minimum - to 70 ng/mL. My doctor likes patients between 60 and 70. I feel best if my level is 70.

The chart typically referenced is this one... at this link... scroll down [www.mercola.com] it's bright aqua color. You can't miss it.

The very last text box in the report has the titles hyperlinked if you just click on each one, you'll find more great, reliable information.

Check this link as well.. Dr. Cannell of the Vitamin D Council. [www.viddler.com]

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login