Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Book: The Statin Damage Crisis

Posted by Erling 
Erling
Book: The Statin Damage Crisis
February 26, 2011 11:57PM
Author: Duane Graveline, MD, MPH, retired astronaut, USAF Flight Surgeon, Family Practice physician. [www.spacedoc.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Reviewer Betty Coslett writes:

I just finished reading Dr. Duane Graveline's latest book "The Statin Damage Crisis". I absolutely devoured it. It describes exactly what I am living and makes me feel very vindicated in my arguments with narrow minded, tunnel visioned doctors.

I recently went to the neurologist again; he said they had done all the things there were to do; I could repeat my muscle biopsy (hospital surgery), they could take a piece from a different place and it "might" show something else. No, there will not be another muscle biopsy. I still have a big scar on my thigh from the last one. The biopsy didn't prove anything that I didn't already know, but confirmed I have a "muscle myopathy of undetermined origin". The neurologist agreed with me that it is "probably" caused by statins. He also told me they are seeing more and more of this. My rheumatologist agrees it is probably statin damage. My nurse practitioner and family doctor all agree that it is probably caused by statins. My muscles continue to atrophy and feel like mush. I have so much weakness, and both of these are progressing. After reading Dr. Graveline's book I know I'm not alone in fighting this battle. And it is a battle.

I took statins for four years after my coronary bypass surgery and had such muscle pain, cramps, and fatigue I thought my life was over. My heart doctor told me I would die if I didn't take statins. I finally decided it wasn't worth feeling like that, so I quit the statins. Three years later the pain isn't quite as bad, but it comes and goes, the weakness is getting worse, the fatigue is better some days than others, but never entirely goes away. The lack of energy is very difficult.

Dr. Graveline has done such a wonderful service with his work and book by sharing it with all of us who suffer from taking statins. Because of him I have taken Co-Q10 for several years. The doctors are just now beginning to recognize the need for it. He also gives us help on what supplements may be of benefit to us. I have just placed another order for three more copies of this new book. It's too important not to share it with medical staff and friends.

If I allowed myself, I could be very bitter about this, but it wouldn't accomplish a thing. So I look forward to Doc's newsletters and any more new books he writes, knowing someone out there is trying to help us. I felt like I was so alone in this battle for so long. This book gives me courage and lets me know there are many more out there fighting the same things that I am. God bless them.

For anyone considering or taking statins this book is a must!

Murray L.
Re: Book: The Statin Damage Crisis
March 22, 2011 04:55AM
So the question then arises....

What does one do or take in place of statin drugs to reduce cholestorol? I was at my GP last week for regular blood tests and he noted that my Cholestorol was not where he wanted it to be and asked if I had run out of Atorvastatin, which I have been taking for years.

After reading all of the comments on statin drugs on this board I would very much like to discontinue using them, but then what?

What are the ramifications of stopping? What are the alternatives?
March 22, 2011 06:51AM
Murray - did you happen to read the post.... Important Functions of Cholesterol?

And, also the recent Oxidative Stress post... that it's the OXIDIZED LDL cholesterol that causes the problem? (both are here in this General Health Forum.

Cholesterol is not the enemy - it's produced for various important functions and if one's cholesterol is 'elevated'...what ever that means, then it's because the body has detected a reason to produce it.

We need to learn to manage oxidative stress or free radical damage more and worry less about cholesterol "numbers." This oxidative stress damage is found to be associated with atrial fibrillation among many other adverse health conditions.

Jackie
Dee
March 23, 2011 10:55AM
Jackie I can't take statins. I get terrible muscle and bone aches from them

When my total chol. got up to 370 I suggested to my Dr that I start on OTC

niacin, the time released did nothing. But when I started on the regular

release my C. started coming down. That was 3 or 4 years ago, its been

running around 237 or 225 and thats as low as it gets. I had a test done

that showed the size of the lpa and the hdl. The results of the test

showed all bad sizes, I can't remember the name of the test [old timers]

However there is nothing I can do to change the size of the particles, I

just have to live the way I doing. Now I don't worry about what I eat,

just enjoy life, and now that I don't have fultters or afib anymore [so far]

I feel I can get down to enjoying my life.

Dee
Murray L.
May 07, 2011 05:08PM
Jackie, et. al.
Stopped taking the statins and my cholestorol levels went all wonky. The GP thought I had run out of Atorvastatin and RX'd some more for me, still sitting in the bottle.

Here is the punch line. The cardiologist was ticked that I did not have blood taken two weeks ago as my GP was away; so I had a full spread of blood tests taken Wednesday with results faxed to the cardiologist on Thursday. I got a copy when I went over to his office for info and requisitions for the hospital. After peeking at my INR - a happy number, I started looking at all of the other numbers.

