Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alkalinity, Healing, pH and Voltage - The Inside Story

Posted by Jackie 
Alkalinity, Healing, pH and Voltage - The Inside Story
April 26, 2012 02:24PM
Alkalinity, Healing, pH and Voltage – The Inside Story

Healing equates to the proper pH which is synonymous with proper voltage.

These are the clinical observations of Jerry Tennant, MD author of Healing is Voltage, whose remarkable personal healing story is worth noting because we can all take a lesson from his journey back to health. Most importantly, we can apply his principles to conditions that set the stage for LAF. This is the ultimate in Energy Healing.

Dr. Tennant graduated from high school at age 16 by finishing his junior and senior years simultaneously in 1957. He finished college (except for three hours credit) in 2 1/2 years at Texas Tech University and was awarded the Phi Kappa Phi and Pre-med-of-the-Year Award.

He attended the University of Houston, School of Optometry and was accepted into the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in 1960 at age 19. He graduated in the top ten of his class in 1964 with an MD degree. Dr. Tennant interned at Methodist Hospital of Dallas and then completed a residency in ophthalmology at Parkland Hospital in Dallas and Harvard/Mass Eye and Ear in Boston. He is also a fellow of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Dr. Tennant was director of the Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery Clinic at Parkland Hospital/Southwestern Medical School and founded the Dallas Eye Institute. His practice in Irving, Texas at the Tennant Institute is thriving.

He holds patents on surgical instruments, intraocular lenses and other devices and has written books on cataract surgery, life-style management, and Integrative Medicine. With the assistance of his anesthesiologist, Monte Hellman, MD and his internist, Javier Ramirez, MD, Dr. Tennant developed and refined the techniques to allow eye surgery to be safely performed in an outpatient setting instead of a hospital.

You may wonder why an ophthalmologist would be talking about voltage and cell health. His story is that early in his career and while working on an FDA study for laser eye procedures, he was struck down and rendered incapacitated as a result of viruses harbored in the cornea and lenses of patients which were released in the laser vapor which then traveled through his surgical mask and into his brain causing encephalitis, neuropathies and spleen dysfunction. For 7 years, he slept over 16 hours a day and had limited memory. Doctors had no solutions.

Dr. Tennant’s brain ran between -2 and 4 millivolts instead of the normal minus 25 mV. In the limited hours he was able to focus, learn and remember, he decided to begin with the basics of cell biology and studied medical text books in an attempt to cure himself.

What he learned and began to practice not only offered his own cure, but has allowed him to perform many remarkable cures by measuring patients’ voltage and increasing it when found to be insufficient to sustain health.

The following clips from an interview with Dr. Tennant are lengthy, but well worth the read because this speaks to the topic of voltage, alkalinity, cellular energy, influences on AF and general, overall-health. Most of the points are found in his handbook, Healing is Voltage.

Especially meaningful to afibbers is his observation about hypothyroidism and its connection to overall health and function as we know hypothyroid symptoms often contribute to Afib. Since hypothyroidism equates to low voltage, then it’s obviously influencing heart function.

The alkaline water segment is a repeat from segment in the WW historical account posted by Erling 4/13/2012. It’s worth re-emphasizing because of the efficacy for afibbers and because of the ease and affordability.

Jackie

CONTENTS

I Cells and Voltage requirements
II Hypothyroidism
III Adrenals
IV Stomach Acid –The Importance of
V Alkaline water
VI GERD symptoms
VII Infected Teeth, Root Canal Treatments, Dental Implants
VIII Biomodulator
IX Autoimmune Disorders
X Age-Related Macular Degeneration

February 2012 Interview Quotes and paraphrases

All chronic illness is defined by having low voltage and by the ability to make new cells that work. If we have inadequate exercise so muscles are running at low voltage, we drink only electron stealers such as coffee, black tea (not green tea), alcohol and acidic water, we are basically going to go around with low voltage and not be able to make new cells. Jerry Tennant, MD

Cells are 70% water.

Cells run in a narrow pH range 7.35 – 7.45 or -20 mV to -25 mV. pH is a measurement of voltage in a solution

We can only get well and stay well by making new cells. Illness is a manifestation of the inability to make new cells that work. To make new cells, -50 mV are required.

When your voltage is low and you can’t get up to -50 mV, then you are stuck in chronic disease… because the only way you can get well is to make the cells to replace those that are destroyed by various forms of injury. If you can’t make new cells (which you can’t if you can’t get to -50 mV), then whatever part or organ that is damaged will never work right.

An acidic environment (low pH) invites disease states.

At a voltage of minus 15 mV or cell pH of 7.26, patients will be tired. At minus 10 mV (7.18 cell pH), they are sick. Cancer occurs at +30 mV or cell pH of 6.48) At a pH of slightly above 7.4 (salivary pH 6.5), cancer cells become dormant and at a pH of 8.5 (salivary pH 7.8), cancer cells die while healthy cells live). The higher the pH reading, the more alkaline and oxygen-rich, the fluid.

Moderator: What impedes someone from achieving that negative 50 mV and have healing?

A. Requirements to make new cells
1. Voltage
2. Raw materials: proteins (amino acids), fats, vitamins and minerals to make it all work.

Thyroid Hormone Controls Voltage
The most important controller of voltage is thyroid hormone. If you measure the voltage of every organ and all are low, then that is hypothyroidism until proven otherwise. With inadequate amounts of thyroid hormone, the entire system runs at low voltage; so often, healing cannot occur.

Hypothyroidism
A variety of problems exist with the diagnosis of hypothyroidism.

TSH testing
It’s important to follow the 2003 Amer. Academy of Clinical Endocrinology revised guidelines that state a TSH should be 0.3 -2.0. Higher than that means you are hypothyroid regardless of a lab stating that a normal thyroid TSH can be as high as 4.6. Ideally, people should be below 1.0.

T4 to T3 Conversion
TSH is primarily controlled by T4 but if your body is unable to convert it to the biologically active form (T3), TSH can get progressively higher. The conversion from T4 to T3 is complicated and requires iodine, selenium, zinc, iron, progesterone, cortisol, glutathione, and (a great surprise), also requires hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is one of the major cell modifiers in the entire body but it’s required to convert T4 to T3 (required by the deiodinase enzymes). If you can’t make hydrogen peroxide, the thyroid doesn’t work. The major source of hydrogen peroxide is vitamin C. Humans (along with primates and guinea pigs can’t make their own vitamin C.).

Interferences for thyroid hormone production
If people don’t take in enough vitamin C, they can’t make hydrogen peroxide and their thyroid doesn’t work well.

Iodine…90% of the population is iodine deficient because there is essentially none left in the food supply and what’s in table salt is about 1/1000th of what we need; 80% of the population is deficient in zinc.

Anyone that doesn’t have stomach acid will be deficient in glutathione because you can’t make the amino acids needed to make glutathione and so on.

Many, many people have trouble converting T4 to T3 and so may have a normal TSH and a normal T4, but they are still hypothyroid.

Fluoride is another problem. Fluoride and iodine are both halogens and since fluoride competes with iodine, anytime you have an atom anywhere near any other halogen, the fluoride will push that halogen out of the way and take its place so you end up with T4 that should be an amino acid with four iodines on it and instead it has 4 fluorides. It should show up in the blood test but it doesn’t work that way. The same with T3, of course. Nearly everyone in the country consumes some form or other of fluoride.

Low body temperature is often a symptom of low thyroid function, but a vitamin A deficiency also can cause low basal body temperature.

Thyroid/Adrenal Connection
I see patients every week where the docs put them on a fairly large dose of thyroid hormones but have completely ignored the fact that their adrenals are shot and then patients often feel worse and worse as the dose is increased. You have to bring the adrenals along at the same time.

To make adrenaline, Tyrosine, Vitamin C and Vitamin B6 are required.

Moderator: This is the medullary side of adrenal function and production of catecholeamines – if that isn’t addressed, you’re missing half the story. Salivary cortisol tests are not the whole picture. Ginseng and Rhodiola are more stimulating but then some patients have compensatory catecholamine upregulation - they are in a hypervigilent state – like IBS patients, fibromyalgia patients. If you look at their VMA or HVA and organic acids and metabolites of the catecholamines – they are just blowing out of their system and often times they make people worse. If you have someone with flatline low cortisol and maybe chronic fatigue with just low catecholamines and you do things that are sort of uplifting, they feel better but these other patients, unless you are looking at what’s going on with catecholamines, you can make them a lot worse and give them more anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, so you must look at both sides of the adrenal gland function if you really want to know the whole story and the right intervention technique to use. I also agree with the thyroid component…if the adrenal function is not right, the thyroid is not going to be right – they are in a delicate dance and you can’t treat one and not consider the other.

Moderator: Is thyroid hormone the only governor or regulator of cellular voltage phenomena or are there other things that come into play? I would assume there are others. Can you elaborate?

A. There are others…one has to do with water. Since the cells are 70% water, then how much alkaline water is available to that person makes a big difference in what’s going on with the voltage.

The majority of things people drink in this country are electron stealers rather than electron donors. People underestimate the power of alkaline water.

