Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reference levels

Posted by alex 
alex
Reference levels
March 12, 2011 05:29PM
A question for Jackie.Hans or anyone who knows something about the area.

Tests generally have some form of reference range. For example, homocysteine, maybe 5 to 15 and you would aim to being towards the lower end, say under 9.

I won't go into the reference ranges in detail because there are different scales in different countries or laboratories.

In magnesium I was well below the reference range, but after injections got it up and I am sure it is a important factor in the disappearance of my afib. I aim to keep it up.

But there are tests about which I am not clear. My selenium is above the range but not grossly. This was true with my CoQ10, which I reduced so now it is about the middle of the range. Was I better being a bit above the reference range or about the middle of the reference range?

The same question applies to other supplements as to where a good position may be. I'm sure such information would be useful to other people, apart from me.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

Ben Saif
Re: Reference levels
March 12, 2011 10:20PM
alex
may i ask you about your mg injections? why did you go for this route ? was it i.m , i.v or infusions? how did you convince your dr to give it to you?
what mg test you are referring to? is it the routine one or the (exa-test)?
do you think it made big difference in your case?
thanks alex
ben

March 13, 2011 03:17AM
Alex - It's tricky when you try to manage your nutrient levels yourself without knowing "why you need to be where."

For instance, potassium...if you have AF, you want to be closer to the upper range rather than at the bottom if symptomatic...ie, ectopy or AF. Same with other measurements...it depends on the nutrient and what you either want in the way of effect or what you want to avoid. For example, high calcium would not be good if you have parathyroid problems. Selenium is toxic at elevated levels so you want to stay in range. Etc.

As for risk markers like Homocysteine...you always want to be low; if not it means there is a problem with the methylation cycle and certain nutrients need to supplemented.

With CoQ10 - you don't ever want to cut back on that. I'll be posting shortly about oxidative stress damage and the benefits of the super-antioxidant, CoQ10. Most likely, your test range is still too low for optimizing the health benefits of CoQ. This is a critical nutrient and most people don't have nearly enough to provide cellular energy and the antioxidant protection as well.

Jackie
alex
March 14, 2011 10:25PM
Hello Ben,

despite being strong and fit my red blood cell magnesium levels were well below the reference levels and didn't shift with good-quality magnesium supplements.

I read Dr Sholl and Dr Myhill etc and thought I would give injections a go.

I showed my doctor the reference levels and he agreed. It's not some risky drug after all. I could have done it myself but my doctor is much more skilful.

Up came magnesium levels after several treatments and have generally remained in the same area.

Is this what stopped my atrial fibrillation? Of course I can't know but I think it was a big factor though I did follow a lot of other disciplines at the same time.

Thanks

Alex
Ben Saif
March 15, 2011 10:07PM
Alex,
Thank you for the valuable information.

Ben
March 16, 2011 01:11AM
Ben - when magnesium isn't able to be absorbed efficiently and utilized inside the cells, the best and quickest method of repletion is the IV or IM administration if one has access to a medical professional who is able to deliver it for you in that manner.

If you haven't read this about magnesium absorption, it may be of interest.
[www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login