Holy Mambo Jumbo Batman! My Cholestorol numbers are all within range and ratios (indicated on the blood test report sheet). I won't bother telling him that my change in diet and supplementation has probably corrected things for me.

Not only that.... they did a NON fasting A1c and IT was in the happy face range as well. After ten years of being told I am diabetic the blood test A1c number 'suggests that I am at RISK for becoming diabetic' and this is NON fasting!

I need to start asking for more and varied blood tests more often. There are a couple I'd like to have done and I think my GP may just go along with things for me.

I am blown away by the results, in especially the cholestorol numbers and ratios. Sans statin drugs. I can only imagine the damage they have done over the years.

Now I am wondering if good eating and supplementation will help repair just some of the damage the drug companies have done.

Thanks for the input guys. Please keep it coming. We are all grateful.
Erling
May 07, 2011 07:11PM
The Benefits of High Cholesterol Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD. (http://www.ravnskov.nu/uffe.htm)

"People with high cholesterol live the longest. This statement seems so incredible that it takes a long time to clear one's brainwashed mind to fully understand its importance. Yet the fact that people with high cholesterol live the longest emerges clearly from many scientific papers. Consider the finding of Dr. Harlan Krumholz of the Department of Cardiovascular Medicine at Yale University, who reported in 1994 that old people with low cholesterol died twice as often from a heart attack as did old people with a high cholesterol.1 Supporters of the cholesterol campaign consistently ignore his observation, or consider it as a rare exception, produced by chance among a huge number of studies finding the opposite.

"But it is not an exception; there are now a large number of findings that contradict the lipid hypothesis. To be more specific, most studies of old people have shown that high cholesterol is not a risk factor for coronary heart disease. This was the result of my search in the Medline database for studies addressing that question.2 Eleven studies of old people came up with that result, and a further seven studies found that high cholesterol did not predict all-cause mortality either."

(Continue: [www.afibbers.org])

May 08, 2011 08:31AM
Murray - I hope you continue to improve. Whether statin damage can be fully restored is not is unknown at this time but there seems to be some promise indicated by Dr. Graveline... I'm following his lead and using the supplements he discusses.... lots of CoQ10, carnitine, ribose and about a month ago the PQQ. All we can do is try. Jackie
Dee
June 13, 2011 06:24AM
In Dr. Sinatra's latest book he claims D ribose helps myalgia caused by statins
I'll have to see it to believe it.

Dee
June 13, 2011 07:37AM
Dee - the important point is that myalgia is a symptom of something far more serious that comes as a result of statin damage... yes, you may relieve some of the pain but that doesn't get at the core issue.
Jackie
lisa s
June 13, 2011 03:44PM
Hey, for what it is worth, today, on one of the "major 3" tv networks, I saw an ad for what appeared to be Co-q10 in conjunction with statins. I wasn't really paying attention as I was cooking at the time.

The brand name ended with a "-nol" which would lead one to think this was ubiquinol rather than ubiquinone, and they said something about it being X-times more effective than regular Co-q10.

My point here isn't to point out how poor my multi-tasking is ( it sucks, btw), but to show that perhaps someone, somewhere, is listening.

All, perhaps, may not be lost,

lisa

Dee
June 14, 2011 12:15AM
Jackie,

I feel you are exactly right. I was surprised that Dr Sinatra put that in his book. I wonder if he did any real research on that quote.

Dee

June 14, 2011 12:50AM
Dee- My thought is that Dr. Sinatra, when he was actively functioning as a cardiologist, was bound or obligated to follow mainstream medicine's lead regarding statin use. In the recent teleconference on electropollution, he said he had left his practice in 07 and was now in the process of educating anyone who would listen on the dangers of EP. In that interview, he also commented that "statins were the biggest scam of the century" and then adjusted that to "the biggest myth of the century." Apparently the muzzle is off. I was surprised because of his statin comments in his book, newsletters etc. and thought to myself...wow, that's a turnaround!

Regarding the ribose helping myalgia. I can attest that ribose definitely helps my weakened/painful muscles as a result of statin damage from years ago. I didn't notice much impairment except for being unable to hop on one foot... but in my later years, developed painful muscles which was diagnosed as "fibromyalgia".... I did years of treatment for that with various physicians and eventually got over most of the pain but the weakness persisted and now that I'm much older, it's very evident that the results of the damage persist, unfortunatley.