But if the person has what you mention, it’s because the voltage in the stomach is too low. Why? Well, either you are hypothyroid and all of the other organs are then low in voltage so you have to fix that… or you have an infected tooth that correlates to the stomach meridian.

Stomach Acid – The importance of
Stomach acid is also important and is another influence of what’s going on in the body since it affects the voltage and many other things as well.

All chronic illness is defined by having low voltage and by the ability to make new cells that work. So if we have inadequate exercise so muscles are running at low voltage, we drink only electron stealers such as coffee, black tea (not green tea), alcohol, and acidic water we are basically going to go around with low voltage and not be able to make new cells.

It’s my opinion that no one can be well if they don’t have adequate stomach acid. Several reasons for that… one is the fact that the human body is designed to never, ever absorb proteins. You must only absorb amino acids.

The system is designed so that when you eat a protein, stomach acid is supposed to break it down to amino acids which get absorbed and go downstream where you make your own proteins. This is important because it’s the only way that your immune system knows what ‘you’ and what is something that will hurt you. The thymus gland (behind the sternum) contains the data base of all the proteins that make up ‘you.”

When you make white blood cells, they go through the thymus and the data base gets downloaded into the white cells which are on patrol checking for outsider protein… they check the data base to see if it’s ‘you’. When a protein is found that is not in the data base, it is viewed as harmful and the white cell calls up the immune troops which build antibodies to destroy that protein and if it can’t destroy it, it stuffs it into fat cells.

If you eat a protein and you don’t have enough stomach acid to break it into amino acids and the whole protein goes downstream and is absorbed, you now become allergic to everything you eat and after meal, you have a mini case of the flu going on as your immune system attacks what it thinks is harmful proteins there to hurt you. So having all that immune system constantly working is obviously a problem.

Another point on stomach acid. … Alkaline Water
People don’t often understand what happens when you drink alkaline water. They say,” If I drink alkaline water, it will just dilute my stomach acid and make my digestion worse,” but that’s not the way it works at all.

Whenever anything goes into the stomach, if you have the ability to make adequate amounts of stomach acid, your stomach acid will go to a pH of 2. So if I put alkaline water in my stomach, I’m going to make a whole lot more stomach acid in order to get down to the pH of 2.

It’s important to recognize that every time you make a molecule of hydrochloric acid, you simultaneously put a molecule of sodium bicarbonate out into the blood and that’s the way that the blood gets more alkaline and has more electrons.

If I put a coca cola in my stomach, then I don’t have to make as much hydrochloric acid to get to a pH of 2 and therefore I get less sodium bicarbonate inserted into my blood (less alkalinity). This is one of the reasons why it’s important to drink the alkaline water.

Q. You are talking about the Kangen units that make alkaline water? You think they are beneficial for most individuals?

A. Absolutely. Drinking alkaline water is one of the great ways to raise your voltage since the cells are 70% water so you need the water plus you need the voltage because the switch that opens the channel in a cell membrane that allows water to go in is controlled by voltage.

If you do a BIA on them (Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis), you’ll find often times they have excess total body water, excess extracellular water, but they are intracellularly dehydrated because they don’t have the voltage to open the switch to let the water in.

That’s why people who have low voltage hate to drink water because they are already water-logged so they feel worse when they drink more water. All people with low voltage have that same problem.

Q/A
Q When you talk about alkaline water, could you specify what pH you are talking about? I hear people using pHs that sound alarming to me like 9 or 10. I have tested pHs of water myself and I’ve never found a natural water that is above 7.5?

A. The advantage of the ability to measure the voltage tells you what’s going on. So if every single one of your bioterminals measured 5, I might really want to give you water with a pH of 9 to 10 for a short period of time and get as much voltage into you as I can. But as your voltage starts to normalize, if I keep giving you water that is that high in electron donor, pretty soon, I’m going to have your voltage too high because the body doesn’t like to run at high voltage any better than it does at low voltage. Just like your refrigerator, if I put 160 volts into it instead of 110, I’ll probably burn it up, won’t I?

So you are absolutely right that one needs to be able to monitor the body’s voltage so that you do not over-do it with the really high pH.

I remember a woman and her son who came in to my office who had self-adjusted their thyroids and every voltage I measured was over 50 mV and they felt terrible of course and were anxious all the time and had tachycardia. So again, I mention that you need the ability to measure and use it as a guide as to what is needed.

Q. So if someone is relatively healthy, what would be the pH that you would recommend for water for them?

A. Well, again, the body is designed to run at a pH of 7.3 – 7.4 so water that is just slightly above that – say you gave them 7.5 or even 8.0 will help maintain at the normal voltage. But the people who are running at the really low voltage are the ones that are incredibly helped by giving it higher. But, if you measure the voltage of most bottled water from the grocery store, often it will be running down in the area of 5.0 or so every time you drink it, it’s stealing electrons and you have to make those up from some place else.

GERD Symptoms and Stomach Acid
Moderator: So then for all the people on PPIs and acid reducers – this is a potentially a big driver of chronic illness so what would be your approach to deal with someone who seems to overtly have excess stomach acid production clinical reflux disease. How do you deal with that?

A. Consider… if you eat something that doesn’t belong in your stomach, like spoiled milk, you would likely throw it back up, (because your body recognizes it doesn’t belong down there). The same thing happens when you eat protein and you don’t digest it… your body has that same kind of vomiting reflex – body says – don’t send that whole protein down here so there is a little bit of vomiting reflex which gets the stomach acid up into the esophagus where it burns and you say., Oh oh, indigestion - you belch and taste stomach acid and say Oh I’ve got too much stomach acid. Where in reality, you have too little. The whole process gets started because you don’t have enough stomach acid to digest proteins adequately.

Another piece of that puzzle is that when stomach acid hits the small intestine, the small intestine goes to a pH of 8 and does it by just the reverse and it injects sodium bicarbonate into the small intestine to raise the pH but it simultaneously injects hydrochloric acid into the pancreas.

So if you put some sodium bicarbonate in when you made stomach acid and it’s sitting there to neutralize and all is good, but if you don’t, then your pancreas becomes unhappy because it is getting all that acid..

Additionally, when stomach acid hits the small intestine it causes the pancreas to put out six different hormones but the switch that makes that happen is stomach acid which is the voltage. One of the hormones goes up and tells the esophagus sphincter to clamp down and hold the stomach acid down and not let it up into the esophagus. So again, without stomach acid to flip the switch, the esophagus stays open

Also one of hormones the pancreas makes is cholecystokinin which tells the liver to make bile and tells the gall bladder to squirt some bile into the small intestine to allow fat breakdown and absorption. Without cholecystokinin, you don’t have bile. And without fat absorption, you can’t make cell membranes so you can’t keep any organ well because all of the cells are made of fat, but the liver is 4.6 pounds of fat; your brain is about 1.5 -2 pounds of fat. All your endocrine system is made of fat. And so it goes…

You don’t have fat to keep your body well. So again it comes back to the fact that you simply can’t be well if you don’t have adequate stomach acid.

You can’t absorb zinc without stomach acid. Without zinc, you can’t make neurochemicals like serotonin and dopamine. So people who are on proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are essentially guaranteed to become depressed.

I believe the lack of stomach acid is one of the major causes of illness in our country.

Moderator: Well, everyone in integrative medicine has been thinking that reflux is really because of too little stomach acid…and they put patients on betaine HCl and digestive enzymes that contain HCl and the patient gets worse. Is it just because they are irritating a gastritis or what? They still have the reflux issue?

A. There are some mistakes that are made: First, take the betaine after a few bites of the meal…not before on an empty stomach because that can cause discomfort. You can also do the same thing with apple cider vinegar.

Infected Teeth
Probably 70% of the people I see in my clinic are ill because of their teeth because of infections in the tooth, itself.

Every tooth is wired into an acupuncture meridian. The types of bugs (bacterial and fungal) that feed on a tooth put out severe toxins which go down the acupuncture meridian and lower the voltage in the corresponding meridian. So if you have an infection or decay under a filling or a crown, or even worse, you have a root canal in that tooth, in the spleen/stomach meridian, then your stomach will never be able to function because the voltage is too low for any of the systems to work..

Using the simple volt meter, you can figure out the measurement in millivolts if there is metal in the tooth. If your reading is over 100 then you are about 99.9% sure that thee is decay under that metal.

Moderator: If there is a scenario like that, a lot of people have large old amalgams with very little tooth structure left – like an amalgam with four corners sticking up and the tooth is in such bad shape, they get an infection under it and the dentist tells them they need a root canal.

We know that root canals, if we follow your line of thinking, with the connections to the meridians, to the organs and all of that downstream, what is the person to do that really has a serious infection with significant discomfort? Do they get a root canal? Extract the tooth? And if they do, do they get an implant? Or not… what’s your recommendation. It’s a difficult situation for the patient.

A. It is my opinion that the main thing is to get the infection out of your mouth, because if you’ve got infection in your mouth, it’s going to take you down. Whether the infection is under a filling or crown or in a root canal, the dentist must do whatever it takes to get rid of the infection.

