Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strange happenings in texts?

Posted by Erling 
Erling
Strange happenings in texts?
January 08, 2011 02:15PM
Sometimes a word winds up as **** when posted. Why is that? Is it some form of mistaken censorship? Can it be avoided?

I just noticed again some " and ' having been changed to some weird symbols. Why? How can that be avoided? The text had been scrutinized for errors and was absolutely clean when posted.

lisa s
Re: Strange happenings in texts?
January 09, 2011 12:51AM
Erling,

The four stars seem to appear any time a person types in " j o b ". Maybe Hans set it up so no one could solicit for work or something like that?

Your other comment made me curious, so I looked up a bunch of your posts, but couldn't find any problem. Your quotes were quotes, and no weird symbols appeared. Maybe there is something off in the way your computer is interacting with the BB? Is this recent? My husband, who works in IT suggests you use a different browser or update the version you are using.

lisa

Hans Larsen
January 09, 2011 04:46AM
this is a test

action potential "action potential" action "action" "refractory period" refractory period,

Hans Larsen
January 09, 2011 04:50AM
Erling,

I see the problem in your posting about the cardiac cycle. However, as you can see from the message below I am not able to reproduce the problem, so I really don't know how I can correct it. I can assure you that quotation marks are not censored on this bulletin board :~)

Hans

Hans Larsen
January 09, 2011 04:58AM
Lisa,

I hope you like the new colors. Maybe posters will frequent the General Health Board more frequently just to look at them :~)

I have noted the problem with the **** as well, but am at a loss to explain it. I am certainly not censoring the word ****or ****. I will try now to spell the words with an a instead of an o and see if that makes a difference.

Hans

Hans Larsen
January 09, 2011 05:00AM
perhaps it is the "j" j that is the problem?

Hans

Hans Larsen
January 09, 2011 05:01AM
how about jo?

Hans

Hans Larsen
January 09, 2011 05:03AM
I am afraid I can't figure this one out. Any suggestions from web wizards?

Hans

Hans Larsen
January 09, 2011 05:11AM
One last thought. The problem with the **** is clearly associated with the words j o b, j o b s, and j o g used in previous postings, but it now seems that using the words j a b and j a b s will cause a similar problem.

Hans

January 09, 2011 05:44AM
Sorry - I do not like the new colors... too glaring for eye comfort...maybe it's my monitor. Sorry. Makes me not want to linger and read... Jackie
Hans Larsen
January 09, 2011 05:59AM
Jackie,

I have toned it down a little.

Hans
lisa s
January 09, 2011 06:21AM
Hans,

It certainly makes it easier to tell which bb I'm on. Thank you, Hans. The yellow doesn't bother me personally, but I can see how it might, if one were sensitive. As a trained artist, I was taught that yellow can cause anxiety in some people. Red too. That's why people can paint their kitchens red or yellow, but can't tolerate it in their bedrooms. Me, my bedroom is yellow AND red, so obviously, I'm not sensitive. Maybe a blue or warm purple (eggplant not lilac)? But we aren't picky or ever complain here ;-)

lisa

p.s. I like how the thread gets moved to the top when there is any activity on it. It makes it easier to tell where the "traffic" is.

lisa s
January 09, 2011 06:43AM
Pink is cool!

lisa s
January 09, 2011 06:53AM
Let me rephrase that last statement. Reading the thread contents with the pink is great with the peach/navy/orange, but the thread list is hard on the eyes because green/pink are complementary colors, and when they are the same value (lightness to darkness) and same intensity (color saturation) and seen in a repeating pattern, a visual vibration occurs.

lisa

lisa s
January 09, 2011 09:28AM
Blue and pink is good, light blue is even better :-)

You can tell me to shut up if my comments aren't helpful ( or even wanted ). My skin is thick.

lisa

Erling
January 09, 2011 10:47AM
Thanks Hans!

You're doing a great ****!

Ere long.

lisa s
January 09, 2011 11:41AM
Hans,

I'm liking it, but now I feel like I'm a kid, sitting on the couch with my feet in the air, telling my mom she missed a spot while vacuuming. This was not my intention. It's looking better and better!

Erling,

I like your sense of humor and turn of phrase. It made me laugh out loud :-D

lisa

p.s. Is anyone else paying attention?

Erling
January 10, 2011 02:15AM
Lisa,

I'm paying attention, and laughing too! Gotta have fun. You drew a great picture! Where's everybody?

Erling

GeorgeN
January 10, 2011 02:37AM
Heck,

I just thought those **** were explicatives.

George
lisa s
January 10, 2011 02:38AM
Hans and Erling,

Look! I can do a new trick. job

lisa

Erling
January 10, 2011 03:45AM
Lisa, how'd you do that?

This thread has traction!! Maybe we've been too serious?

Erling

lisa s
January 10, 2011 04:06AM
Erling,

I went back to forum VIII and did a test to see what would happen. It just showed up correctly. That made me curious to see who else could do it and when it started. Jackie and a few others seem to be immune to the stars, too.

It started on 27 Sept, 2010 during a thread about panic attacks. Gordon was the first victim.

You even were able to slip the word "job" in on 27 Nov. Twice.

As to why it seems that some of us are able to do it, who knows. I use a Mac, maybe the others do, too. It would be fun to find out!

lisa

lisa s
January 10, 2011 04:15AM
I looked in forum IX, and Jackie isn't totally Immune. She's at about half.

I wish I knew more about computers. :-)

lisa

GeorgeN
January 10, 2011 12:50PM
The earliest occurrence I can find is here: "The LDL is the **** after the cell burns cholesterol to maintain life." Frank 05-29-10

<[www.afibbers.org];

At least in my tests, one of these tags around the text will work:

[ b ]bolded text[ /b ]
[ i ]italicized text[ /i ]
[ u ]underlined text[ /u ]
[ code ]monospaced text[ /code ]

Of course you remove the spaces in the [ ] to make it work. The results would be:
job
job
job
job
George
lisa s
January 10, 2011 01:57PM
George,

If you look at the text, I think that Frank was censoring himself. "job" doesn't fit but the French word starting with "s" an ending with "t" seems to fit :-)

I always wondered how to make a text bold or underlined, or italicized.

Thanks!

lisa

p.s. what's monospace?

GeorgeN
January 11, 2011 12:17AM
Monospace is useful if you want to enter a numerical table (columns) and have it look good.

Most computer text is proportionately spaced (i.e. different horizontal space for each letter). Courier font - is not.
January 11, 2011 01:25AM
George - That's what I thought as well... and I hadn't realized my texts also had this flaw...as as you know, I'd not be likely to use an expletive in my posts. winking smiley

Jackie
lisa s
January 11, 2011 12:20PM
George,

Is there a way to get to the sarcasm font? If not, someone should make one up, and spread the word :-)

lisa

GeorgeN
January 12, 2011 12:33AM
Lisa,

I'm afraid most of my posts would be full of it!! (Most people probably think I am anyway).

George
Marian from Miami
January 12, 2011 12:26PM
Hans,

This is my first time to read this thread; sorry I've been missing out on all the humor.

I really like the colors as they exist now. They make a nice distinction between the two forums.

Thanks so much,
Marian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login