Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strange happenings in texts?

Posted by Erling 
lisa s
Re: Strange happenings in texts?
January 12, 2011 03:09PM
Marian,

I'm so glad to hear that someone else is paying attention. Right now, I feel as if it is only a half dozen or so of us, and wish I knew how to spread the word. It not only fills a need to discuss issues that are important to AFers, but that are slightly off-topic, and, sometimes (as this thread reveals) it's a way to blow off steam with humorous comments.

I hope you keep looking and posting here. Hopefully it will catch on!

Hans,

Marian says I can put my feet down, now ;-)

lisa

lisa s
January 15, 2011 11:56AM
Why are some "boxes" bigger than the rest? These boxes aren't able to be enlarged so I can read them without becoming too big for the screen. This only happens with a few posters, but those posters don't always manifest this way.

For example DickI appears most often this way

<[www.afibbers.org];

Maybe DickI or others who show up this way can clue us in.

Thanks,

lisa

GeorgeN
January 15, 2011 12:59PM
Hi Lisa,

The issue in the referenced post is the 3 line live link at the end of the post.

A way for a post author to avoid this is to convert the link to a shortened url.

There are several services that do this (including, but not limited to:

[bit.ly]
[tiny.cc]
[TinyURL.com]

Once posted, there is nothing the reader can do.

George
lisa s
January 16, 2011 08:06AM
Erling,

Now the weird symbols in your posts are appearing on my computer! They were not before. Is it spreading?

It makes me wonder if I am going to eventually lose my ability to post the word job. I have only used it occasionally, but I cherish the ability to do so ;-)

lisa

GeorgeN
January 16, 2011 08:23AM
Lisa,

If you are having issues typing posts into Word and then doing a copy/paste to the board, suggest you use Notepad instead. It does not use formatting, so should avoid this issue. Alternatively, you could save the document in Word as a txt document, thereby eliminating formatting characters.

George
lisa s
January 16, 2011 08:44AM
George,

I haven't had any problems posting anything, but when Erling first brought the weird symbol issue up, I was not able to see the weird symbols when I read his posts. Now they appear when I read them. It makes me wonder what is going on, that's all.

lisa

Erling
January 16, 2011 08:46AM
Gak! - my computer is a carrier! :~o

lisa s
January 16, 2011 08:55AM
Erling,

Gosh! I hope not, as I said earlier, I use a Mac, and if stuff is starting to spread to Macs, we're all in trouble :-( BTW what does h*** mean? It doesn't seem to be a cuss word.

lisa

Erling
January 16, 2011 09:46AM
Lisa,

Yea, big trouble!

By h*** I meant heck, well more like h***, actually.

But the symbol weirdnesses in the post are from cut/paste from Word, just as George explains.

Also, I now understand that 'signators' isn't a word! (it's a learn as you go deal). The list of signers is impressive.

I hope you read that entire ICQA letter to the FDA. To think that by 2001 Merck had already taken out two patents for combining CoQ10 with a statin in one capsule, and chose never to act on it! What misery that would have avoided...

Erling

lisa s
January 16, 2011 10:08AM
Erling,

I feel like an igit. The only word I could come up with was "hype". Life in general is a "learn as you go deal". I try to actually do that. Sometimes, I succeed.

lisa

Erling
January 16, 2011 01:10PM
Lisa,

Love that! Well I'm an igit, cuz "hype" is actually a better meaning of h*** than h***, which could be offensive to some - if you know what I mean.

Erling

PeggyM
January 16, 2011 07:58PM
To me, the present color scheme appears as peach and light blue, and looks ok to me, no complaints. About the stars, they replace the word ****wherever it appears. Some mischievous person with too much time on their hands, having recently lost their job? Or just the usual pack of gremlins, having ridden the electron stream to a great new locale?
PeggyM
lisa s
January 17, 2011 02:17PM
Peggy,

It gets curiouser and curiouser, you posted and it showed up as both " ****" and "job". Are you Immune, and posted with the stars to show a point and "job" to show another point or are you semi-Immune and it was a fortunate (point-making) coincidence?