A root canal is a dead tooth. The procedure removes the blood vessel and nerve to the tooth to render it dead, but you don’t really get the whole thing because the blood vessel and nerve are still attached at the tip of the root so there still is a connection to the vascular and nervous system. The problem is that dentists are the only physicians who think they can leave dead tissue in the body and get away with it. I challenge you to find any other specialty that believes that. If your big toe dies and you don’t amputate it, you will die from gangrene. If your appendix dies and you don’t remove it, you will die from peritonitis. If you have a root canal, it’s going to kill you – it just takes longer. I have some personal experience with this. I had a root canal in tooth #14 which is in the spleen meridian and my platelet count went down to between 30 and 40,000 because my spleen was killing all my platelets. When I had that root canal treated tooth pulled, within 48 hours, my platelet count was normal and has been normal ever since.

Q. So no doubt in your mind, extraction is best?

A. It’s my opinion that the root canal is one of the worst things that has ever happened to mankind. The dentist who invented the root canal treatment, George Meinig, spent the last year of his career trying to get dentists to quit doing them and wrote the book that everyone should read…The Root Canal Coverup. At the U. of Ky, they did studies where they showed that the gliotoxins from one root canal shuts down 63% of your immune system.

Cancer and Root Canals
I did a little study with only 20 patients so it’s not big enough group about which to make definitive statements, but I went to an friend’s office who is an oncologist in the Phoenix area and we looked at 20 cancer patients and we found that 70% of those 20 had a root canal in the same acupuncture meridian as their primary cancer and 30% had an infected crown in the same acupuncture meridian as their primary cancer..

So in my practice, I’ve only seen one breast cancer where there wasn’t an infected tooth including a root canal and the spleen/stomach on the same side as the breast cancer. And I’ve only seen three cancer patients of any kind that I couldn’t identify an infection in their same acupuncture meridian as their primary cancer. So – does that prove it? No, but the more cases that you gather, the more you realize there certainly is a contributing factor.

Q. If a person has the extraction, how do they deal with the cosmetic issue… the gap and the tooth migration… what is your thought on the implants?

A. It depends on whether or not the infection went out into the bone. The problem with root canals is that the infection always, over time, migrates out into the bone. So when you have a root canal treated tooth pulled, you have to be sure that you have a dentist who will not just pull the tooth but will go down into the extraction site with a curette and remove any soft bone that contains the infection as well.

Dental Implants
If you don’t have infected bone, then you can put in an implant, but if there is infected bone, now the hole is too big so there is nothing to screw in the implant which either requires a bone graft which has been done for a long time or use the bone growth factors, that whole area heals rapidly in a matter of weeks- then you can anchor the implant screw into the new bone.

If you can’t do an implant, then you can do a bridge.

With implants… remember that titanium is electron stealer so if you use a titanium screw, it will lower the voltage around the screw and thus they eventually become infected around the titanium screw.

Zirconium implants are carbon which is neutral and it doesn’t lower the voltage in the bone so are not prone to infection.

Biomodulator
Moderator: Talk about the Biomodulator…It both scans for voltage in the meridians and can be used to put electrons back as a therapeutic intervention.

A. A variety of methods have been developed to measure voltage. Nagatani was the first with Voll the following year - two primary methods.

I personally use the measurement mode in my Biomodulator which is about the size of a computer mouse that has electrodes on the back and controls on the front so you can simply put it in your measurement mode and tap into the appropriate wire and measure what’s at the other end of it. and then if you like, you can switch into the therapy mode and deliver electrons through that same wire (meridian) and watch the voltage rise in that organ.

The ability to measure voltage in organs has been a great improvement for me to figure out what is going on and a specific cause.

Voltage drops before labs go South and labs get bad before people have symptoms so the voltage is the early warning sign telling you that something is about to go bad if it hasn’t already because you don’t have the ability to make new cells in that system.

Remember that chronic pain is simply a symptom of low voltage. And of course, if the voltage is low, you can’t make cells so you are stuck there but it’s important to recognize that chronic pain is simply a symptom of low voltage so if you insert enough electrons and bring the voltage up to 25 mV, it will quit hurting. Of course, it will start hurting again if you don’t get up to -50 mV so you can make new cells out and actually heal the area.

There is a spot in the front and back of the skull, the neck the chest the abdomen and pelvis that provide all the voltage that is necessary for all the organs in those regions. So you put the Biomodulator into the ‘read voltage’ mode and press it on those spots and it gives the voltage reading. It takes about 15 minutes to teach people where those spots are and then it’s a matter of quickly going and measuring and then you know which organs are in trouble. Then switch it into the therapy mode and start inserting electrons – the frequency sets and the pattern of the signal is imperative that it is designed to transfer electrons to cell membranes because standard TENS machines and Sine Waves don’t’ do that well. Once measured and you start the process for putting electrons in, you ask the question, Why did this particular bioterminal have low voltage…so that you can fix it so it doesn’t keep happening. So again, many times those terminals have low voltage because of a dental problem or if all of them are low, it’s generally because you are hypothyroid and/or don’t drink alkaline water, etc.

Q. When you do use the Biomodulator to introduce more voltage, do you get any lasting change – doing it in one or two or three clinical interventions or is it something the person has to do home therapy with a unit – I know it probably varies depending on the reason

A. First of all, remember your body is a rechargeable battery. But rechargeable batteries sometimes have trouble maintaining their charge.

So it’s a little like your checking and savings account. It depends on how much money you put into the bank and how much you transfer over to savings which is sorta like the voltage in your muscle and how many checks you are writing. So if I’ve got 5 root canals in my head, they are sucking up an enormous amount of voltage which means I’m writing a whole bunch of checks and it’s very difficult to deposit enough money which means – eat enough food, drink enough alkaline water, have enough thyroid function etc to overcome that enormous demand for electrons.

When you start looking at things through ‘voltage eyes’ and the cells’ eyes, you can do things that are considered impossible.

For example – in my field of ophthalmology, I can now predictably reverse macular degeneration and lower pressures in glaucoma and get rid of uvitis, etc with this approach of voltage and nutrition. Basically everyone says that can’t be done, but I do it every day.

Autoimmune Disorders
I don’t believe there is such a thing as auto-immune disease.
If you look at what happens when voltage begins to drop, one of the first things that happens is cells start slowing down in their function because they don’t have enough voltage to run correctly… like if your refrigerator is getting 80 volts instead of 110 – it won’t cool very well.

Then as it drops more, you get pain. But as voltage drops, oxygen levels drop. The reason is that the amount of oxygen that will dissolve in water is dictated by the voltage of the water so if you take a glass of water and put a tube in and start bubbling oxygen into the water, the amount of oxygen that is absorbed is again, dictated by the voltage, so you raise the voltage in the water and more oxygen goes into solution. But if you lower the voltage in the water, oxygen comes out of solution and disappears.

All cells are 70% water so as voltage drops in the cells, then you begin to switch from aerobic to anaerobic metabolism and that’s a problem because as you know, inside of a cell, we have a rechargeable battery called ATP and when it’s discharged, it’s called ADP and that ATP/ADP battery system provides the voltage for all the enzymes to work.

With this system, we have to have a battery recharger inside the cell and that’s known as the Krebs Cycle. So for every unit of fat you put into the Krebs Cycle, if you have oxygen available, you charge up 38 ATP batteries. But if you don’t have oxygen available, for every unit of fat you put in, you’ll only charge up 2. So it’s like going from 38 miles to the gallon to 2 miles a gallon. Your metabolism becomes very inefficient because you don’t have the oxygen and you don’t have the oxygen because you don’t have the voltage to hold the oxygen there.

There is another bad thing that happens – every one of us contains about a trillion bugs that are suppressed as long as oxygen is around but as oxygen goes away, the bugs wake up and the first thing they want to do is have lunch… which is ‘you’ for lunch. Bugs don’t have teeth so they can’t take a bite out of us for nourishment so they put out digestive enzymes which dissolve cells so they can get the nourishment out.

Think about a strep bacteria having a picnic on your tonsil – he’s happy but you are sensing it as the worst sore throat ever plus those digestive enzymes get in the blood stream and give you a fever, nausea, hurt all over…We also know those digestive enzymes can also go down and scar the heart valves or go down and scar your knees.

What I find is that same process happens any time you have an organ that has low voltage. For example, it’s well known that the kind of bugs that like to live in a gall bladder damage brains. Bugs that live in the large intestine often cause joint damage. And of course, the worst bugs of all are those that live in the teeth.

Moderator – so this is like molecular mimicry and going into immune reactions and cross reactions of antigen/antibody so that’s where they describe the modern auto-immune disorders phenomena as we would know it related to infections, dietary proteins and the like.

A. Let me just tell you that whenever a patients comes into my office with lupus and they’ve got a positive ANA or they come in with rheumatoid arthritis and a positive RA factor, the first place I always look is the teeth and usually, I’ll find the infection there and on rare occasions, I’ll find it in the gall bladder or in the large intestine. I’ll know where it is because the voltage is low in that organ. So I raise the voltage and the microorganisms can’t live with higher oxygen and guess what? The ANA goes back to normal; the patient feels good. The RA factor goes back to normal, the patient feels good.

