Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

exercise induced headaches

Posted by Elizabeth H. 
Elizabeth H.
exercise induced headaches
March 04, 2011 01:40PM
My grandaughter, Heather, told me today that she gets a headache after she exercises at her gym. She said not right away but in a few hours, she has gotten migraines once in a while but this isn't a migraine. I have read that if one does get migraines that this kind of headache could be related. She is frustrated as she wants to continue her exercises but doesn't like to get these headaches.

She said she drinks plenty of water, she said when leaving she will eat a banana, I told her to eat some almonds or some cheese instead.

So, we would appreciate any insights, you guys are very wise, thank you.

Liz
Re: exercise induced headaches
March 05, 2011 01:15AM
Magnesium supplements.
Elizabeth H.
March 05, 2011 03:38AM
Jackie:

She has low blood pressure, wont the mag. cause even lower pressure?

L
GeorgeN
March 05, 2011 11:27PM
Liz,

My experience with magnesium would say it will not lead to hypotension. My blood pressure is 94/54 with absolutely no symptoms of hypotension. My magnesium intake from supplements is > 2.2 grams/day elemental.

As always this assumes normal kidney function. Hypermagnesemia is possible, but very rare.

"she gets a headache after she exercises at her gym."

Could you be more specific. Is this hours of intense cardio, mild yoga or what. It might give better indication of the cause, though it can be difficult to pinpoint the cause of headaches.

A simple experiment would be for her to add more mag and see if she gets better or worse. If worse, try something else.

George
lisa s
March 06, 2011 02:08AM
Liz,

In addition to George's advice, have your daughter take her blood pressure before exercising, immediately after, and when/if she experiences these headaches. If she does this for awhile, she may track a trend.

She also says she is staying hydrated, but people often underestimate just how much fluid you lose while exercising, and think they drink plenty, but in fact fall short of replacing it all and become mildly dehydrated anyway.

I hope she feels better,

lisa

Elizabeth H.
March 06, 2011 12:56PM
George:

She does Zumba <www.orlandozumba.com>

I told her to try the magnesium, your BP is low, maybe one gets used to what their BP is.

Liz
Elizabeth H.
March 06, 2011 12:59PM
Lisa:

Right, I told her to get a BP wrist cuff at the sports store, her BP goes up pretty high when she exercises.

Liz
Elizabeth H.
March 06, 2011 01:01PM
Lisa:

Right, I told her to get a BP wrist cuff at the sports store, her BP goes up pretty high when she exercises, but it is low normally, so the Mag. would probably help.

Liz
lisa s
March 06, 2011 02:08PM
Liz,

Sorry about missing the grand in the daughter. However, if she does start tracking BP, mag intake, and really watching her level of hydration, it would be interesting to hear what happens. I can't imagine that if she is otherwise healthy that it can do anything but help.

I wish her well, and keep us posted.

lisa

Elizabeth H.
March 06, 2011 02:15PM
Lisa:

Hi, yep, she is my grandaughter, her heart rate goes up really high, she has had lots of tests and the doctors just come up with Inappropriate Sinus tachy, but the headaches are something new.

I have to correct something in my double posts, her heart rate goes up not her BP.

Liz
GeorgeN
March 06, 2011 03:25PM
Hi Liz,

Your link didn't go live as you have to add the http:// too.
[www.orlandozumba.com]

My wife looked at the videos and suggested it could be muscle related. My wife is subject to headaches & many have a Trigger Point cause. You might wish to read about Myofascial Trigger Points. I've got several posts in this thread: <[www.afibbers.org];, and the associated links.

In many instances, trigger points can be a source of the pain. A key observation is that the source of the pain can be referrered from a (relatively) distant location. For example, a pain in the thumb could be caused by the scalenes muscles in the neck.

I've had good success helping others by releasing these trigger points. The pain can be as painful as any you'd experience.

See: [www.triggerpoints.net] Depending upon the location of the pain, different muscles could refer pain to that area. Common muscles causing headache pain include the Trapezius and
Sternocleidomastoid.

The jumping around activity could cause these trigger points to become irritated. If she has interest, I can supply more information on locating and releasing Trigger Points.

When I first started playing with Trigger Points, I learned techniques that allowed me to release them over a period of weeks. Curing a 10 year knee problem, I thought this a miracle. Later I learned techniques that could release them in 90 seconds or less. The only down side is these techniques were best applied in concert with another person. I thought this was really something.

Now I realize that figuring out the precipitating factor(s) is the key to long lasting success.

Regards,

George

Elizabeth H.
March 07, 2011 12:33PM
Hi George:

Thank you----I am sending Heather the sites that you have posted, nothing is ever simple, is it.

Liz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login