Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My second No-Statin Test and Carleson's

Posted by Ken 
Ken
My second No-Statin Test and Carleson's
March 01, 2011 04:32AM
I have begun my second no-statin trial. I previously reported stopping Vytorin and Gemfibrozil last Nov and seeing my lipid numbers spike. I restarted both Rx meds and the numbers returned to my usual range. I experienced no noticeable ill effects (other than $$). Emphasis on "noticeable".

Based on the themes here and elsewhere, I have begun my second test. No Vytorin or other statin and no Rx to lower trigylcerides. My cardio reluctantly agreed to the test, and aided by suggesting Carleson's Liquid Fish Oil ($25 at Amazon and $21 at Vitamin Shoppe) instead of the more expensive Lovaza Rx fish oil for reduction of trigylcerides. I bought some and it delivers 1600 total EPA/DHA in one teaspoon! Plus, the lemony flavor is very acceptable. Three teaspoons per day gives you the therapeutic dose.

In addition, I am putting a full court press on diet and exercise. I have specifically added almonds, pistachio nuts, blueberries, already take Cranberry (Lite) juice, plus lots of colorful vegetables, cauliflower for fau-mashed potatoes, minimum red meat, mostly chicken some fish, lettuce salads with colorful veggie additions. Fitday is helping manage calories and all nutrients and I am trying to balance fats, carbs (good carbs), and protein. Using Whey protein powder to balance up the carb/protein ratio at meals and snacks. I continue all supplements for post afib procedure, plus additional anti oxidents and anti inflammatories. Oh, yes, resumed regular weight and aerobic exercise (post afib surgery kept me down for a long while).

I feel I am literally doing everything I can do to manage my lipids numbers by natural means. Will it be enough?? I test again in five weeks and if the numbers are not good (yes, debate about what is good), then I am very likely to resume the Rx.

Any reactions would be appreciated.
Ken
Re: My second No-Statin Test and Carleson's
March 01, 2011 06:08AM
Ken - I'm working right now on putting into readable form some of my notes from a teleconference on the function of cholesterol...why it becomes elevated in some people etc. If all goes well, I may post it yet today or maybe tomorrow. It should be useful information to you.

Lowering carbohydrate (starches and sugars) intake (increasing protein and healthy fats) will reduce your triglyceride level...like magic. So will brisk walking for 30 minutes a day...that's the easy one.

As for the Omega 3's, I don't think you can go wrong with the 1600 mg in one teaspoon... You need to read the label to make sure the 1600 is for the EPA and not the total. You need at a very minimum 2000 mg EPA daily..and really, from 4 - 6000 mg daily is optimal.

What are your anti-oxidants and antiinflammatories? How much in a dose?

In the notes I'll post, there is a list of important tests for a Cardiovascular Risk assessment ... be sure that you know all of those numbers. If you haven't been tested, then request them. These are also the ones my Functional Medicine MD recommends monitoring.

I'll be back.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login