So you can predictably reverse the so-called autoimmune diseases by just going in and figuring out where the bugs are and they are where the voltage is low. You fix that and the so-called autoimmune disease goes away.

Moderator: When I hear you talk, I keep thinking through my 20 years of being exposed to different thoughts and paradigms that this is just a more scientific spin on what a lot of people have been circling around for a long time….whether it is the traditional Chinese people with meridians and acupuncture or the Ayurvedics dealing with chakras or George Goodhardt, or Becker, Upledger, Chapman, Voll, Klinghardt … is it all just sort of the same paradigm and a way to look at health?

A. Sure –not very much of what I’ve told you is unique to me. What is unique about my system is for example, people who have Voll machines tend to just look at their readings and say this tells me that you need this nutraceutical and send them out the door. What’s unique to my system is simply that I ask the question, ‘what does it take to make new cells and why can’t you make new cells?’ Because if you could make new cells that work, you wouldn’t be sick.

So I look at
* why is your voltage low and I can measure it so I know what the voltage is –
* why is it low enough to allow you to get sick
* why don’t you have enough amino acids to make cells
* why don’t you have enough fats to make cells why don’t you have enough vitamins and minerals? Well, because you don’t have any folic acid to open the cell membranes
* what are the things in your body that are destroying cells as fast as you can make them? and of course that’s where all the detox stuff comes in.

With my system, I don’t claim I’ve solved all the problems in the world. I’m just telling you that my view is to ask the question why can’t you make enough new cells that work in order to be well and I look at every single part of that question.

Moderator; Great! Wonderful information, Dr. Tennant. Thank you so much.

Q&A
Macular Degeneration
Q. Have you used the Biomodulator for AMD and the branch veins occlusions in the eye so that can repair instead of using the standard injections?

A. One thing very popular now in ophthalmology is to inject drugs into the eye that cause blood vessels to clamp down. What happens is that when oxygen levels drop (and again what controls that is voltage) the body has the tendency to make new blood vessels in the area. Example, when you have a heart attack because a vessel got clotted off, then you make new vessels that grow out into the dead or dying heart tissue to try to salvage it. Obviously, the voltage and oxygen levels are low there and that same phenomenon happens throughout the body…as it does in the eye. The problem is that when those new vessels grow into the retina, often times those are very fragile and they have a tendency to bleed. That’s the wet type of macular degeneration; the dry is just a continuation to the wet type. Dry means the voltage has dropped enough to allow the oxygen to drop which means you can’t make new cells and therefore the macula begins to degenerate. As the oxygen continues to get lower and lower, then new blood vessels grow in and that’s called wet macular degeneration. So the docs inject a drug inside the eye that causes the new blood vessels to clamp down which gives some temporary relief but you really haven’t addressed the problem, have you? Because the problem is not the blood vessel, the problem is lack of oxygen – and what caused the lack of oxygen? The lack of voltage. What caused the lack of voltage? Well…hypothyroidism, dental infections, etc, etc.

So what we do to reverse all of that, of cours, is that we put voltage into the eye through the Biomodulator and an attachment called a transducer so we can get voltage right onto the retina then we look at the other things – we fix stomach acid, make sure they have enough fat, take them off of statin drugs because the retina is 50% cholesterol so you have to have plenty of cholesterol to make it work.

As for branch vein occlusion, docs are tending to use this same drug for larger vascular diseases of the eye but again you haven’t addressed the question of why did you have it in the first place.

Every eye patient in my clinic, I measure the teeth because that’s often part of the problem. Another example, there is a thing where get a membrane growing just in front of the macula called a pre-retinal membrane and it makes things distorted; the images in that eye are generally much larger than actual also distorted and twisted. I have never seen a pre-retinal membrane where a patient didn’t have a root canal or an infected molar right under that eye. So you have to stop the poison coming out of the tooth and going right up into the orbit and causing that problem.

Q Is there any way to diagnose other than your instrument?
A. In ophthalmology, we have an OCT machine which gives an image of the retina that is very much like at CT scan anyplace else and we can see all the layers of the retina and what’s going on in the vitreous in front but it doesn’t tell you which tooth is involved. We measure every tooth in every patient and also measure the bioterminals to see if all are low which would mean a thyroid function focus.

Q. – Root canal materials -.the alternative substance called Biocalyx. I’ve heard both good and bad things. Good that it is antibacterial and bad that it can split a tooth – it expands as it sets.
A. There are all sorts of people saying if you use this material or this laser that you can get away with having dead tissue in your mouth. And saying that “gee this root canal looks good is like going to a morgue and saying which dead body looks good.” It’s silly. You just simply cannot get away with leaving dead tissue in the body. So it doesn’t matter what you do to the dead tooth; it’s still dead.

An interesting study done in Japan and published in the Journal of Endodontics where they took people who were going to have wisdom teeth pulled and made it a root canal on one side and then 3 months later, they pulled both teeth. A 3rd molar has up to 3 miles of tubules. They found that the untreated wisdom tooth had 1.1% of the tubules were infected; whereas, the root canal tooth just 3 months prior had 63% of the tubules infected. At the U of Ky, they showed if they took the material from a root canal tooth that it shut down over 60% of the immune system. So no matter what people say to you that they can fix a tooth with a laser or various types of material, the fact is the tooth is still dead and anytime there is still dead tissue in the body, it will be infected. There is no violation of that rule.

Q On the betaine HCl – amount? Increase until start feeling burning?

A. I heard in a lecture but didn’t see it in print that one would have to take 20 betaine HCl capsules to equal that of stomach acid of a teenager. I do have patients that take more than one or two.. I generally tell my patients to start with 2.

Betaine comes as tetramethyl product and it only converts when you have some stomach acid available. With people who have been on PPIs…probably just don’t have enough stomach acid to make betaine work…And those people always do better if you put them on apple cider vinegar instead.

End.

90 minute interview
Courtesy Designs for Health
Suffield, Connecticut

Jerry Tennant, MD, MD(H), MD(P)
Healing is Voltage – The Handbook
C2011
[www.amazon.com]

Tennant Institute
9901 Valley Ranch Parkway East #1015
Irving, TX 75063
Phone 972-580-1156
Fax 972-580-0715
[www.tennantinstitute.com]

Moderator/Host: David M. Brady ND, DC, CCN, DACBN
Dr. Brady is the Chief Medical Officer of Designs for Health, Inc. a nutritional supplement and nutraceutical manufacturer for nutritional professionals. He has been a leading nutritional product formulator and clinical consultant to some of the most innovative nutraceutical companies and clinical laboratories in the country. Dr. Brady also maintains a private practice at Whole Body Medicine in Trumbull, CT (203) 371-8258, where he specializes in “Functional and Metabolic Medicine.

Note: Apple Cider Vinegar dosing ranges from a 1/2 a teaspoon to 1 - 2 teaspoons on up to 2 tablespoons in a glass of water before a meal… start low and work up to success. Organic ACV is recommended to eliminate vonsuming the arsenic from chemicals used as pesticide/fungicide in spraying of conventionally grown apples.

Beginning at the beginning to understand why this WW hoopla:
[www.afibbers.org]

Well known Functional Medicine practitioner, Mark Starr, MD discusses use of the Biomodulator at his website [www.21centurymed.com]
Re: Alkalinity, Healing, pH and Voltage - The Inside Story
April 26, 2012 06:28PM
Because Dr. Tennant emphasizes the importance of stomach acid, note the following comments from Alkalize or Die.

Acid blockers may offer temporary relief, but long term, there can be a myriad of consequences.

When people suffer from GERD and gastric distress, it’s important to learn the source of the problem (such as undigested fats and proteins) rather than mask the symptoms with acid blockers and PPIs since long term, the lack of essential nutrients for healthy body function will result in many debilitating ailments… including minerals that support heart function, (arrhythmias) minerals that support bone health (osteopenia/osteoporosis), methylation dysfunction from lack of B vitamins leading to elevated homocysteine and stroke risk, allergies and food sensitivities from undigested food molecules, leaky gut syndrome, etc.

Excerpts from
Chapter 5 – Hydrochloric Acid – Alkaline Ace

Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is essential for life. Without it, the body cannot make the proper chemical conversions to alkalinity. It is the only acid that our body produces. All other acids are by-products of metabolism and are eliminated as soon as possible.

HCl keeps us alive by maintaining proper alkaline/acid balance and then becomes alkaline after its vital job in the digestive process is done.
Eight essential amino acids, two vitamins and 15 minerals are dependent on proper HCl production for absorption. Vitamin B12 and folic acid simply will not be absorbed from food sources without the correct amount of stomach acid.

Adequate HCl levels greatly reduce tissue acid waste buildup.

