Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Olive Oil is NOT Health Food but Sick Food

Posted by Todd 
Todd
Olive Oil is NOT Health Food but Sick Food
February 01, 2011 04:36AM
I saw this video and was wondering what you guys think?

<[curezone.com];

According to this guy olive oil is not that healthy as we have been told.

so what now?

Re: Olive Oil is NOT Health Food but Sick Food
February 01, 2011 06:52AM
He doesn't say olive oil in itself is unhealthy, it is thinking we can have as much as we want and eat whatever other unhealthy food we want, and the olive oil will make everything healthy for us. Apparently he thinks that is how we interpret the Mediterranean diet.

He recommends all things in moderation, and lots of fruit and veggies with some olive oil and lemon as the salad dressing and a little fish for protein. I thought =that= was the Mediterranean diet.
February 01, 2011 10:00AM
Todd - Remember that olive oil is high in Omega 9's, and while healthy, we don't need huge amounts of n9's.

Olive oil is to be used cold. Cold-pressed, extra virgin is the best and it's not recommended to fry with it since it destroys the antioxidants. High heat temps of any oil on foods cause heart problems. If one must fry, then it should be very quick and use a fully saturated oil like coconut.
[products.mercola.com]

Also, I believe there is a good review article in the Weston Price website by Mary Enig, PhD and Sally Fallon...if it's still available....something like
...The Skinny on Fats. Dr. Enig is recognized world wide for her research on fats.

Jackie
Elizabeth H.
February 01, 2011 10:16AM
Depends on who you are reading and believe, I use olive oil for cooking and also on salads. It wasn't too long ago that coconut oil was very bad, now its good, give me a break.

Liz
Todd
February 01, 2011 07:06PM
D --- if you do & D--- if you don't. The only problem with coconut oil is
$$$ $70 gal on one site. And it gets higher with the ultra premium stuff.
He did have a point about ,when people are put in extreme survival mode,
they are not eating for pleasure /over eating etc. Like we all eat.
Our wireless lifestyles ain't helping either.
Take everything you read with a grain of salt / sea salt

Stumbled across this looking for worlds oldest people .
THE WORLD'S OLDEST: ALL SMOKERS <--- do a search :-)

February 02, 2011 02:05AM
Todd - check out Tropical Traditions for coconut oil. I buy mine from there and a quart lasts an eternity. Coconut oil has always been known to be healthy. It's the uninformed who think otherwise.

The idea is not to use frying or high heat cooking. It's the high heat effect on foods that cause the Advanced Glycation Endproducts (AGEs) that cause health problems.
[www.tropicaltraditions.com]

Jackie
lisa s
February 02, 2011 03:03AM
It's not so much that the coconut oil is unhealthy, it's because all too often it's hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated. Anything that has been hydrogenated should be avoided like the plague. Our bodies are adapted to deal with natural oils like nut oils, olive oil or even saturated fats like butter. You are better off eating lard than shortening or margarine. The added hydrogen bond is not something our bodies can handle well.

Unfortunately, manufacturers use these types of oil because they are much more shelf-stable than unsaturated oils (which go rancid quickly because that bond is left open and darn-near anything will be attracted to it with nasty results). All the more reason to make and consume as much from scratch. That way you control what it contains.

If you buy anything that comes in a package, it's just one more thing to make sure the product doesn't contain (along with high-fructose corns syrup AKA corn sugar, msg, artificial coloring just to name a few). It shows up in places you would never figure.

lisa

Elizabeth H.
February 02, 2011 04:48AM
Jackie:

If I think other than you, I am uniformed, according to you, I think that is a very closed mindset. Coconut oil in the past was to be avoided because it is a hydrogenated oil, as lisa as stated. Coconut oil has now become a good thing, and perhaps it is, I remember when canola oil was good, palm oil etc. Fads come and go and in the meantime we are all lab rats.

Liz
February 02, 2011 05:26AM
Liz - you just have to study up on the words and the meaning before you jump to that conclusion. True virgin coconut oil is not hydrogenated; never was.

[www.all-about-virgin-coconut-oil.com]
Elizabeth H.
February 02, 2011 07:53AM
These sites that you have given sell coconut products, could be they are biased.

Liz
February 02, 2011 09:12AM
Liz - it's better to do your own research and learn the facts about the various oils including coconut oil rather than jumping to erroneous conclusions or making unsupported comments and misleading other readers.

Jackie

Mary Enig, PhD, FACN is a world-renowned researcher in the field of fats and oils.

"Before proceeding to the cholesterol questions we would like to provide a little biographical information about Mary Enig so that you will be in a better position to judge the credibility of her views.

Dr. Mary G. Enig, a nutritionist/biochemist of international renown for her research on the nutritional aspects of fats and oils, is a consultant, clinician, and the Director of the Nutritional Sciences Division of Enig Associates, Inc., Silver Spring, Maryland. Dr. Enig, a consultant on nutrition to individuals, industry, and state and federal governments, is a licensed practitioner in Maryland and the District of Columbia. She has served as a Contributing Editor of the Scientific Journal of Clinical Nutrition and a Consulting Editor of the Journal of the American College of Nutrition.

Dr. Enig has authored numerous journal publications, mainly on fats and oils research and nutrient/drug interactions, and is a well-known invited lecturer at scientific meetings and a popular interviewee on TV and radio shows about nutrition. She was an early and articulate critic of the use of trans fatty acids and advocated their inclusion in nutritional labeling; the scientific mainstream is now challenging the food product industry's use of trans-containing partially hydrogenated vegetable oils.

She received her Ph.D. in Nutritional Sciences from the University of Maryland, College Park and is a fellow of The American College of Nutrition, a member of The American College of Nutrition, a member of The American Society for Nutritional Sciences, and President of the Maryland Nutritionists Association."

Biographical info quoted from the cover of Know Your Fats.
[www.coconutoil-online.com]

List of some of Dr. Enig's studies:
[www.coconutoil.com]

Start with this one:
[www.coconutoil.com]
Elizabeth H.
February 02, 2011 10:23AM
Jackie:

I havn't read everything you have posted as yet, I want to say that I wasn't for or against coconut oil in the beginning, I use olive oil and you made the statement that olive oil wasn't good to cook with at high heat, but to use coconut oil, well I use olive oil, and I will continue to use olive oil.

I give more credit to the readers of this board, I am sure I don't mislead them, I thought this board was for our ideas and comments from all, whether we agree with them or not. I could post URLs from medical scources that say coconut oil is not good for us but there is too much really important things going on in the world to worry about using coconut oil or olive oil.

Liz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login