lisa

PeggyM
January 26, 2011 10:53PM
Don't know why that happened, other than blaming it on giggling gremlins with too much time on their hands.
PeggyM
January 28, 2011 04:56AM
ok, i have a mac, so i'm going to try this. someone is doing a ****on us i think.
January 28, 2011 04:59AM
nope, macs are not immune. let's try (job) in round brackets, [job] in square brackets

Job capitalized, JOB all caps, {job} in brace brackets
lisa s.
January 28, 2011 07:48AM
I just got a new phone, so now I can acess this site. We'll see what kind of ****this does!

lisa

p.s. Maybe Peggy is right, someone does have too much time on her hands ;-)

January 28, 2011 02:34PM
****, good job! unjob job.
January 28, 2011 02:36PM
interesting, the first one was j o b s . what was different about that? ****
lisa s
January 28, 2011 02:48PM
Evidently, no rhyme or reason! I'm still waiting for the computer geeks to chime in and solve this, but in the meantime, it continues to be a humorous vent. Eventually, this thread will reach a million replies :-)

What's even weirder, in the preview on the phone, ****appeared, but not online.
lisa

lisa s
January 28, 2011 02:50PM
I'm no longer immune :-( My phone infected me?

lisa s
February 17, 2011 01:10AM
Does anybody know how to edit a post? An example is:

[www.afibbers.org]

I'm assuming that Tom edited his own post, not Hans.

Thanks,

lisa

February 17, 2011 10:16AM
Hi Lisa,

On your own posts there are two lines in the lower right hand corner of the post - they say Reply to this Message and Edit my Post. Just click on Edit my Post and you get a chance to edit your message.

Marg
lisa s
February 17, 2011 10:52AM
Marg,

In the flat view, I only see "Reply To This Message". In threaded view, it doesn't have that option in the post. Neither view has "Edit my Post". My first thought was it must be a Mac thing, but you have a Mac, so I guess it isn't that.

Any ideas?

lisa

February 18, 2011 01:23PM
Lisa,

I can't explain that! In flat view each of my posts has "Edit My Post" right under "Reply To This Message." (How did you underline that?)

You're not looking at other peoples' posts for it, are you? It is only on your own posts.

Marg

This is my edit, I did it the day after my post appeared.

Post Edited (02-19-11 13:32)
lisa s
February 18, 2011 02:20PM
Marg,

Nope, I'm looking at my own posts. My husband, Mike, who works in IT, thought it might be a browser issue, so we tried Safari, Firefox, and IE. We tried it on a couple of other Macs, a PC, and 3 phones. No luck.

The only question I have, at this point is, are you an Afib Report subscriber? Maybe that gives some extra level of control? (sorry, Hans *chagrin*. Laziness, and not so little amount of cheapness, if that isn't an oxymoron) I am changing that first thing tomorrow. Your site should not be taken for granted! You do us all a wonderful service, and I'm sure it isn't free for you to do so.

Now, I'm going to sound like I know a lot, but I don't really :-) If you want to underline something, enclose it with [u ] whatever it is [ /u] omitting the spaces. I actually learned this earlier on this thread, thanks to GeorgeN. George had a few more tricks to reveal up thread, too. If you want to make a hyper-link enclose it in < > (omitting the spaces). That's thanks to Erling. Maybe Jackie will tell us how to make the question mark in the black diamond.

lisa

Hans Larsen
February 19, 2011 03:09AM
Hello Lisa,

Thank you for your kind words and for becoming a subscriber. The only way you can change your posting is to "Preview" it before you finally post it. Once it has been posted on the board, the only person able to edit any posting is me, the moderator.

Do you want a refund!!?? :~)

Hans

February 19, 2011 07:35AM
Hans,

OK, now I'm really confused. I just edited my post that I posted yesterday. Do I have some special privileges? I'm not even an Afib Report subscriber. How come I can edit? And I hope I don't wake up tomorrow and find that that capability has disappeared.

Now to try [underlining/u]

Marg
February 19, 2011 07:38AM
underline
lisa s
February 19, 2011 11:18AM
Hans,

This is money well spent! I've been initiating my supplement order through you, all along, and have been well pleased. Now I'm just envious of Marg. It would be nice to take back something stupid I said.

Marg,

Be careful what you joke about. The last time I joked about losing something I could do here, but no one else could, I lost my ability to post the word "job" with impunity. :-( It even showed up in the preview, but not in the actual post.

All good fun!

lisa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login