Some of many conditions that result from low stomach acid:

1. Imbalances of calcium, magnesium and sodium
2. Boils, abscesses and pus formations as a result of chloride deficiency which is part of the HCl molecule
3. Flabby muscles because of protein deficiencies
4. Tendency to edema and asthma because of acid mucous congestion
5. Inability to oxidize lactic acid in tissues
6. An inability to destroy bacteria sufficiently in food
7. Kidney afflictions as a result of excess wastes
8. An under-functioning pancreas and liver
9. Toxic Liver that can lead to hypertension
10. Failure of endocrine glands to function normally
11. Too much or too little carbon dioxide retained in the blood which is implicated in epilepsy or other brain afflictions
12. A deficiency of potassium which can be very critical as small amounts are essential for the heart beat and functioning of the posterior spinal nerves.

Potassium chloride in the gastric cells of the stomach appears to be the major source of hydrochloric acid formation in the gastric juice. In my opinion, a lack of potassium signals a direct insufficiency of HCl formation with all its debilitating symptoms.
pp 33-35

Alkalize or Die
Theodore A. Baroody, DC, ND, Ph.D., Dipl. Acu., Nutritional Consultant

[fredlauth.com]
If you Google "Alkaline Water", there's a ton of info, some very positive, some very negative.

Here's one of the negatives: [www.chem1.com]
Anonymous User
April 26, 2012 09:34PM
Hi Burt,

Ahh, the swamp of confusing and contradictory facts and opinions - I know it well. This forum's alkaline water schtick began 10 years ago with enticing information in Australian pathologist Dr. Russell Beckett's 2001 patent titled Aqueous Metal Bicarbonate Solution and Method of Use. Within were some remarkable studies, one in which two groups of sheep, 55 in each, were maintained for full lifetimes (up to 17 years) on plain water or alkaline water respectively, while various health parameters were monitored and recorded, up to and including autopsies following natural death.
That study is titled Example 3. It is posted at [www.afibbers.org]

Autopsies were performed on sheep, when conditions permitted, within 24 hours of death. Macroscopic signs of significant degenerative diseases and other diseases were recorded. Significant pathology is given below:

Prevalence of pathology at autopsy (%).
Macroscopic.
Significant Pathology (*most significant):

Control Group (42 autopsies)
*Heart 29%
*Cancer 12%
*Joints 43%
*Bone 24%
*Skin-wool 48%
Teeth 71%
Lungs 24%
Liver 43%
Kidney 24%.
Genitourinary 17%
Lymph nodes 40%
Intestinal tract 10%.

Treatment Group (38 autopsies)
*Heart 11%
*Cancer 3%
*Joints 5%
*Bone 3%
*Skin-wool 21%
Teeth 40%
Lungs 21%
Liver 21%
Kidney 16%
Genito-urinary 16%
Lymph nodes 37%
Intestinal tract 8%.

For the actual background to all this, recommend reading the '02 Sydney news article titled Peter Bowers on the clues that led to the water [www.smh.com.au]

Take care!

Erling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 09:38PM by Erling.
That's some fascinating information. One thing I am not clear on- did the sheep that drank alkalizing water actually live longer than the control group sheep? Since you are doing autopsies, they are all dead for some reason (maybe it was time for a lamb chop?)

One of the posts I read last night called it "snake oil on tap." I guess I am just a little skeptical.

Thanks
Anonymous User
April 27, 2012 10:10AM
Burt,

Be skeptical but open minded, curious and not cynical, and you'll arrive at truth. In my note there is a link to the full study. There you would have found full details answering your questions. Please study it -- it's good science: [www.afibbers.org][/i]

Erling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2012 10:19AM by Erling.
April 27, 2012 11:12AM
I have tested my saliva pH regularly for about a year - first thing in the morning. It usually is about 6.4, which is the ideal level based on laboratory testing of healthy vs not-so-healthy individuals (this comes from the lab company itself - as a result of tens of thousands of patient readings).

Interestingly, when I have had an afib attack, the level is usually higher, 6.6. My afib attacks nearly always follow the day of hard exercise, and on those days the pH is often higher, sometimes as high as 6.8.

My conclusion? My pH variability is based on issues other than diet, my diet is constant day to day, so is what I drink. In my case, afib is concurrent with higher pH readings. Persons who are ill often have low pH, however the acidity is usually an effect of the illness, not an underlying cause, according to current medial thinking. My own experience with pH would support the notion that pH is the tail of the dog.

I also fail to understand a progression of dietary intake that would change the pH level of blood, as everything I have read indicates that CO2 is the blood variable that effects that change.

Using sheep as a surrogate for human testing is unusual, as we do not share many physiological characteristics, Animals such as rats are a better choice as we share common ancestry and more physiological attributes. (However, I must share my opinion, that all animal testing is immoral.)
I read all the information in the article with my attention on the low stomach acid passages. As someone with serious GERD and the need to take PPIs because of incompentent lower esophegeal spincter and hiatal hernia, I am left puzzled and uncertain. I get checked every three or four years for Barret's Cells in the lower espophagus as high acid contact on esophageal cells helps them turn cancerous. Too bad Drs Baroody and Tennent did not comment on this condition.

Any comments about this particular condition requiring control of stomach acid and its resulting stated detrimental effect on other health conditions?

Ken
Anonymous User
April 27, 2012 01:18PM
Quote from the study Example 3 [www.afibbers.org]: "Sheep were selected as the representative mammal because their life span and body weight are more representative of typical mammals than laboratory rodents, their life span is not excessively long, their body size permits multiple blood and tissue sample collections, they are easy to handle and their husbandry is suited to experimental conditions. [see [www.sheep101.info] ]"
=============================================

The study sponsors:

Mission Statement [web.archive.org]

There are things in life
that give us the capacity to overcome ignorance
and the encouragement to persevere.

-- Non Pharmaceutical Health Care is a subsidiary of the Monareau Project. It is centred around an academic research group based in Australia.
-- The goal of Non Pharmaceutical Health Care is to offer its intellectual capital in the service of people and thus contribute to an original, ethical and socially responsible approach to thinking, knowledge, education and science.
-- Non Pharmaceutical Health Care envisions that all its activities are an expression of joy and curiosity.
-- All projects and ventures conducted and/or supported by Non Pharmaceutical Health Care derive from a concern for people and life in general.
-- Non Pharmaceutical Health Care encourages original and innovative thinking and initiatives. With this purpose in mind, Non Pharmaceutical Health Care provides and engages in a diversity of forums created with the aim to promote creative communication and exchange.
-- Non Pharmaceutical Health Care is involved in original, responsible and ethical research and in intellectual, educational and community projects. Therefore a significant proportion of its potentially income-generating activities will be directed toward these goals.
-- No product, project or venture conducted and/or supported by Non Pharmaceutical Health Care will require or involve laboratory animal cruelty, vivisection or the exploitation of human and other animal embryos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2012 01:19PM by Erling.
April 27, 2012 01:54PM
Erling,
Life span and body weight might be the chosen factors to best represent blood chemistry and metabolism for other hooved herbivores but certainly not for any serious comparison to humans. Good grief - the primary reason rats are used is due to their similar genetically-based biological traits (which I would think would be more to the point), further, lab rats are carefully bred to insure that random mutations or variant traits don't spoil the test results, thus misleading conclusions. I doubt that the sheep were screened for any kind of trait variances, as they would hardly be closely representative of humans in the first place, as least with regard to blood chemistry variables.

Tom
Anonymous User
April 27, 2012 02:15PM
Jackie -

This is an excellent contribution to our knowledge and is much appreciated. Combined with recent offerings it brings us closer to a complete understanding of cell / body function and ways for enhancement.

The film The Living Matrix is about fields of information-carrying energy originating from the myriad sodium/potassium voltage-generating pumps in the cells' plasma membrane. The film was 'disappeared' for awhile but it's 8 parts are now back. [www.afibbers.org]. In this context it would seem a good idea to again watch at least part 6: [www.disclose.tv]

Erling.
Anonymous User
April 27, 2012 02:24PM
Tom,

You should argue your points with Dr. Russell Beckett, not me. If you want, I'll try to find his contact information. He's a DVM / PhD in pathology / biochemistry so he might appreciate your thoughts.

Erling.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2012 02:49PM by Erling.
Anonymous User
April 27, 2012 02:43PM
Tom, you could email the Unique Water manufacturer. There's a link at the bottom of their 'Contact' page. [www.uniquewater.com.au]
April 27, 2012 03:48PM
Erling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom,
>
> You should argue your points with Dr. Russell
> Beckett, not me. If you want, I'll try to find his
> contact information. He's a DVM / PhD in pathology
> / biochemistry so he might appreciate your
> thoughts.
>
> Erling.

I could care less about Dr. Russell - I'm just pointing out that using sheep as a model for humans will not net the kind of quality information that I would consider useful for human application.

Tom
April 27, 2012 04:54PM
My! I am away from the computer for a day and what a flurry of response! Good to see someone is reading.

Tom, I totally agree that testing on animals in inhumane; however, no harm in noting that a flock of sheep who drink from naturally high magnesium -content spring water versus those that don’t are healthier and live longer…. Just as humans do who consume more alkaline ash producing foods. .