Ribose wasn't commercially available until only a few years ago. When I first read about it, I was anxious to try it and found it was 'like a miracle' in helping with the aches and even some of the weakness. At first I used the full dose as directed by BioEnergy the people who patented d-ribose. (15 grams in divided doses)- Now I use 5 grams, twice a day which keeps me comfortable. If I stop, the myalgia comes back so I know it's effective. that and vitamin D3 help significantly.

Most interesting was the effect ribose had on stabilizing how my heart felt - even after ablation. It's definitely a needed nutrient for afibbers and former afibbers because of the assist it provides for heart energy production.

Jackie
Erling
June 14, 2011 01:45AM
Dee,

Dr. Sinatra's "real research" on ribose is Chapter 6 of his book on Metabolic Cardiology D-Ribose: The Sugar of Life -- The Missing link. This is 32 pages of D-ribose science and its history.

Erling

Dee
June 14, 2011 04:13AM
Jackie,

That is very interesting about your fibromyalgia. My primary Doc has been treating his fibro patients with ribose with great success.

I am very disappointed in Dr Sinatra. But he does have a lot of good tips, I just got his new book. I guess we take what we need and leave the rest.

Erling,

I'm heading right into that chapter-----thanks

My Doc does not want me to take statins even with my high LP[a], I also got terrible pain when I did take statins.

Dee
Erling
June 14, 2011 07:44AM
Dee: "I am very disappointed in Dr Sinatra."

Could you please explain why? Is it something in his science? His past? If its his past use of statins in his practice, your disappointment should be with the entire BigMedical/BigPharma/BigFDA complex, which like a religion has everyone from med-school instructors to the consumers of the Great Cholesterol Con singing from the same book of lies.

Regarding ribose and myalgia, the science is perfectly clear and straightforward:

- statins inhibit synthesis of ATP,
- an ATP deficit causes muscle weakness, pain, myalgia,
- ribose is a critical componant in the synthesis of new ATP.

Erling

June 14, 2011 09:09AM
Dee - what we all need to remember is not to use statins for any reason. It's now the "standard of care" so it's up to us to make the educated choices so we aren't harmed by "modern" medicine.

Jackie
Erling
June 14, 2011 10:36AM
Well said Jackie -

The necessary first step in making educated choices is overcoming indoctrinated thinking - which is exactly what Dr. Sinatra did:

Dr. Stephen Sinatra - From Cholesterol Choirboy to Non-Believer (http://www.spacedoc.net/stephen_sinatra_1)

"Like Dr. Graveline, I have been reporting on the dangers of cholesterol-lowering statin drugs for years. In my clinical practice I weaned many new patients off statins who had no business being on them in the first place.

Many were experiencing side effects that their doctors either dismissed or didn't recognize as related to statins. After starting such patients on a program of targeted nutritional supplementation, the vast majority were able to maintain good heart and overall health without the need of statins.

I didn't prescribe statins to patients unless they had serious heart disease, and then not in every case. I certainly didn't prescribe statins to bring down some total cholesterol number which often has no significance.

In my monthly newsletter, and lectures to laymen and doctors alike, I have been explaining why I no longer buy into the cholesterol-lowering frenzy that has turned the medical profession into one big vending machine for statin makers. . . ." (read on)

Dee
June 15, 2011 12:46AM
Erling, it seems to me he is sitting on the fence about statins. When I first started reading his health letters and blogs I thought he was against statins. But I was wrong.

Maybe he is taking a conservative view on the issue, but I feel statins should be avoided at all costs. This is a quote from his latest health letter.

".They announced that the high 80 mg dose can cause muscle myopathy, or weakening—especially in the first year of use. They also said that no new patients should be put on the 80 mg dose.

While I applaud the FDA for coming out of the closet and saying that high-dose statin drugs can be dangerous, their warning only tells half the story. Myopathy (or muscle weakening) is the most common side-effect of statin drugs, but it’s only the tip of the iceberg. Statin drugs can also cause memory problems, cognition difficulties, liver problems, polyneuropathy, and muscle weakness. But it’s only the muscle and liver problems that get the most press.

All of these additional side-effects are under-communicated by physicians to their patients—and are underreported by the patients themselves. The lack of knowledge on these side-effects is nothing short of frightening. I’ve seen patients who told me it was hard for them to get out of their dinner chair because their muscles hurt, or they were so weak that they thought they had the flu—but no one connected their issues to statin use. I even had one woman tell me she needed glasses because she couldn’t focus her eyes, and as soon as I took her off of statins her eyes got better.

So, what’s the bottom line for you?

