Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flaxseed Oil

Posted by David B 
David B
Flaxseed Oil
March 07, 2011 11:36AM
I have been advised that taking flacseed oil is generally good for the heart and may help with arrythmia

does anyone know if flacseed has beneficial effects

David B
Re: Flaxseed Oil
March 08, 2011 12:56AM
David - for heart health, the Omega 3 fish oils are considered to be better. Choose one that delivers a relatively high EPA content so you can get at a very minimum around 2 grams (2000 mg) or more a day. My doctor advises at least 4 grams a day of EPA for me... reduces inflammation, keeps blood platelets slippery so they don't clump an form clots.

A good example of a product label showing what to look for is this product by Natural Factors...[www.iherb.com]

Note that one teaspoon delivers 1500 mg EPA so two teapoons gives a really nice dose. It is tasteless other than the mild orange flavoring. Some other brands like Carlson's have lemon flavor. I like the liquid better because that means fewer pills to swallow but capsules are just as good.

Just remember the fishy odor factor that we've recently discussed in another thread. Any odor reminiscent of 'fish' indicates rancidity or oxidation and should be discarded.

Jackie
Elizabeth H.
March 08, 2011 04:21AM
Quite expensive for only 8 oz., there are a lot of oils out there, Carlsons has one, 16 oz. for around 27.00, I thought Carlsons was good.

L
Sam
March 08, 2011 06:18AM
The following is one of many websites advising against the use of Flaxsed oil.

[www.alsearsmd.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login