I’ve been studying my own body responses to intake of acidic or alkaline ash producing foods since ’’95 when I was introduced to the concept for health and longevity. I have my own ‘built-in’ sensor for when my body becomes too acidic and that’s my tongue. It tingles when I slip into an acidic state as a result of oral lichen planus which has been reversed but the damage done denuded portions of my tongue that act as systemic acidic sensors. That and using the acid/alkaline ash food charts, it’s easy to know when I’m doing okay and when I become too acidic.

A note for all who are confused on pH and how the body reacts to foods and beverages that metabolize to acidic or alkaline ash…

There are several sources for charts showing the scale developed by Dr. Baroody to indicate which foods fall in to what category on a scale from 0.5 to 7.5 with neutral being 4.0. This is reflective of how the body manages various foods and then the metabolic result is whether your tissue is acidic or alkaline.

Dr. Baroody says:

It is calculated by several authorities that a urine and salivary pH of 6.4 is best for human body function. I agree.
However, it is very impractical for the average man to test his urine and saliva at frequent intervals in an ordinary work day.
I also do not recommend the use of litmus paper for testing salivary pH or urinalysis sticks for urine pH as an absolute measurement of whether the overall body is really too alkaline or acid. These are just too many arbitrary and unpredictable

Instead, I devised new values and scales for foods and situations that will act as an automatic, realistic monitor of pH levels without having to check every 5 minutes. By utilizing the values, you can even determine with a reasonable degree of certainty your alkaline-acid levels over an extended period of hours, days or weeks.

Acid wastes literally attack the joints, tissues, muscles, organs and glands causing minor to major dysfunction

As an example, Tom, tomatoes aren’t all that acidic… and rank on the scale as slightly alkaline at 4.5 for less sweet tomatoes and 5.0 for tomatoes on the sweet side. Lemons, as an example, will test acidic with the traditional pH meter, but in the body, they are highly alkalizing and test out as 7.5 alkaline… versus a carbonated soft drink metabolizing to acid ash at 1.0 on his scale which is now well known and used by those following this approach to alkalizing tissue.

As this relates to afibbers, Dr. Baroody talks about the Vagus Nerve and says that when it is pinched, it produces a contraction and an acid residue which then alters the function of the vagus in its entirety which means symptoms in heart, lungs, liver, gallbaldder, spleen, pancreas, small and large intestines, thyroid, and the primitive brain stem medulla.

It's easy to relate afib to a pinched vagus since so many people also have gastric complaints.... and an acidic system is to blame. Unless you see a person who understands spinal alignment, you aren't likely to get that out of a diagnosis.

Dr. Tennant would test all the teeth and find an infected tooth and a meridian connected to the organ that is dysfunctional.

It would be interesting to do a casual survey of how many people have root canals or antique amalgam fillings that might be leaking that relate to the heart meridian or stomach or whatever is the focus of the ailment.

Jackie

[naturaldentistry.us]
April 27, 2012 05:51PM
Jackie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> As this relates to afibbers, Dr. Baroody talks
> about the Vagus Nerve and says that when it is
> pinched, it produces a contraction and an acid
> residue which then alters the function of the
> vagus in its entirety which means symptoms in
> heart, lungs, liver, gallbaldder, spleen,
> pancreas, small and large intestines, thyroid, and
> the primitive brain stem medulla.

>
> It's easy to relate afib to a pinched vagus since
> so many people also have gastric complaints....
> and an acidic system is to blame. Unless you see
> a person who understands spinal alignment, you
> aren't likely to get that out of a diagnosis.
>

That is interesting. I wonder if pinching other than that associated with spinal alignment can cause the same effect. Many afibbers, including myself, don't have spinal alignment problems, yet experience ectopics or worse when bending over, or sitting when the tummy if full. The acid residue angle is something to consider - but...in the real world, how could that situation be avoided? It doesn't make sense that a pH predisposition could make any difference to a nerve generated acidic pulse. Since I can relate only to my own set of circumstances, I wonder too, why those same ectopics, or worse, occur only when I am recovering from exercise...could it be that the nerve or surrounding tissue is inflammed and swollen somewhat, thus leading to pinching which would not occur at other times? The heart arrhythmia is virtually concurrent with the physical action of bending over (Ben Dover? remember him?) - I would think that a decrease in pH would have a more gradual effect.It seems more likely that the irritated sympathetic vagus nerve is sending a noreprinephrin dose directly to the heart cells as a result of the "pinch" rather than other mechanisms. If the heart already has irritated foci, typcially located at the PV ostia, you get afib, otherwise you get some other arrhythmia - like a single focus firing off with a short run of tachy or PVC's.
April 28, 2012 12:22AM
Hi to all.

I have been following this alkalizing issue when I get time and I'm well on the way to believing that many/most can be helped by keeping their body in alkalizing state, the 'facts' given in the above posts certainly tie in with what I am picking up on the internet.

I like simple solutions and alkalizing your body with baking soda is about as simple as it can get.

Out there in cyber space there could be say 200 afibbers who have run out of ideas or money for ablations so isn't this a chance to either prove /disprove the relevance of alkalizing the body to rid us of AF and many other things. I have just completed 2 weeks taking baking soda and the tests I have carried out indicate the following to show that I am not suggesting that folk do something that I have not done myself. I believe that the protocol would not be suitable for anyone with kidney issues and possible others too. I have had no negative issues whatsoever and may even double the doseage on my next round of tests maybe next week.

My observations with baking soda - maintenance dose? of one teaspoon full at night....

Eating my normal diet during the day would suggest the diet is certainly towards acidic though I am not a junk food eater. Morning urine is pH 6 on the scale whereas 7 is neutral and anything above is alklaine. So I guess I live in an acidic state most of the time.

If I take one teaspoon of baking soda last thing at night the morning urine pH is at least 8 which I believe means I have been in an alkalized state throught the night, a time of healing?.

Should I have say 4 pints of beer at night and take no baking soda the morning pH is at 5 which is I believe 100 times the acidicy of a pH of 7, 100 times!!!!!!!!

If I take baking soda last thing after the 4 pints of the beer the morning reading is 7 i.e neutral so this may suggest that the baking soda is combating the acidity of the beer very succesfully.

So maybe a challenge to prove / disprove the benifits of alkalizing the body, any takers???? I am an ex-affiber so I cannot take part in any challenge but would have gone into this challenge 100% pre-ablation, I did with everything else.

As encouragement and a change from facts and figures important though they are, I add below a short story from someone fighting his own personal battle with cancer which he won after only 10 days by using baking soda. I included his short video in an early post which can be found at phkillscancer.com. The guy could be a total fraud but my money is that he is 100% genuine and is simply one of 'us' but fighting a different battle and wanting to help others. He does mention that he was currently struggling with heart issues - Afib??? I will try to find out.

Vernon’s Dance With Cancer

This is just the beginning of this dance. When it is over it is not over. The music still calls me to do more ‘things’ and to continue to right my body to its natural state of Health and Well-Being.

“Everybody else has a ‘ battle with cancer’ or at least ‘ a fight’ – you choose to dance with the crab which has a dark yet optimistic elegance.”…Bryan

The Dance Begins

Dear Son….”I am coming to Hawaii. Shall I bring a tent or buy one there?” Dear Dad…”Don’t bother with a tent. I am caretaking a place and there is a vacant cabin just for you.”

Well, I went to Hawaii and had one adventure after another. Including camping, fire dancing, getting in between a battle between growers and rippers, announcing a couple man and wife at a gathering, learning Hawaiian fruits and hunting them, living in cabins, house sitting, trip to India, two visits from my wife, getting to know my son, and much much more.

One adventure I was not prepared for was a devastating visit to a doctor after my return from a trip to India. Previously, I was struggling with some other health news concerning my heart, but this one…this one was the ‘killer’. It put me to the test.

I had passed the test in India where I made a $30.00 symbolic gesture for life by deciding to have a tooth filled instead of continuing the attitude “I am dead anyway, so why fix anything”. That was huge! And I needed it to carry me through what was waiting for me. I am crying now just thinking about what happened.

A PSA test which registered 22.3 raised some huge flags. The doctors made appointments for a biopsy. Which, if you never had one make sure they numb your prostate.

Because I swear after the 8th bite from that jaw-headed needle springing into my prostate to grab a bit of flesh it was not my prostate that was numbed. It was someone else’s. When I yelled out “the F word!” on the ninth hit the ‘torture team’ decided they had enough samples. They had wanted 12.

The biopsy report indicated that I did indeed have prostate cancer. This called for the next step – a bone scan. That scan was like a trip into space. I laid myself onto this bedded slab which guided my ‘bones’ into that picture-taking-oversized-donut. The report from this scan as well as a Pelvic Cat Scan is where the doctors decided I was afflicted with aggressive prostate cancer. In their technical terms they described it on the report dated 17Mar 2008: “Reviewed CT and bone scan. Bone scan showed metastatic disease at R sacrum and L illiac wing”.

So…they patted me on the back and told me I had aggressive prostate cancer that has spread to the bone. I felt bad for the young doctor who was from North Carolina. He felt bad for me and did not know how to express it.