First of all, I agree with the FDA that no one should be put on high-dose statin drugs. Yet, I am in favor of lesser dose statin drugs for middle-aged males with coronary artery disease, because this group has the most to gain from these medications—so the benefits outweigh the risks. But there’s something I need to clarify here: The gain isn’t the cholesterol-lowering effect produced by statin drugs." Rather, it’s the fact that statin drugs thin the blood and reduce inflammation, which is the real way to combat coronary artery disease."

The second thing I would like to see the FDA do is say that statin drugs should not be used for cholesterol lowering in younger to middle-aged women—because the benefits are not worth the risks in those cases. As I’ve been saying for years, treating cholesterol numbers alone is poor medicine."
Dee
June 15, 2011 01:03AM
I have a question that I have been unable to find the answer to.

On my last liproprotein test one of the values said that my body has an extremely low absortion rate of cholestrol and extremely low rate of making cholestrol!!!!!!!!!!Why do I have high cholestrol??

I am searching for the answer.

Maybe my body is a closed circut?------LOL Or maybe there is no answer yet.

Dee
June 15, 2011 10:03AM
Dee - On managing the elevated Lp(a)… it is commonly noted that it is a response to free-radical damage or oxidative stress which can be controlled or managed by antioxidants such as vitamin C, CoQ10, glutathione.

You may want to consider using the liposomal delivery form of vitamin C – See Thomas Levy, MD,’s comments on this… Erling brought it up in this thread: <[www.afibbers.org]>

Also, take time to review the post
Oxidative Stress/Cellular Damage Affects Everyone Oxidative Stress/Cellular Damage Affects Everyone
<[www.afibbers.org]>

Other clips:

…”Lp(a), according to Drs. Pauling and Rath, is the body's way of repairing its damaged vessel wall that has micro leakages caused at least in part by free radical damage and vitamin deficiencies (more specifically vitamin C) Humans do not make any endogenous vitamin C and have no self-repair mechanism of the vascular system. Lp(a) is used by the body as a surrogate vitamin C, so to say. Lp(a), unfortunately, has a sticky characteristic and adheres to each other, forming an atherosclerotic plaque over time. The body, at the interim, is unaware. As long as the damage persists due to free radical presence (either from improper diet, aging, pollution, lack of vitamins, or toxins), the body responds by making more cholesterol endogenously in the liver, feeding a viscous cycle of ever increasing Lp(a)."
[www.drlam.com]

How Antioxidant Nutrients Protect Against Heart Disease
by Richard A. Passwater, Ph. D.
This article discusses the very latest findings on how antioxidant nutrients prevent heart disease, and then forms the background for a series of articles that explain in lay terms, "how" this occurs. An important point of my new book, The New Supernutrition, is that heart disease is not caused so much by what you eat as by what you don't eat. [1] It is difficult for the average person to understand that the nutrients such as beta-carotene, vitamins A, C and E, and the mineral selenium are more important to heart health than how much cholesterol is in their diet. Merely presenting the evidence is not sufficient as the public needs some easy-to-understand mental images so they can grasp the concept.

1.Lipoprotein(a) [Lp(a)] is one of the best markers of heart disease risk, and it in turn is controlled by vitamin C.
Lipoprotein(a)

As for LDL and HDL relationships, a better marker for heart disease risk is the lipoprotein(a) [Lp(a)]. There is no correlation between Lp(a) levels and cholesterol plasma levels, and in heart patients having normal blood cholesterol levels, the only risk factor found is elevated Lp(a) or decreased vitamin C and vitamin E levels.

Drs. Matthias Rath and Linus Pauling have published a revealing paper linking heart disease, Lp(a) and vitamin C deficiency. Lp(a) shares with LDL its lipid and apoprotein composition -- mainly apoprotein B-100 (apo cool smiley, but the unique thing about Lp(a) is an additional glycoprotein, apoprotein(a) or apo(a). This difference will be discussed in a later installment of this series.
Lp(a) levels are elevated in heart disease patients. Lp(a) blood levels above 30 milligrams per deciliter of blood doubles the risk of coronary heart disease. If, in addition, LDL is elevated, the risk is increased by a factor of five. There is no correlation between Lp(a) levels and blood cholesterol levels. In heart disease patients having normal blood cholesterol levels, the only risk factor is found to be elevated Lp(a).

Lp(a) can be normalized by vitamin C. [31] Another 1990 report showed that vitamin C reduces risk for heart disease. [32]

Oxidized LDL and Antioxidants
As discussed in last month's column, the initiation of atherosclerosis results from injury to the layer of endothelial calls which normally form the luminal surface of blood vessel walls.

