Advanced

how to gain weight

Posted by Nel 
Nel
how to gain weight
March 04, 2011 06:01AM
Hi,
Glad to find this site, thank you Hans.
Does anyone have the problem of trying to gaining weight? I have lost 15 lbs. slowly in the last 2 or 3 years, and I sure didn't need that. I'm 5 feet 6 inches and only weigh 115. I've always been in the 130 range most my life..
I was on prednisone for about 3 years, and That's when I noticed I was losing weight slowly off my arms and legs, but still had the core area. After I got off the prednisone, I started losing on my whole body, I really don't like being this thin..
Anyone know healthy foods I could be eating? I'm drinking ensure....Thanks lot's.....Nel
RalphL
Re: how to gain weight
March 04, 2011 10:02AM
Hi Nel,
Have you had your thyroid numbers checked recently? An overactive thyroid will cause weight loss. Also, taking a steroid will cause you to gain some weight. When you stopped the prednisone, your body probably started to loose muscle mass. You may want to check out some weight gain meal supplements (not meal replacements) and if you are able, you could start with some light, weight training that would increase muscle mass, which is more dense than fat. "Ensure" is good but doesn't have enough calories to cause any weight gain. You also could increase your fat intake (good fat). First and most important would be to get checked out by your MD.
Check out Iherb here <www.iherb.com/search?kw=weight%20gain%20products>.
Cheers,
Ralph.
Nel
Re: how to gain weight
March 05, 2011 11:54AM
Hi Ralph,
My Drs don't seem to find anything wrong with being so thin...I take my thyroid meds..The meds I take for Afib goofed that up..but is better than Afib..
What I would like is just plan good healthy foods like avocado, that I eat all the time, and nuts of all kinds, but nothing seems to do any good..
Maybe now that I'm through with this cataract surgery, I'll calm down and gain..but now it's time to have my drivers written test after 12 years, and I didn't make an appointment so that means standing in lines, that I can't do for too long as I have Polymyalgia. I really goofed up this year so far...
Thanks for the help.......take care..Nel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login