Me…I didn’t know how to express it either. This was a whole new gig. On my walk away from the doctors, I felt my eyes welling up. On my return flight to Hilo from Honolulu I wish I had sun glasses.

My primary care physician (bless her heart) decided to get a second opinion even though a team of doctors already diagnosed me. She sent me to an Oncologist. This is what he said on the report:

“Ancillary Studies: These are largely mentioned in the history of present illness. The pathology confirms the presence of prostate carcinoma of high grade. The T stage would appear to be stage III but without obvious invasion into the seminal vesicles on CT scan. The radionuclide bone scan and plain films confirm the presence of skeletal metastasis in the sacrum and the left illium. In addition, on my review of the CT scan of the pelvis, a number of other small sclerotic lesions are noted within the pelvis. Pre-treatment PSA was 22 but has decreased to 5.88 after institution of Finasteride and Casodex. TNM classification, T#NXM1. AJCC stage IV.”

(What? Stage IV? Is that what I think it says? There is no Stage V)

He went on to discuss with me possible and improbable treatments. What he basically said is that there are none. In fact, he mentioned that he even found a few more spots that the first team of doctors missed.

Lucky me! At least he told me that I shouldn’t be buying my coffin just yet. You see…I had no idea what bone cancer was suppose to mean to me. When the first set of doctors informed me that I had prostate cancer that had spread to the bones, I didn’t know if that meant my bones were going to melt away or what.

In any event, I left this doctor feeling better. Not because I was happy with the diagnosis’s. But because he, at least, explained a few things to me that the other doctor did not. Plus I was becoming used to the fact that I was a dead man walking. Hahaha!

Well….I found out that my muscles weren’t going to fall off my bones. I did get a lot of warnings about pain. Never the less, this story continues.

Even though I was feeling better with this new information, I was still devastated. The Dance had begun, and I don’t know if I was a willing partner or not. I was just too numb! Numb as in “I felt like my Soul was sucked out of me.”

Now I am going to fast forward here a little bit. You don’t need to know or experience how empty I felt. So I am jumping ahead to Oregon.

Somehow through some miracle, my son, who lives in Las Vegas, mentioned to me something about pH and how pH affects the body. Now this grateful information I got from my son did not get to me as I was leaving the doctor’s office. It came to me after I left Hawaii.

Even though it seemed incidental at the time, having my tooth filled in India planted a seed in me that, unbeknownst to me, would carry in it a desire to live.

I let the pH info I got from my son incubate for a few days before I did any pH research. The research lead to Cesium Therapy. Cesium is a mineral, that according to internet studies, likes to eat up cancer. It attacks the tumor from the inside out. And of course, it is highly alkaline.

I was anxious to become friends with cesium. I had nothing to lose. I do not and did not care what the naysayers say. I wanted to do something. So Cesium it was! But wait…the cesium got lost in the mail. Oh crap, now what do I do? Wait for a reshipment? No…Can’t do that. I am on a roll; need to do something quickly. The next allopathic test is around the corner.

That is when I decided to try baking soda. It was something that I ran across on the internet that suggested that it too would raise my body’s pH. Now both of these pH raising substances did not indicate they would be successful in killing bone cancer. Quite the contrary! The research indicated neither would help get rid of bone cancer. So, I decided to add a twist. I added Black Strap Molasses as the carrier.

Long story short. I did it. I drank a baking soda solution I started 2 June 2008 and quit 12 June 2008. I quit because I was scheduled for another bone scan on 13 June 2008. They wanted to see how far that doctors’ thing spread or if what they were doing has slowed it down.

I have to mention here that at this ‘baking soda’ point in this adventure I am not in Hawaii. My sibling family in Oregon rallied around me and invited me to come ‘home’ to them. They wanted to keep an eye on me; be there for me; and give me love. My real thoughts were, “I am going home to die.”

Plus, the VA Hospital in Portland was close by. At least I wouldn’t have to make that Hawaiian Island to Island jump to get more bad news.

My son in Hawaii, who I was having the absolute most fun with was crushed that I would leave. He brought me to tears when he said, “Dad, stay with me. I will do what it takes to take care of you. I will get another job. Two if I have to”. Believe me that took me over the edge. Again, this cry baby, is crying while I write this.

But I thought it best to go to Oregon. Especially when my brother promised me that he would play Backgammon with me (I love that game). I felt I was soon to be a burden and did not want my son to be part of that. It is more complicated than that, but I did what I thought best.

So back to the follow-up bone scan (I am in Oregon now)…. I went through another space ride through a fat donut once more. This time, however, I was hoping for hope. I don’t know why I was hoping, because all my research indicated that once cancer got into the bones you are toast. Anyway, I got bone scanned and waited for the report. The report arrived in the mail a few days later. I was nervous and did not want to open it. As a matter of fact I am crying right now just thinking about it. I finally opened it to these words:

“NO CONVINCING EVIDENCE OF AN OSSEOUS METASTATIC PROCESS” I bawled like a baby.

Two days later I got another report in the mail about my blood tests: PSA is now 0.1…. That is zero point one!

Do I have a conclusion? No I don’t. I just told you some of my story……Vernon

PS: Where is the Cesium? It finally showed up around 11 June 2008. Will I take it? Yes, in a heartbeat. When? When I decide! And I decided to a few weeks later, but that is just a part of this continuing story.

Sometimes I describe this adventure as “Being Hit by a Rainbow.” You may ask what does this have to do with being hit by a rainbow. Well…I describe any thing good or miraculous as being hit by a rainbow. My son turning me onto adjusting the body’s pH from acidic to alkaline as a possible way to create some hope was a good hit. I did not act right away on the pH factor, but within a few days I was busy on my Asus laptop googling away.

My sibling family bribing me out of Hawaii to come to Oregon was another rainbow hit. By the way, my brother promising to play backgammon with me – that was a ruse. He just said that because I was not initially excited about leaving Hawaii. In fact, I was not excited about anything. He wanted me to be close by, so he lied to me about playing backgammon. He hates backgammon. His goal (thank you brother) was to get me to his house.

One of my sister’s sending me a good chunk of travel money was definitely rainbow mterial. Probably more like a pot of gold hitting me. She also corresponded or called me almost daily. How nice is that!

In any case, those were just a few of the getting-smacked-around-by-a-rainbow things. But the Baking Soda was a big one. Arm and Hammer to the rescue! I later found out that Arm and Hammer is shunned by some baking soda users because of the idea that it has aluminum in it. Well, at the time, I could have cared less. Hey man, my body is hanging on to some pretty corrupt bones. What would you do?

As I later found out from research and a visit to a natural food store, aluminum is not in baking soda, It is in baking powder. The employee specializing in the vitamin and mineral department said that Bob’s Red Mill Baking Powder is aluminum free and so is, as far as she knows, all baking soda brands. Oh crap! I am sure there will be discussion on that.

Speaking of baking soda I am sure many people are interested to know what proportions of baking soda I used with the molasses. As a matter of fact I am sure of it, because invariably that questions pops up when I speak about baking soda and my dance with cancer.

Thank all the gods that I took notes. Larry of Stocko fame (and a true Rainbow) on one of the Yahoo Cesium groups drilled into me the necessity of good notes. He told me that it is for my good and for the good of others. Good for me especially if I live. Larry, by the way, was instrumental in providing me with information. You see he and his wife have had some some of their own experiences with cancer. It is quite a story.

I met Larry while researching cesium. He was very helpful. I was lucky to have his experience. He was definitely rainbow material and cesium at the time was my focus. Larry sent me website after website loaded with natural cures. I cannot pretend that I read them all, but I did cruise through a few of them while waiting for my cesium to arrive.

Well, like I mentioned earlier, the cesium got lost in the mail. Most people would think that sucked, but not me. It was another rainbow miracle because it opened the door for baking soda to get itself busy alkalizing my body.

Barry G.
April 28, 2012 12:31AM
In my previous post I stated that the guy was 'currently' having heart issues which was misleading, he states he was previously having heart issues.

Barry G.
So what is the bottom line? How much baking soda?? Is magnesium alkalyzing or the opposite? Is potassium alkalysing or the opposite?
April 28, 2012 10:21AM
Bob - you definitely want to stay away from baking soda for alkalizing.... It is sodium bicarbonate and contains too much sodium which competes for potassium if you were to use it on a regular basis..

Alkalizing is important, but not at the expense of adding sodium. In an emergency, baking soda is helpful for a severe case of indigestion but not to use on a continual basis for the purpose of systemic alkalizing as discussed in this thread.

Jackie
Hi Jackie - I too saw the sodium content and ruled it out - so what would be the best agent to alkalize? And dosages?
April 28, 2012 10:50AM
Bob G.

if your question is being adressed to me then I would advise you to visit the guys website i.e. phkillscancer.com and check things out. He does not appear to be a 'professional' so read it as it is, the protocol he followed is in there but basically over the 10 days he built up to getting four days in a fully akalized state .i.e. pH above 8 for four days (24 hours) solid and then stopped because he was going in for the final tests, he was also getting a bit 'fuzzy'. As always on the internet you do your own due dilligence even if it is me telling the tale ;-)

Many things are alkalizing and magnesium and potassium are included as well so maybe the actual real benifits of magnesium and potassium are that they help to alkalize the body.