Such injury disturbs local vascular homeostasis resulting in platelet deposition, aggregation and release of factors which promote smooth muscle proliferation and eventual fibrosis. The damaged endothelium also becomes permeable to lipoproteins, particularly oxidized LDL and macrophages which invade the site of injury, accumulate cholesterol as cholesterylester, and develop into foam cells and then fatty streaks.
[www.drpasswater.com]

Dee
June 16, 2011 04:45AM
Jackie,

Thanks so much for the very useful message. I am rereading it again for the third time now.

I just started taking large doses of C, lysine and proline in Feb. I know the body sometimes takes awhile to work ridding the arteries of plaque.

I thank you for the needed encouragement and conformation that I am on the right track.

Dee
June 17, 2011 02:57AM
Dee - I just posted on Arterial Scurvy... and the details in that article on lipoprotein(a) will be of interest to you. It's a well-done, lengthy article that packs in a huge amount of very important information.

Jackie

<[www.afibbers.org];
Neil Ahern
June 19, 2011 09:44AM
Thank You for this discussion.

I wrote the following to my Cardiologist recently - He is 3 hours from me. I get to see him again in July. I live in a very remote part of Maine - by choice.

To my Cardiologist:

ADDING TO MY LIST OF INTOLERANCE - is a very sad and angry complication from Crestor. Until " I " - took myself off of Crestor 20 MG - on April 10, 2011 - within this past year [as a time frame] and more importantly - since taking Crestor - 2008 - I have awakened 3-4 times a night to urinate. This interruption of a night's rest - has cost me dearly. I was told since 2008 - that my Sleep Apnea - was the cause of me waking up to urinate - so often during the night. I am not in treatment for Sleep Apnea. I couldn't tolerate the CPAP Machine.

I now - since I stopped Crestor - Sleep throughout the night without having to get up to urinate - but just - One Time. I have been going through the misery of this Crestor - causing me grief - for 3 years.

What Crestor has done to me:

Big Time - Memory Loss
Persistent and Continuous Stiff Necks, Back and Body Muscle aches - throughout my body.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Anal Incontinence

All of which stopped - the day I stopped Crestor - and nothing else has been added to the equation - like Diet Changes - new medications nor Vitamins or Minerals.

My problems have been from Crestor. So I think. I was on Lipitor and Zocor since 2003.........so that's 8 years on Statins - and in my opinion - Crestor has caused this total breakdown of my health - in the areas I mention above. This past 3 years on Crestor - I attribute to the Memory Loss.

I'm dying daily from CHF with an EF of 10-15% - with inoperable CAD

But Life is Grand - with my 9 y.o. Golden - Sabrina

This year - I am not able to do inclines any longer - when walking Sabrina. So a short drive away - I go to a flat Park where she can have a swim.

Life is good - when you are off Statins.

Jackie - As always............Kind Regards

See Sabrina Here: [tinyurl.com]
June 20, 2011 12:39AM
Hi Neil... and thanks for the photo of Sabrina.... what a beauty! I'm so glad you have her as a companion.

Thanks also for writing about your symptoms while using Crestor. I become very angry every time I read similar accounts since doctors mandate these drugs and expect people to put up with terrible symptoms they wouldn't tolerate themselves.

You are a special person and I wish you well.

Jackie
June 20, 2011 12:10PM
Dee - Erling has also mentioned Jeffrey Dach MD
check out this link....
[www.zimbio.com]
Dee
June 21, 2011 06:22AM
Thanks Jackie,
Seems I'm spending more time on the puter than ever. :] Reading all this wonderful stuff about the "little a".

I donated blood Saturday, and my total Chol. was 216 !!! That is the lowest its been in 20 years. So I'm hoping thats a good sign, that was non-fasting. I don't go for another lipoprotien test until Sept.

Dee
Murray L.
June 23, 2011 03:36AM
Had an appointment with my GP last week and had a bunch of my Rx's refilled with repeats. I specifically did NOT request Atorvistatin (Lipitor) and on my med list had it crossed out in red to indicate a change in meds.

Lo and behold! I get to the pharmacy to pick up the meds that were renewed (Metoprolol, etc.) and when I get home and open them, there it is, yet again, staring me in my face. Do the doc's have a quota of Atorvistatin that they are required to Rx? Cuz staring me in the face was a three month supply of Lipitor/Atorvistatin with repeats for a whole year! I now command the world supply of Lipitor in my medicine cupboard.

5.44 Total (borderline)
3.98 LDL (borderline, not yet considered high)
0.69 HDL (poor, low)
1.6 Triglycerides (optimal)

I need to eat/supplement to get my HDL up and my LDL down. Working on that. These readings are non fasting mmol/L. These readings are a month or more after ceasing statins.

Must get educated to get my HDL up and LDL down. Yet another project.

Good thing I'm independantly wealthy. Sic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login