It is only in the last week or so that I have found out that my 42 year old daughter who had a kidney transplant about three years ago is given - along with a host of toxic drugs to stop her body rejecting her 'guest' kidneys - sodium bicarbonate capsules. It seems clear to me that the sodium bicarbonate is included to offset the toxicity of the other drugs i.e attempting to alkalize her body from the acidity of the other drugs. This would appear to fly into the face of reason especially with a kidney transplant patient due to the 'high' content of sodium but obviously the medical system considers the risk worth taking. Note this is sodium bicarbonate NOT magnesium bicarbonate.

If I had told my daughter that she should be taking baking soda - and thats the reason why I asked what the drugs she was taking in the first place - she would have said "yes Dad yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn"

Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Barry G.
April 28, 2012 11:17AM
Jackie,

I fully understand your concern on sodium bicarbonate however in my last post I clearly point out that my daughter has been taking sodium bicarbonate capsules every day for over three years, I believe the last thing kidney transplant patients need is potassium so would you think the sodium bicarbonate is to stop the potassium thats is so important to the rest of us????????

The protocol of 'Mr Vito' is for 10 days only.I have completed 14 days on one teaspoon of sodium per day without any issues whatsover.

I, like many on the BB have found - at times - potassium to be pro arrythmic.

Barry G.
April 28, 2012 02:32PM
Barry - your daughter should follow the advice of the doctors who are treating her, providing that seems to be working in her favor. I know that when I had a severe kidney ailment as a child (glomerulonephritis), I was placed on a strict, sodium-free, protein-free diet to spare the kidneys, bed-rest only for around 4 - 5 months--. on my feet only to use the bathroom, and every ounce of fluid intake and output was measured to determine kidney function. That was 70 years ago and undoubtedly protocols have changed, but I'm still here with healthy kidneys so apparently that approach was correct... at least for me.

Sodium competes with potassium. For that reason, it can be the source of hypertension and obviously AF.

As for afibbers, just remember that it's the potassium-to-sodium ratio (4:1 at least) that provides the functionality of the sodium/potassium pumps, the heart energy, (voltage) etc that keeps us in NSR. It is not a high intake of sodium. Supplemental potassium is well known (documented) to make arrhythmias worse when the intracellular stores of magnesium are deficient or suboptimal. If by adding potassium, an afibber gets worse, that would be the first signal (to me) that they need to work on magnesium repletion before adding any significant amount of potassium.... or that they are too high in sodium relative to potassium so the potassium can't work properly. Typically, these people need to work on a diligent intake of potassium-containing foods first and then use supplements if they can't reach the minimum of 4700 mg via foods... As you know from reading CR 72 and the many other posts Erling has offered, the natural consumption of potassium-containing foods similar to Paleo man's intake was much higher than the basic minimum of 4700 mg.

Reminder... check the quotes Erling has offered from physician and biophysicist, Richard D. Moore, MD, PhD.... and the two books very important to afibbers.

Best to you and your daughter!

Jackie.

Dr. Moore's books, The Salt Solution and .The High Blood Pressure Solution.(The K Factor.). apply to all afibbers.
April 28, 2012 03:17PM
Tom B... regarding the pinching or 'impingement'....

I can relate to bending over and AF. While I was mostly vagal with events at night, quite often, during the day while bending over from the waist to put my tee in the ground would bring on AF. The holistic chiropractor at the time was continually checking to see if I had stomach/diaphragm involvement. I didn’t have a hiatal hernia, but the stomach definitely was exerting undue pressure on the diaphragm and obviously impinging the vagus nerve. I had the same problem with yoga postures so dropped that. Once he did his series of adjustments, along with the other protocols I wrote about in Calming My Heart, I went from AF every day to zero in a matter of weeks. I learned to squat for tee placement. My chiro also tried it and said he got a lot more distance off the tee as a result (he thought) of not compressing the vagus. No such luck for me!

The current chiropractor I see practices a different form of spinal alignment assessment. She measures ANS function through a thermal scanner and although the original chiro said I was in good alignment, the second DC found by NeuroSpinal Function Index Analysis and by scan, that I had some deviations in the cervical area which would tie into vagus function. My Heart Rate Variability was also assessed and improved, but that’s another topic.

What I know from past experience is that I tend toward acidic tissue and once I cultivated the habit of learning to eat the alkaline-acid ash foods 80% with only 20% acidic (or less), my irritated vagus calmed down and has remained that way. The Strategy plus the alkaline water intake keeps my heart calm even after I had those annoying post-ablation breakthroughs. As for measuring, I don't really worry about that as I know what keeps me alkaline and I don't like to obsess with measuring or gadgets because that seems to foster foreboding or negative feelings.

A good point to be made about tissue pH is emphasized by all who endorse that method of staying healthy.... all forms of stress, negative emotions, fear, anger, overwork, jealousy all produce an acidic tissue result... versus kindness, love, peace, prayer and meditation that is highly alkalizing.

For a quick alkalizer, Dr. Baroody recommends 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice in 4 oz of water.

On the food list, most alkalizing are lemons and watermelon for a yearly fast, according to Dr. Baroody. I'd think the sugar content in watermelon would be a negative. Another highly alkalizing food is asparagus. Dr. Baroody's booklet Asparagus Can Do It.... says that no matter how it's prepared, even canned, asparagus doesn't lose it's alkalizing effect. If using canned, just go for no or low sodium. He recommends putting a can of LS asparagus in a blender and drinking several ounces at a time throughout the day to remain alkaline. I've done it for years... but not lately.
Good reminder to start doing it again.

Jackie
April 28, 2012 03:29PM
That's great info Jackie,
I'm trying to do the same thing - get that irritated vagus calmed down. I'll try the asparagus.
Thanks,

Tom
April 28, 2012 11:03PM
Jackie thanks for your post and best wishes for my daughter, she needs them.

My daughter would never deviate from her doctors advice no matter what I said and I would not even think of meddling around with the complicated concoction of drugs she has to take on a daily basis, I live in Hong Kong and she lives in the UK. The procol that she follows keeps her alive and the vast amount of her drugs are I would presume be acidic, are there any man made serious drugs alkaline as a side effect - I doubt it.

The mystery - to me - is why would sodium bicarbonate be included in my daughters daily 'drug' intake.

If the sodium bicarbonate is purposely included to compete with potassium then that would go against the very strong message on the BB to take potassium suppliments. Also if this is correct then kidney transplant patients would probably be lining up outside the AF clinics due to their lack of potassium.
If the sodium bicarbonate is for the sole purpose of aiding the body to alkalize then she is sentenced to taking sodium bicarbonate every day for life and she has done three years already.It would also beg the question why the docs do not used one of the other bicarbonates. A ten day protocol with sodium bicarbonate - which could be stopped at any time - would appear, by comparison, to be of minimal risk to an 'healthy' afibber. Vito 's protocol - if his story is a true account - is what he used to beat stage 4 cancer of the prostate which would indicate that his body was in an extremely acidic state, afibbers would probably need far less sodium bicarbonate to maintain an alkalizing state of pH8 for four days which was his target in the time left before his final tests.

I would note that my daughter is a serious affiber like I was and is now lining up for ablation No4 in Manchester, England. She will be using the same EP who did the previous three dispite my offer to pay for her to go to Bordeaux, i.e. the same doc that suggested to put a pacemaker in after 'failed' ablation No3 which my daughter refused after talking to me. The same doc as now admitted to her, in front of another doc, that he was probably a bit rash to consider the pacemaker route, experts???????
I would also note that I along with my elder sister and our mother had AF so my daughter is probably following a family 'weakness', her partner also a kidney transplant patient as no arrythmias at all.

My daughters AF was confirmed long before her kidney transplant.

Just being devils advocate here,

Barry G.
Jackie, one can of asparagus every day?
May 08, 2012 12:53PM
Barry,

Please note that Vernon was on Casodex. This is a drug used for chemical castration. I would suggest that it, rather than the sodium bicarbonate, was responsible for his PSA dropping to 0.1.

Hans
May 08, 2012 07:56PM
Hans,

Vernon does acknowledge that he was on that drug plus another, I think, that lower the PSA, however he offsets that by saying you cannot stay on the drugs for very long, after which I presume the PSA rises again. I think he actually states that fact and that he was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer and that the drugs will not cure him anyway. The doctors considered it not worth trying chemo or radiation so he must have been a bad case.

I know very little about these things and really skip the 'details' and look at the end result. Unless Vernon is purposely misleading everyone for a reason unbeknown to us he takes no drugs whatsoever either for the cancer or his heart issues - he had Atrial Fibrillation - since his dance with cancer. He does state that his heart efficiency (ejection fraction I presume) raised from a very poor 35% to a reasonable 55% which is just at the bottom level of 'normal' if my memory serves me correctly.

Your point is well taken and we must always guard against what we pick up on the internet, that said we must still be open to any new avenue in chasing down the cure for AF.

Barry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login